Road Trip

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
GreenGuy

Road Trip

Post by GreenGuy »

I just made it back from a 14hour road trip, was packing in an ankle holster the entire trip. I would remove the holster and weapon and put them in the door panel during the drive, and have the weapon back on for all rest stops and gas stops. The trip was a complete success, but I learned something that I want to pass on.

Coming back into the state, I stopped at a rest area, my wife had to use the rest room, so I stayed in the vehicle with my sleeping daughter. I usually think I have very good situational awareness, and watched this young man walk down the sidewalk towards the rest room. I watched him in the rearview mirror, then the side mirror, then out the windows, as he got to the front right fender of my car, we actually made eye contact, then he stopped, waved, and walked towards the passenger door. He made a motion to put the window down to ask a question. This is where I was caught off guard.

I put the window down, door is unlocked, window fully down, he leans towards the car and starts talking, explaining how he lost his wallet at the last gast station, went back and it was gone, he only had about 100 miles more to go, but needed cash for gas, seemed honest, and sincere, and I was completely relaxed. Not once did I think about reaching for the weapon in my ankle holster.

Then as I am a nice guy I reach for my wallet, pull out $20 and hand it to him. He thanks me, shakes my hand and presses on.

The whole time I was engaged in converstation, I was pre-occupied, I didn't notice his brother in law walk up on my left side and go tell their sob story to another motorist.

I have never felt so vulnerable. Even though I had NO reason to suspect foul play, I was completely wrong in putting the window down all the way. Reaching for my wallet, letting him see how much cash I had on me, as I sat defenseless buckled in my drivers seat it could have gone down hill fast.

My wife came back from the rest room, got in the car and we drove off. I told her the whole story, and she looked at me couldn't believe I put the window down.

This really opened my eyes, because I have been carrying for many many years now, and always feel that I am AWARE [abbreviated profanity deleted] what goes on around me, but when confronted, I immediatly lost all focus.

I have no reason to believe that this is anything more than a motorist who needed cash to finish their trip, but it could have been real bad.

Don't do that!

gigag04
Posts in topic: 1

Post by gigag04 »

I actually think you got suckered, but the Bible does say to give to whoever asks so ya done good I guess.

I'm unsure on how I would've reacted. Probably cracked the window and had my hand in the door pocket with a good battle grip. Idunno though.

Glad you're ok.

-nick
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

one eyed fatman
Banned

Post by one eyed fatman »

They use to say "For every sucker born theres two to take him". I think it like 20 to one now. Ya gotta be careful.

Topic author
GreenGuy

Post by GreenGuy »

I did kinda feel like a sucker, but these folks were driving a really crappy car, and I wasn't, I figured, after it was all said and done, $20 isn't going to change my life any, and I'm sure it will theirs.

I was more upset at how vulnerable I was in that situation than the $20.
Last edited by GreenGuy on Wed May 31, 2006 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 2

Post by txinvestigator »

Just a thought. I am opposed to removing the weapon from my person while driving. If you have to exit the vehicle quickly for a any reason, you are likely to not have the gun.

I keep it on me, and when I travel I keep another one stored within quick reach.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Lumberjack98

Post by Lumberjack98 »

Thanks for sharing your story.
NRA Lifetime Member
TSRA Lifetime Member

yerasimos

Post by yerasimos »

The original post is a textbook reason why I *hate* sitting in parked/immobile cars while others are walking around nearby; my bipedal mobility and weapon access are hampered so much when sitting in a car.

In the situation, GreenGuy, you could have exited the car and locked it with the daughter sleeping inside (tinted windows and cracked-open sunroof?), while you "stretched your legs" nearby where you could keep an eye on your vehicle, and had ready access to a strong-side belt carried gun that you should have been carrying. Sort of a nearby overwatch position, if you will, where you were positioned to come to the aid of either your daughter in the car, or your wife in the restrooms. This act might ping the radar screen of an astute observer, but hopefully such an observer would also have the good sense to leave an aware and potentially armed person alone.

If someone hits you up for cash, say that you only have a couple bucks in your pocket. (Disperse your cash; do not let a wallet snatcher clean you out in one grab.) Or just say that you do not have anything for him. (All too true in my case, since I already decided I am not giving him anything.) And I really dislike shaking hands with strangers, or even handing something directly to strangers, since it compromises weapon access and gets you close enough to them so they can try something.

Soft-focus of the eyes is better for keeping subjects under observation without inviting them to engage you visually or in conversation. When you made direct eye contact with the other guy, he saw the mark he was looking for and moved in.
txinvestigator wrote:Just a thought. I am opposed to removing the weapon from my person while driving. If you have to exit the vehicle quickly for a any reason, you are likely to not have the gun.

I keep it on me, and when I travel I keep another one stored within quick reach.
Agreed in principle. Two is one, one is none. Keep at least one accessible in the seated position, and the rest carried as normal. If I had to quickly exit the vehicle, I would only lose one gun but keep each of the others.

HOSSISFREE

Post by HOSSISFREE »

I'd say you are lucky that the 2 guys were not VIOLENT criminals, just scam artists. Yes I believe they are. I drive all over Houston A LOT for work, and see all sorts of scams occur. As I am usually situationally aware at all times.

You're lucky that the 2nd guy was asking another rest stop patron for money, instead of coming up on your driver's side door while you were distracted by the other fella.

If someone I do not know approaches my car while I am stopped, I wave them on, and say loud enough for them to hear through the window "No Thanks! Move on!". So what if that's rude. My life is worth a lot more than some stranger's feelings.

Have you ever noticed that beggars almost never approach a car until you make a gesture that you are offering money? Someone agressive enough to approach my car may very well be interested in something more than just a couple bucks.

Hoss
..." it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness." ~ Declaration of Independence!

Topic author
GreenGuy

Post by GreenGuy »

When I am driving intown, the weapon is always on my person, I didn't take it off until I was well up to highway speed, I do understand the need to always have it on my person incase of a quick exit, but during a 14 hour drive, I felt more comfortable with it in the door pocket, it is on the way out of the car so I would have been able to grab it had I needed to exit that quickly. But none the less point well taken.

As far as them being scam artists, again, my thoughts at this point, is I can't believe that I actually lost focus, and fell for this. Again not concerned about the money but the fact that I was a sitting duck.

At previous stops I would do just as mentioned above, get out, strech my legs, keep an eye out etc, but this one stop was just a quick stop and go, we weren't there more than 5 minutes, I got careless, and complacent. Two things that I will never do again.

Thanks for the advice, I am not new to carrying, but I am new to carrying in a bigger city where there are a lot more opportunities. I think I have learned my lesson, but man am I disappointed.

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Think of the situation this way: You paid $20 for a learning experience, and no one got hurt. You probably will not make the same mistake again.

- Jim

isa268

Post by isa268 »

http://themartialist.com/0104/beggarploys.htm

http://themartialist.com/0104/affirm.htm

http://themartialist.com/0703/offramp.htm

as a rule i never gave out money or smokes to beggars. After reading that I REALLY don't give money to strangers.
SW1911SC, SW642, M&P Shield 9mm, Caracal F, SuperNova Tactical, M&P22, SKS, AR15, Tavor, Winchester .22lr.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Cosmo 9

Post by Cosmo 9 »

14 hrs on the road will make just about anyone loose focus.
These Pretzels are making me thirsty!

Topic author
GreenGuy

Post by GreenGuy »

isa268 wrote:http://themartialist.com/0104/beggarploys.htm

http://themartialist.com/0104/affirm.htm

http://themartialist.com/0703/offramp.htm

as a rule i never gave out money or smokes to beggars. After reading that I REALLY don't give money to strangers.
Wow, great links, still trying to read all the information there..

I do like the idea of thinking I paid $20 for a lesson, and this will keep me from doing it again, and quite possibly save my life from a not so nice begger. Money well spent..

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

I know this isn't something men think about, but as a woman, I always ask myself, "Why is this man asking a lone woman for assistance/money?"

If you think about it, its (at best) inappropriate. I always tell other women that. A man you don't know has no business talking to you when you're by yourself.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

HOSSISFREE

Post by HOSSISFREE »

Finally read the posted links. Interesting, but nothing new to me. I see this sort of thing all the time. I have had friends tell me "That was rude!" about the way I handle beggars. I try to explain to them the possibilities, but they have a hard time "listening" to what they are hearing.

On another note, I love the screen name Venus Pax! Outstanding! Saw that and had to laugh until I realized how fitting that is.

Hoss
..." it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness." ~ Declaration of Independence!

Return to “Never Again!!”