CHL holder killed by police in Las Vegas at a Costco

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 32

Re: CHL holder killed by police in Las Vegas at a Costco

Post by Beiruty »

this will never go to trial. It will be settled with multi-million dollars offered to shut up and go away.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

rthillusa
Posts in topic: 3

Post by rthillusa »

After reading "Erick's" own account of the events I think I can see how this tragedy might have happened.

After Erick is confronted with the fact he is carrying by the Costco employee, a chain of communications starts running, simultaneously to Erik's remaining movements through the store. By the time the message gets through the Costco 'chain of command' and to the dispatcher, the message is garbled beyond recognition - like we have all seen and experienced in the 'telephone' game we played in grade school. By the time the police arrive on the scene, they are probably thinking "Ft. Hood" or "Columbine".

When Erick is pointed out, and confronted, all they have time to see is that he has something shiny and black in his right hand. His right hand is moving up and his left hand is moving across his body to pull up his shirt, exposing his Kimber. The already freaked out officer makes a split second decision and guesses wrong. He did not have all the facts.

After that point, it sounds like "contagious fire" and then a clumsy and despicable effort to cover up the whole business by an arrogant, isolated and apparently out of control police department. The part about harassment and intimidation of Erik's fiancée and friends is even more outrageous.

Hopefully the voters will be able to insure that the LVMPD chief is replaced as soon as possible. I know several of Texas' largest metro areas have had issues in the past, at least within my living memory, and usually involving minorities - and one of my own ex-brother-in-laws was a rogue officer that (well, I shall not say any more about that). But handling 'man with gun' calls seems to be routine Saturday night fare these days for the Dallas area PDs and are usually handled with professionalism - and with everyone still alive the next morning.
Last edited by rthillusa on Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bullwhip
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Bullwhip »

It would just be a bad misunderstanding, except LVPD has a history of shooting innocent people. Can't just ignore that part.

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 119

Post by baldeagle »

Beiruty wrote:this will never go to trial. It will be settled with multi-million dollars offered to shut up and go away.
I disagree. I think the Scott family has no intentions of settling for any amount of money. In fact, if you read the story, Bill Scott is quoted saying that it isn't about the money, it's about holding LVMPD and Costco responsible for what they've done.

I doubt there is enough money in Vegas to make Bill Scott go away. Money works on most people but fails utterly with men of integrity.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 32

Post by Beiruty »

Do the civil rights suit have a punishment phase? Could someone go to jail? I guess, any corrective measures can be in the included in the settlement.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 59

Post by seamusTX »

There is such a thing as criminal civil-rights prosecution, but the charges have to be brought by a prosecutor. See the New Orleans Danziger Bridge shooting.

An ordinary person can only ask for money or some kind or court order that compels or restrains another party.

- Jim

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 119

Post by baldeagle »

Beiruty wrote:Do the civil rights suit have a punishment phase? Could someone go to jail? I guess, any corrective measures can be in the included in the settlement.
The normal punishment is monetary. I think the Scotts will be looking for mea culpas, public admissions of guilt, dramatic changes in the training programs and firings from LVMPD. From Costco, I suspect they will ask that Shai Lierley be fired but they will demand changes in the video surveillance systems as well.

Again, I think the Scotts could care less about the money. Any money they get will probably pay their lawyers fees and the balance will go to charities.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

WildBill
Posts in topic: 57

Post by WildBill »

baldeagle wrote:
Beiruty wrote:this will never go to trial. It will be settled with multi-million dollars offered to shut up and go away.
I disagree. I think the Scott family has no intentions of settling for any amount of money. In fact, if you read the story, Bill Scott is quoted saying that it isn't about the money, it's about holding LVMPD and Costco responsible for what they've done.

I doubt there is enough money in Vegas to make Bill Scott go away. Money works on most people but fails utterly with men of integrity.
I agree that Bill Scott will not settle for mere money, but that is probably all he will get. Arrogant men who hold powerful positions can hide behind the powerful shield of the government. The various government agencies and Costco may eventually lose the civil case, but the people in charge will probably will never be held accountable or admit to any culpability or wrongdoing.
NRA Endowment Member

HighHandicap
Posts in topic: 7

Post by HighHandicap »

Sadly, Sheriff Gillespie won re-election (65% vs 35%). Apparently the people of Clark County are perfectly happy with the high rate of officer involved shootings.

seniorshooteress
Posts in topic: 33

Post by seniorshooteress »

HighHandicap wrote:Sadly, Sheriff Gillespie won re-election (65% vs 35%). Apparently the people of Clark County are perfectly happy with the high rate of officer involved shootings.
unbelievable! There is something terribly wrong with the people who voted him back in.
CHL Rec: 2/5/10
Member: TSRA/NRA
Project One Million: Texas-Click here and Join NRA Today!

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it." - Clint Eastwood
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive!

austin-tatious
Posts in topic: 7

Post by austin-tatious »

seniorshooteress wrote:
HighHandicap wrote:Sadly, Sheriff Gillespie won re-election (65% vs 35%). Apparently the people of Clark County are perfectly happy with the high rate of officer involved shootings.
unbelievable! There is something terribly wrong with the people who voted him back in.
They voted Dirty Harry back in too. So, no surprise about voting the Sheriff back in.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 57

Post by WildBill »

Eric Scott's father is blogging that Eric's former girlfriend Samantha is being harrassed by LVMPD.

http://erikbscottmemorialblog.blogspot. ... t-101.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

Apparently just about anyone who has a magnetic Erik Scott ribbon on the back of their car is stopped by the police and ticketed for something.

If true, that would not seem appropriate.

seniorshooteress
Posts in topic: 33

Post by seniorshooteress »

philip964 wrote:Apparently just about anyone who has a magnetic Erik Scott ribbon on the back of their car is stopped by the police and ticketed for something.

If true, that would not seem appropriate.
seems that NOTHING the LVPD does is appropriate (or legal)
CHL Rec: 2/5/10
Member: TSRA/NRA
Project One Million: Texas-Click here and Join NRA Today!

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it." - Clint Eastwood
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive!

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

Apparently a Walmart customer has defined when a shopper should be shot by the police in Las Vegas or when it is appropriate for a store security office is to call the police.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010/no ... ind-appar/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting how the real bad guys react vs CHL holders react. A CHL holder sticks around to be shot while the true bad guy leaves.

Return to “Never Again!!”