Press check caught an empty chamber

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Kalrog
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Kalrog »

I carry a revolver... how do I press check? It is like I want to sneeze and it keeps going away. I get no relief! :lol:

Baytown
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Baytown »

Kalrog, you never learned how to "press check" a wheel gun?

Pull it out of the holster and point it at you. You should be able to see the bullets in the cylinder looking back!!

By the way for those with no sense of humor, I am joking, I just could not pass that up. I wanted to fall on the floor the first time I saw someone do that for real though.

See Braden hang around here long enough and we will corrupt---I mean educate you on the ways of the oppsessive compulsive press checkers.
Glenn

txminime

Post by txminime »

This thread reminds me of something that happened at Thunder Ranch a couple of years ago. It was the first day at the range of a DH1 class. My friend and his son(Joel) was attending the class and I was hanging out at the clubhouse at the back of the range watching the class. FWIW, Clint doesn't normally allows visitors on the range, but how I ended up there is a whole different story...

Anyway, Joel was not an experienced shooter and was having a hard time breaking the habit of handling his 1911 as if he's afraid of breaking it. After lunch, everyone was back on the firing line and Clint was marching up and down the firing line barking commands and instructions. As he walk past Joel, he gave the command to load the empty gun (they were doing dry firing drills prior to this) and perform a system check. Now keep in mind that Clint walks a pretty brisk pace and he was looking straight across the firing line as he was giving the command... Clint took two more steps, stopped, turned around and walked right up to the right rear side of Joel and asked if he is sure the gun is loaded. Joel answered "yes". Clint then asked if he would like to bet $5 on this. Joel again answered "yes". Clint then dropped the magazine from the gun and opened the action to show Joel an empty chamber.

After this little incident, Joel is now a firm believer in what Clint was teaching about doing system checks, inserting magazines with a firm smack to the bottom of the magazine, and works the slide as if he is trying to pull it off the gun. :lol:

To this day, I'm still amazed that Clint was observant enough to catch the sound of a gun closing on an empty chamber while barking out commands. It looks like all these years have not slowed him down one bit.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

txminime: Welcome to TexasCHLforum!

It is amazing how Clint can take in everything on the firing line while seemingly concentrating on something else.

Chas.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Welcome aboard tx, a very good 1st post.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

Longtooth - its good to see you back on the job!
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Return to “Never Again!!”