So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 1

Georgia teen accidentally shot to death during target practice

Post by philip964 »

https://nypost.com/2021/04/02/teen-fata ... officials/

Had just picked up her cap and gown for graduation.

Everyone cooperating with police. Not taught gun safety rules.

baseballguy2001

Re: Georgia teen accidentally shot to death during target practice

Post by baseballguy2001 »

Prosecute the gun owner. Allowing a minor access to a firearm is a crime. These laws are never enforced after a tragedy, and I think it's wrong. Responsible gun owners don't allow unsupervised access to firearms. Period. Throw the book at the gun owner.
7.30.08 -- Plastic in hand (99 days)
04.01.18--2nd Renewal
05.05.18-- Plastic

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

This makes me sooo mad! What a waste! :mad5

I was nearly shot by my baby sitter when I was 11. She found my moms derringer, which was not properly secured, and was playing with it. Freaked my mom out and all the guns were removed from the house. As a result it lead to an intense fascination with guns on my part. However, I vowed to do it “right”! I became the family gun guy. All of the kids, nieces and nephews and their friends knew that practically any weekend all they had to do was ask I would put together a range trip.

I took the mystique away from the guns. Every single person was trained and tested on the 4 rules and proper handling of firearms. For most it became an occasional thing but they all knew how to be safe. One niece took to it like a duck to water. She wound up joining the Army and qualifying as an army sharpshooter. She is my pride and joy!

Her first trip to the range age 13

Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

baseballguy2001 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:41 am Prosecute the gun owner. Allowing a minor access to a firearm is a crime. These laws are never enforced after a tragedy, and I think it's wrong. Responsible gun owners don't allow unsupervised access to firearms. Period. Throw the book at the gun owner.
Texas law is allowing access to a person YOUNGER than 17. Georgia is below 18. I disagree with these laws in some aspects, because I was shooting and hunting by myself at a much younger age. I personally would like to see the addition of ‘unless they have received formal training’ as a requirement.

And, we don’t know for sure that the parent weren’t allowing the target practice. It appears she shot frequently. Also, we don’t know level of training they had. More than likely little and we don’t know what level the training was.

No matter, a family has lost a child due to negligent handling of a firearm. :sad:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “Never Again!!”