Scary situation last night

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

kappatiff
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Scary situation last night

Post by kappatiff »

I'm new to the gun world, but am experienced with teens ... I am a high school teacher and yes, they can be not only stupid, but wretched little beings. Yes, there are good ones, so please no child-huggers flaming me about loving all children, etc. The reality is that they CAN be incredibly dangerous and harmful and get worse every year. We're around FtW which is a pretty significantly different crowd than Dallas though.

I have no idea what the right thing to do would have been, but I'm with you - still a little uneasy at the thought of carrying with one in the chamber. Guess I'll have to get over that, given the responses of the other posters.

Anyway, if it were me, I'd have immediately called 911 and at least given them a location. In my experience, if the kids are THAT brazen, I'd expect that they're either high or drunk, and if you tell the cops that, it very well may light a fire. I'm a 27 year old female, teaching balsy High School boys, and while I've seen some crazy stuff, I can't imagine any of the kids out here doing such things. Again - different crowd though. If the cops came though, watching them give run some idiot kids through the gamut, is highly rewarding I'm sure. :cool:
{The best defense against a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun}

fm2
Posts in topic: 2

Post by fm2 »

kappatiff wrote: .... still a little uneasy at the thought of carrying with one in the chamber. Guess I'll have to get over that, given the responses of the other posters.
Most people have the same feeling at first. Then with some more range time, introspection and reading about real criminal assaults the loaded chamber issue gets revisited. Getting to a defensive handgun class goes a long way in confidence building as well as skill building. It gets us closer to where we want to be, effective.

kappatiff wrote: Anyway, if it were me, I'd have immediately called 911 and at least given them a location..... If the cops came though, watching them give run some idiot kids through the gamut, is highly rewarding I'm sure. :cool:
That's a great idea.

Thanks for being a teacher.
:thumbs2:
“It is the belief that violence is an aberration that is dangerous because it lulls us into forgetting how easily violence may erupt in quiescent places.” S. Pinker

MBGuy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by MBGuy »

I know the feeling of being aphrensive of having one in the chamber. Why don't you study in detail how it is that your gun CAN'T just go off by itself. That's what I did. I now carry my P239 with one in the chamber, with a horizontal shoulder holster to boot. Of course that's only during business hours under a dress shirt. Who knows where that muzzle is pointing at, or who it's pointing at, during the day. But that trigger is under heavy protection under very heavy leather, and I KNOW it won't just go off by itself. I looked into why it could not go off by itself, and that finally gave me the confidence to carry it that way. Otherwise, yes, it's just a chunk of steel.
Harry
NRA Endowment Life Member
Sig P239-40
"Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing."

drw

Post by drw »

MBGuy wrote:Why don't you study in detail how it is that your gun CAN'T just go off by itself. That's what I did.
Do you recall where did you read this? Having that information readily available would be very helpful (I'd personally love to read more about this.)

MBGuy

Post by MBGuy »

drw wrote:
MBGuy wrote:Why don't you study in detail how it is that your gun CAN'T just go off by itself. That's what I did.
Do you recall where did you read this? Having that information readily available would be very helpful (I'd personally love to read more about this.)
No, I wish I could. All I can remember is that I read that there's a block in the way to the firing pin when the trigger is not pulled. I think there was 2 other safeties, but I can't recall.

But it was obviously quite convincing! :lol:
Harry
Sig P239-40
"Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing."

lunchbox
Posts in topic: 4

Post by lunchbox »

buy a 1911 and be done with it :fire
"I have two guns. One for each of ya" Doc Holiday
"Out here, due process is a bullet."
"Why Johnny Ringo, you look like somebody just walked over your grave."
"forgiveness is between them and god its my job to arrange the meeting" man on fire

Liberty
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Liberty »

lunchbox wrote:buy a 1911 and be done with it :fire
Yeah sure!! There was a thread just this week about where a guy dropped his RIA only 3 feet and it went off.

Some 1911s can go off by themselves. Most modern weapons can't, but as I understand it is possible for some 1911s to go off without the trigger being pulled. Thats one of the reasons they reinvented the 1911 with the model 80.

We CHL carriers, pay a lot of attention to style, caliber, and trigger, but I suspect that some of us don't really take time to compare and understand safety features as well as we might.
Last edited by Liberty on Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

drw wrote:
Different guns have different safety mechanisms or 'systems" if you wish.

Guns that are California approved have been drop tested.

Most guns today can't go off, without the trigger being pulled. Until the trigger is pulled the the firing pin is blocked. pulling the trigger removes the block then releases the hammer.

Guns with manual safeties isolate the firing pin.

A holster should make it impossble for fingers or anything else to access the trigger. Until the gun is drawn.

Before I buy a gun Concealed carry I find an owners manual and go over it until I completely understand how it works. We buy a hand gun to protect ourselves not expose ourselves to more danger. I make the the assumption that I will eventually drop my gun, get involved in an automobile accident with my gun or fall. These actually are more likely to happen to me than I would be required to draw my gun. Safety starts with the gun purchase and thay aren't all built the same, and what works well for one, won't always work for another.

I carry chambered and am confident of my safety while carrying.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

lunchbox

Post by lunchbox »

Liberty wrote:
Yeah sure!! There was a thread just this week about where a guy dropped his RIA only 3 feet and it went off.

Some 1911s can go off by themselves. Most modern weapons can't, but as I understand it is possible for some 1911s to go off without the trigger being pulled. Thats one of the reasons they reinvented the 1911 with the model 70.

We CHL carriers, pay a lot of attention to style, caliber, and trigger, but I suspect that some of us don't really take time to compare and understand safety features as well as we might.
the gun in question is a RIA wile a solid wepon its cheap and the design dates way back to the 50s im told
i have one just like the one in question and it has been dropped and i did not experience the same result as that is a rare situation.and from what others said can be fixed with a stiff firing pin spring. newer design 1911s wont have this problem. the gun is only as safe as the person operating it my advice dont drop your gun "rlol"
"I have two guns. One for each of ya" Doc Holiday
"Out here, due process is a bullet."
"Why Johnny Ringo, you look like somebody just walked over your grave."
"forgiveness is between them and god its my job to arrange the meeting" man on fire

MBGuy

Post by MBGuy »

It's a new day, so I just remembered something.....

Someone, here from the forum I believe, dropped their Sig on concrete so hard it bent the hammer, but it didn't go off. He had to replace the hammer.

I've dropped mine, luckily on carpet, but still a distance of around 4 feet. Made me go :shock: , then :oops: , then :mad5 for allowing that to happen. Oh yeah, it didn't go off.
Harry
Sig P239-40

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

lunchbox wrote:
Liberty wrote:

Some 1911s can go off by themselves. Most modern weapons can't, but as I understand it is possible for some 1911s to go off without the trigger being pulled. Thats one of the reasons they reinvented the 1911 with the model 70.

the gun in question is a RIA wile a solid wepon its cheap and the design dates way back to the 50s im told
i have one just like the one in question and it has been dropped and i did not experience the same result as that is a rare situation.and from what others said can be fixed with a stiff firing pin spring. newer design 1911s wont have this problem. the gun is only as safe as the person operating it my advice dont drop your gun "rlol"
Good advice, but I'm also talking about carry guns, guns that for some of us are worn and kept with us 24 hours a day, days a week, 365 days a year. Requirements for a range gun, or even home protection are different and may not be as extreme. The odds are pretty good for anyone that carries that someday they will drop their gun. Seeing as though I have dropped 2 cell phones in a swimming pool, and one under an 18 wheeler it is something I'm painfully aware of. I've never dropped a handgun, but i can't say it can't happen to me. Dropping isn't the only issue, car accidents or even some kind of fall come into play.

Again this is all in referance to the the OP where he isn't comfortable carrying in with one in the chamber. I believe understanding and selecting a handgun one has confidence in has a lot to do with this. A lot of people are uncomfortable with the 1911 hammer seeing it cocked back and ready to go, a realistic and full understanding of how these internal safetys work (if they exist) can be a big help in confidence. Telling someone that a 1911 , Glock or any other gun can't go off accidentally isn't good enough. It is important to understand the features of our handguns and exactly how these features work.

BTW: Just because a gun has been dropped on its muzzle and didn't go off doesn't mean that it won't the next time.
Liberty''s Blog

bdickens

Post by bdickens »

I dropped my Glock once from about waist high :oops: and it didn't even scuff the finish.
Byron Dickens

Topic author
jeeperbryan

Post by jeeperbryan »

Liberty, so what do you recommend as a safe CCW? Just curious because I went to the gun show yesterday and I'm still torn. Honestly, the gun that felt best in my hand was the Taurus PT-140. I'm not a huge fan of Taurus and have heard of issues with their Millenium series so I'm thinking I need to keep looking.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

jeeperbryan wrote:Liberty, so what do you recommend as a safe CCW? Just curious because I went to the gun show yesterday and I'm still torn. Honestly, the gun that felt best in my hand was the Taurus PT-140. I'm not a huge fan of Taurus and have heard of issues with their Millenium series so I'm thinking I need to keep looking.
flame suit is on!!

I couldn't recommend a weapon, because everyone is different and the safety features work for different people in different ways, and to be be honest every gun is design is a compromise of safety, features, price, reliability and performance.

My advice is to pick a design and model that has been around for a while along with a manufacturer who has a reputation for safety and reliability.

I Prefer sa/da with a manual safety. I know just looking at the weapon that the gun is in pretty safe in that condition. My thumb has been educated to sweep whenever I go to the make ready position. I do believe that most 1911s are pretty safe but I find the hammer being back is a little creepy. I know its not gonna fall all on its own, but safety can have a lot to do with feeling comfortable. Your millage can vary. I do feel that reliability is a part of safety. I would hope that anyone that carrys any gun put a lot of ammo down range before they decide to trust it. 1911s can be finnicky particularly during breakin.

I don't care for Glocks, and DAO, but they work just fine for lots of other people. The no safety with double action just doesn't work for me. However if one is absolutely confident in their gun handling abilities, boogerhook control and always absolutely keeps it holstered they can be a safe gun. Just not for me..

Now There are many people with far more knowledge and experiance than me who have other opinions and their opinions are certainly with validation.

I have 2 carry guns. A Beretta 92Fs and a Ruger Stainless P95. Both are on the big side for concealed carry, but work fine for me. The Ruger is my primary carry weapon. but both guns operate very much the same. The Safety is similarly located. both are DA/SA and both are more accurate than I. Neither gun cost more than $400. Switching from one to the other is transparent. (except for carry method). I wouldn't recommend them as an everyday carry for most people because of their size and bulk even though it works for me.

There are some Taurus I feel might be good for every day CC but I would really want to put them through the ringer at the range before trusted them. Ive heard real good things about them reliability wise, but the occassional horror story seems to come out once in a while.

I think the important thing though is to find out what the safety features are, understanding them, and deciding what is important to you.
Liberty''s Blog

israel67

Post by israel67 »

He speak dah troof!! :iagree:

How long now until August 2009 ..? :thewave
שמע, ישראל: יהוה אלהינו, יהוה אחד

Return to “Never Again!!”