Vortex Razor Gen II 3-18

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
jb2012
Posts in topic: 4

Vortex Razor Gen II 3-18

Post by jb2012 »

I need some glass for an 18” .223 build and was considering the razor 3-18.... however it weighs almost 3lbs :shock:

If anyone has one, is it just too much for an AR? I like the 1-10 but would rather a bit more magnification. This rifle isn’t lightweight to begin with either.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Vortex Razor Gen II 3-18

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I can’t speak to the Razor line, but I can’t speak highly enough of my Viper PST II 2-10x32 - https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-viper-p ... eticle=855. It has more than enough magnification to extend the range of a .223/5.56 weapon out to its practical limits.

It has a FFP MRAD reticle, fairly clean glass, and weighs 26.3 oz..... so less than 2 lbs. It’s one of my favorite scopes ever, including a couple that I paid more for.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

patterson

Post by patterson »

I have two Vortex Diamondback Tactical scopes with the VMR-1 (MOA) Reticle and they are relatively inexpensive scopes with good glass and a Lifetime Warranty

patterson

Post by patterson »

weight is 16.2 ounces

Topic author
jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

Thanks for the responses folks!
The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:46 pm I can’t speak to the Razor line, but I can’t speak highly enough of my Viper PST II 2-10x32 - https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-viper-p ... eticle=855. It has more than enough magnification to extend the range of a .223/5.56 weapon out to its practical limits.

It has a FFP MRAD reticle, fairly clean glass, and weighs 26.3 oz..... so less than 2 lbs. It’s one of my favorite scopes ever, including a couple that I paid more for.
TAM how’s the tracking? I hear lot’s of good things about the PST line, and it’s definitely in the running.

LTUME1978
Posts in topic: 1

Post by LTUME1978 »

I'll second The Annoyed Man's recommendation. I have two of the scopes he mentioned and they are very good, great for an AR. I have shot out to 600 yards with it and it did very well. I don't think you will be disappointed on the long range side and 2X is good for the short range side.

The Annoyed Man

Tracking is fine. FYI, Amazon has them for $849, which is a good deal.

The scope is also available with a MOA reticle, but I don’t have any experience with that one.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

patterson

Post by patterson »

You can get that Vortex Viper from Opticsplanet for $ 819.99

The Annoyed Man

patterson wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:20 pm You can get that Vortex Viper from Opticsplanet for $ 819.99
An even better price.........IF they have it in stock. I haven’t always had good luck with them, even when there wasn’t any panic buying.

#TINVOWOOT

patterson

Post by patterson »

When I ordered my last Vortex scope from Opticsplanet it was on backorder with no date given but it shipped like 5 days later

The Annoyed Man

patterson wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:17 pm When I ordered my last Vortex scope from Opticsplanet it was on backorder with no date given but it shipped like 5 days later
Excellent!

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

Finally! I bought the viper pst about a week after everyone left their advice, but the forum has been down. I haven’t had the chance to shoot it, but the glass seems great (for sub $1k), turrets are crisp, reticle is sharp. Now if the ATF would get some stamps back to me :coolgleamA:

Here is the final product awaiting a fresh coat of krylon :lol::

(Click image for full view)

The Annoyed Man

You made the right choice. FYI, although .223/5.56 won’t reliably reach that far, snipers and other marksmen used 10x scopes for years to shoot out to 1000 yards, before higher magnification scopes became available. Your Vortex is more than enough glass for your AR. Congratulations. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it.

Mine is currently mounted to a Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308.

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:15 am You made the right choice. FYI, although .223/5.56 won’t reliably reach that far, snipers and other marksmen used 10x scopes for years to shoot out to 1000 yards, before higher magnification scopes became available. Your Vortex is more than enough glass for your AR. Congratulations. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it.

Sharp scout rifle. I’ve been told that past 100 yds a .308 bolt gun suppressed (even supers) is very hard to discern direction. I’m going to experiment with this soon. (With a camera/mic of course)

The Annoyed Man

jb2012 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:40 pm
The Annoyed Man wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:15 am You made the right choice. FYI, although .223/5.56 won’t reliably reach that far, snipers and other marksmen used 10x scopes for years to shoot out to 1000 yards, before higher magnification scopes became available. Your Vortex is more than enough glass for your AR. Congratulations. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it.

Sharp scout rifle. I’ve been told that past 100 yds a .308 bolt gun suppressed (even supers) is very hard to discern direction. I’m going to experiment with this soon. (With a camera/mic of course)
Caliber is irrelevant. If someone fires a suppressed supersonic bullet at you, you’ll still be able to tell the general direction it came from. You just won’t be able to easily locate the specific spot it came from. And beyond a certain distance, the supersonic crack of the bullet is much louder than the muzzle report of even an unsuppressed rifle. This video is a good demonstration:

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”