Random, unprovoked violence

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
seamusTX
Posts in topic: 13

Post by seamusTX »

I'm sorry to hear it's getting worse in Sugar Land. That seems to happen when a lot of people move into an area that was formerly isolated.

Galveston is actually getting better. Ten years ago there was a lot of burglary and car theft. Most of the reported crime now is domestic or between gangsters or drunk tourists.

(As far as I'm concerned, the gangsters can all snuff each other and the cops can arrest the last one standing.)

Later: Sheesh. I typed this, then went out to get a newspaper. Headline: "Husband of UTMB dean attacked by masked men"

The man went out to walk the dog in the evening and was jumped by three men at the bottom of the stairs. (This is on the west end, where most homes are on stilts.) One man made a comment about the victim's wife, implying a connection to layoffs at UTMB.

This is precisely the type of upscale neighborhood where people don't expect this kind of thing to happen.

It sounds like they could have used a more territorial dog.

http://news.galvestondailynews.com/stor ... 42fe410b33

- Jim

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Update: Dr. Wameeth Fadhli, who allegedly shot a man in Dickinson 13 months ago, is on trail for aggravated assault.
Fadhli reportedly had been in a nearby convenience store minutes earlier when a man struck him in an unrelated altercation. Prosecutors Bill Reed and Paige Santell allege that Fadhli mistook Scott for his attacker.

Scott said he and a man in a Jeep struggled over a gun the motorist had brandished, before “numerous shots were fired,� two of which hit and wounded Scott.

“I just fell,� Scott said. “I thought I had just tripped.�

Defense attorney Margaret Hindman asked Scott whether he was on drugs and whether Scott could have worked his own fingers near the gun’s trigger during the struggle.

Scott answered “no,� to both questions.
http://news.galvestondailynews.com/stor ... cabb3f7ae7
- Jim

WarHawk-AVG
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WarHawk-AVG »

WOW...im glad there is new info on this...otherwise you would have been smote for digging up a year old post!
Drive-by trial begins for ex-doctor

By Scott E. Williams
The Daily News

Published August 8, 2007
DICKINSON — Testimony began Tuesday in the trial of a former University of Texas Medical Branch doctor accused of shooting a Dickinson man in what prosecutors called a case of mistaken identity.

Bennie Lee Scott, 21, took the witness stand in the 405th State District Court on Tuesday and described the minutes leading up to his being shot in the torso and left shoulder.

Scott said he was talking with an acquaintance on Avenue D, near Deats Road, when he heard an unfamiliar voice.

“He said, ‘You’re the guy who hit me,’� Scott said.

Dr. Wameeth Fadhli, 34, faces a charge of aggravated assault in the shooting.

Fadhli reportedly had been in a nearby convenience store minutes earlier when a man struck him in an unrelated altercation. Prosecutors Bill Reed and Paige Santell allege that Fadhli mistook Scott for his attacker.

Scott said he and a man in a Jeep struggled over a gun the motorist had brandished, before “numerous shots were fired,� two of which hit and wounded Scott.

“I just fell,� Scott said. “I thought I had just tripped.�

Defense attorney Margaret Hindman asked Scott whether he was on drugs and whether Scott could have worked his own fingers near the gun’s trigger during the struggle.

Scott answered “no,� to both questions.

After the shooting, Scott went to the medical branch in Galveston for treatment.

The same hospital system later suspended Fadhli, eventually terminating him. At the time of the shooting, Fadhli was a second-year pediatrics resident.

The charge carries a possible prison term of two to 20 years, as well as a fine of up to $10,000.

Testimony in the case resumes today.
So some guy pops this doctor..the then goes and shoots some dude who he thinks is the guy who hit him....isn't that premeditated murder, not aggravated assault...good grief many holes in this story

Old posts say the dude was riding his bike and the doc rolled up in his vehicle and did a driveby
A sheepdog says "I will lead the way. I will set the highest standards. ...Your mission is to man the ramparts in this dark and desperate hour with honor and courage." - Lt. Col. Grossman
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’ - Edmond Burke

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Molon_labe wrote:So some guy pops this doctor..the then goes and shoots some dude who he thinks is the guy who hit him....isn't that premeditated murder, not aggravated assault...
No one died.

The prosecutors go for the worst charge they can prove easily. Aggravated assault get result in a 20-year sentence, though most prisoners get out much earlier if they behave.

- Jim

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Trial now in its seventh day: http://news.galvestondailynews.com/stor ... ab50d52f03

I have no further comment at this time.

- Jim

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Case goes to the jury: http://news.galvestondailynews.com/stor ... 2c8a36dba4

I had not read before that the person who was shot became permanently disabled.
Days after the shooting, Fadhli told sheriff’s deputies the 9mm pistol was not his, but admitted this week he had brought the weapon as he sought the man who had attacked him twice at a convenience store that was near both the scene of the shooting and Fadhli’s home.
- Jim

nitrogen
Posts in topic: 1

Post by nitrogen »

After getting a tour of Tent City, a Maricopa County jail in Arizona, Every prison looks like a cakewalk to me.

Sheriff Joe Arpaio, faced with an overcrowded county jail, was faced with a $70 million dollar price tag for a new jail. Instead, he spent $100K on Tent City.

you can see it via google maps, here: http://tinyurl.com/2m7eva
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Jury returns a guilty verdict after two days of deliberation: http://news.galvestondailynews.com/stor ... 05912c64d0

Sentencing hearing today (Friday).

Coincidentally, I drove through the area where this incident occured, State Highway 3 and Deats Road in Dickinson. It is a poor, run-down neighborhood on the edge of town. I had not realized that parts of Dickinson were like that.

- Jim
Last edited by seamusTX on Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Sentence: 10 years probation and a $10,000 fine.

http://news.galvestondailynews.com/stor ... 98b072ba57

We never know all the details of cases like this that are reported in the media. The jury deliberated for a long time, which could indicate that it was a complicated situation, or just that the jury members didn't agree.

It sounds like the man was involved in a couple of altercations and went looking for the other guy. Now his career is destroyed and his future prospects limited.

BTW, this man was widely labeled a terrorist by bloggers at the time of the incident. He was born in the U.S.

- Jim

WarHawk-AVG

Post by WarHawk-AVG »

I must say that verdict was not right

The guy is paralyzed for the rest of his life and the doc gets 10 years probation and pays a fraction of what he earned in a year

So its ok now for someone to snap and just shoot someone crippling him for life?

I'll stop now and say Justice WAS NOT served

Well no the civil lawsuit will ensue
A sheepdog says "I will lead the way. I will set the highest standards. ...Your mission is to man the ramparts in this dark and desperate hour with honor and courage." - Lt. Col. Grossman
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’ - Edmond Burke

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Isn't it ironic how our communities moral compass is steered mainly by a respect for human life, and that our means to take a life in the defense of ourselves or others appears to some, to be the opposite...

This really is a great discussion so far...

A good example is another "new" thread a member here posted...

http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_F ... php?t=9482
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Molon_labe wrote:The guy is paralyzed for the rest of his life and the doc gets 10 years probation and pays a fraction of what he earned in a year

So its ok now for someone to snap and just shoot someone crippling him for life?

I'll stop now and say Justice WAS NOT served
I've been thinking about this. We're accustomed to the idea of prison as punishment, but what purpose would it serve? The convicted man apparently made a series of bad descisions under stress, but he doesn't sound like a potential repeat offender.

He will be a felon and limited in what he can do for the rest of his life.
Molon_labe wrote:Well no the civil lawsuit will ensue
Why not? The only reason not to sue may be that the defendant has no assets.

- Jim

WarHawk-AVG

Post by WarHawk-AVG »

oops..typo..I meant NOW the civil lawsuit will ensue

Sorry...big fat fingers typing here

dukalmighty

Post by dukalmighty »

I have a little different angle on this maybe it was a slow night and Dr. Death was out drumming up a little business or maybe he needed some practice on gunshot wounds,I apologize i got a weird sense of humour but my mind comes up with this stuff on it's own

Return to “Never Again!!”