Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
oljames3
Posts in topic: 1

Houston, Texas, Mom Shoots At Aggressive Dog And Misses Horribly

Post by oljames3 »

Active Self Protection narrated video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOpTE1DrhCw
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Paladin
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Houston, Texas, Mom Shoots At Aggressive Dog And Misses Horribly

Post by Paladin »

Good video! Great comments from John.

Animal attacks are the number one threat. Been there done that. OC spray typically works best for these situations.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

Paladin wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:30 pm Good video! Great comments from John.

Animal attacks are the number one threat. Been there done that. OC spray typically works best for these situations.
Our dog was nearly killed by a pit bull that got loose. I called our animal control and the officer who showed up had me so angry that I couldn't see straight. But one of her points was that OC did not work with many of the breeds that will attack and kill smaller dogs. She claimed that pit bulls got an undeserved reputation over the other breeds but that they were an example of the type of dog which would not stop just because they were in pain. So my question is: have you had experience with OC working on a dog? I carry it but am now not very confident in deploying it. I carry the wipes for it, too, but in some of the situations where I was charged by dogs while riding my bike, the wind was not in my favor and I would have ended up spraying myself and needing the wipes.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

chasfm11 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:03 am
Paladin wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:30 pm Good video! Great comments from John.

Our dog was nearly killed by a pit bull that got loose. I called our animal control and the officer who showed up had me so angry that I couldn't see straight. But one of her points was that OC did not work with many of the breeds that will attack and kill smaller dogs. She claimed that pit bulls got an undeserved reputation over the other breeds but that they were an example of the type of dog which would not stop just because they were in pain. So my question is: have you had experience with OC working on a dog? I carry it but am now not very confident in deploying it. I carry the wipes for it, too, but in some of the situations where I was charged by dogs while riding my bike, the wind was not in my favor and I would have ended up spraying myself and needing the wipes.
I have considerable experience USING OC on dogs. It takes a few seconds for the full effect and has always been 100% effective for me. If you don't have a few seconds... then shooting is probably your best option.

Pepper Spray and Dogs: 4 Things You Need to Know
As many employees of the U.S. Postal Service know, pepper spray is one of the most effective weapons to deter dog attacks. Inexpensive, compact and effective, it can repel aggressive canines without causing any lasting or long-term damage to them...

Dogs have extremely sensitive noses, eyes and ears, so the amount of pepper required to halt their aggression is not as high as the strength formulated for humans.

Spraying an aggressive dog will irritate the nose, eyes and skin, temporarily incapacitating it, without causing long-term damage if used correctly.

Make sure to use pepper spray specially formulated for dogs. These have lower concentrations of pepper than sprays made for deterring human or bear attacks.
I strongly question the comments from your animal control officer.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

In the 16-year period of 2005 through 2020, canines killed 568 Americans. Pit bulls contributed to 67% (380) of these deaths. Combined, pit bulls and rottweilers contributed to 76% of the total recorded deaths.
dogsbite.org

I've got nothing against Pit Bulls or Rottweilers... but numbers don't lie.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

Paladin wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:35 am
In the 16-year period of 2005 through 2020, canines killed 568 Americans. Pit bulls contributed to 67% (380) of these deaths. Combined, pit bulls and rottweilers contributed to 76% of the total recorded deaths.
dogsbite.org

I've got nothing against Pit Bulls or Rottweilers... but numbers don't lie.
Unfortunately these dogs are acquired by people that fail to teach the dogs manners or worse, want them to be aggressive! A dog especially a big dog needs to be taught to mind, they must know you are the Alpha and they are subservient!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Return to “Never Again!!”