First time selling a firearm.

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Killadocg23
Posts in topic: 9

First time selling a firearm.

Post by Killadocg23 »

As title says first time selling one of my firearms.Besides the bill of sale is ther anything else I need to be aware of? Is it mandatory to get the address of the person I am selling to? Or to get a copy of their DL or LTC?
What do you usually do when selling?

Thanks
David M

parabelum
Posts in topic: 1

Re: First time selling a firearm.

Post by parabelum »

I just prefer to see the TX CHL, that’s it. BOS is not required in TX.

Topic author
Killadocg23

Post by Killadocg23 »

parabelum wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:17 pm I just prefer to see the TX CHL, that’s it. BOS is not required in TX.
Thank you sir !

Syntyr
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Syntyr »

Killadocg23 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:08 pm As title says first time selling one of my firearms.Besides the bill of sale is ther anything else I need to be aware of? Is it mandatory to get the address of the person I am selling to? Or to get a copy of their DL or LTC?

Thanks
David M
Do what makes you comfortable. The law states that you may not sell to anyone you believe may not legally possess a firearm. So if you know the person is a felon or drug user or not a US Citizen etc... all of the usual cases. You can't sell to them.

Otherwise if you want a bill of sale or view their LTC or DL then do it. I have sold firearms to people I have known for a long time no questions asked. Others I have required an LTC and a BOS
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Syntyr wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:25 pm
Killadocg23 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:08 pm As title says first time selling one of my firearms.Besides the bill of sale is ther anything else I need to be aware of? Is it mandatory to get the address of the person I am selling to? Or to get a copy of their DL or LTC?

Thanks
David M
Do what makes you comfortable. The law states that you may not sell to anyone you believe may not legally possess a firearm. So if you know the person is a felon or drug user or not a US Citizen etc... all of the usual cases. You can't sell to them.

Otherwise if you want a bill of sale or view their LTC or DL then do it. I have sold firearms to people I have known for a long time no questions asked. Others I have required an LTC and a BOS
:iagree: This is pretty much what I do as well.

I like to get a feel for the person through a text exchange and/or over the phone. I pick an area to meet with a large parking lot (Academy's are always good), exchange vehicle descriptions so you both know who you are looking for. And make sure you get the deal agreed upon before you meet. I don't like to be haggling over price when we are standing in a parking lot.

Usually its a pleasant exchange, some small talk, and then they take a look at the gun and if they are happy, they pay me (in cash). vice versa if I'm buying. A bill of sale should be specified ahead of time, and the seller should fill out as much as they can before the meeting if one is being used.

Topic author
Killadocg23

Post by Killadocg23 »

Thank you gentleman. We are meeting at the local PD tommorow and fella says he has his LTC as well. I already filled out two BOS once for my records and one for his to make it go smoothly. I’ll just record his LTC number and record mine as well for peace of mind. Will report back tommrow.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ScottDLS »

Thanks
David M

I think many US legal permanent residents (I.e. green card holders) would be unnecessarily excluded if one only would sell to a US citizen. There is no federal or Texas law to that effect.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

Killadocg23 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:02 am Thank you gentleman. We are meeting at the local PD tommorow and fella says he has his LTC as well. I already filled out two BOS once for my records and one for his to make it go smoothly. I’ll just record his LTC number and record mine as well for peace of mind. Will report back tommrow.
I hope you made your expectations known for a BOS before meeting. I go as far as letting somebody see my LTC without handing it over. I won't fill out a BOS.
Psalm 91:2

Topic author
Killadocg23

Post by Killadocg23 »

SQLGeek wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:21 am [quote=Killadocg23 post_id=<a href="tel:1300547">1300547</a> time=<a href="tel:1608094965">1608094965</a> user_id=22639]
Thank you gentleman. We are meeting at the local PD tommorow and fella says he has his LTC as well. I already filled out two BOS once for my records and one for his to make it go smoothly. I’ll just record his LTC number and record mine as well for peace of mind. Will report back tommrow.
I hope you made your expectations known for a BOS before meeting. I go as far as letting somebody see my LTC without handing it over. I won't fill out a BOS.
[/quote]
SQLGeek wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:21 am
Killadocg23 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:02 am Thank you gentleman. We are meeting at the local PD tommorow and fella says he has his LTC as well. I already filled out two BOS once for my records and one for his to make it go smoothly. I’ll just record his LTC number and record mine as well for peace of mind. Will report back tommrow.
I’ve made it known that buyer must sign Bill of Sale in my ad. I won’t sell unless bill of sale is signed for MY peace of mind.

Thanks

David M

chamberc
Posts in topic: 2

Post by chamberc »

Killadocg23 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:33 am
SQLGeek wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:21 am [quote=Killadocg23 post_id=<a href="tel:1300547">1300547</a> time=<a href="tel:1608094965">1608094965</a> user_id=22639]
I’ve made it known that buyer must sign Bill of Sale in my ad. I won’t sell unless bill of sale is signed for MY peace of mind.

Thanks

David M
[/quote]

That's just weird. You don't need a BOS and I would never sign one with a private seller.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

ScottDLS wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:03 am

Thanks
David M

I think many US legal permanent residents (I.e. green card holders) would be unnecessarily excluded if one only would sell to a US citizen. There is no federal or Texas law to that effect.
Scott,

You are correct sir. I meant Legal TX resident and typed US Citizen. Was thinking about another post with election fraud and used the wrong class. I have a good friend who is a green card holder with his Texas LTC. Thanks.
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

Killadocg23 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:33 am I’ve made it known that buyer must sign Bill of Sale in my ad.
OK, that's good at least.

They aren't worth the paper they're printed on but at least you made it known. :cool:
Psalm 91:2

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

ScottDLS wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:03 am

Thanks
David M

I agree with you Scott. But ultimately, it's up to each party (buyer and seller) to decide what they feel comfortable with. Same for a BOS, or any other sale conditions.

Topic author
Killadocg23

Post by Killadocg23 »

Thanks gents for all the helpful answers. Transaction went smooth. Even got to keep my ammo and my LPVO. I got my money, buyer got his firearm. And we both got our BOS for records. Win situation for everybody :).

Topic author
Killadocg23

Post by Killadocg23 »

chamberc wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:47 am
Killadocg23 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:33 am

Thanks

David M
That's just weird. You don't need a BOS and I would never sign one with a private seller.
[/quote]

What’s weird for you may be normal for me. I find it weird that you wouldn’t want a BOS neither sign one. That’s weird to me.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”