olafpfj
Posts in topic: 2

Re: CHL holder killed by police in Las Vegas at a Costco

Post by olafpfj »

sjfcontrol wrote:
This fight was captured on video... :mrgreen:

[youtube][/youtube]
"rlol" :lol:: "rlol" "rlol" "rlol"

I need to send this to my CHP buddy. This is totally his type of humor!!!
"If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law." -Winston Churchill

WildBill
Posts in topic: 57

Post by WildBill »

I got this email from William B. Scott, Erik's father:

Very disappointing, but we had to drop the lawsuit against Las Vegas Metro. The attached news release has the basic details. In short, it looked like we'd never win on appeal, because the Ninth Circuit Court almost always finds in favor of cops -- even when excessive-use-of-force HAS been established.

However, in some ways, this is liberating. We're now free to launch several initiatives that, in the long run, will have more impact.

Bill
NRA Endowment Member

speedsix
Posts in topic: 3

Post by speedsix »

...sometimes, there is no justice...it's an imperfect system...I believe this case is one of those times...sad...

puma guy
Posts in topic: 37

Post by puma guy »

Anyone know if any action (civil or otherwise) was taken against the guy who broke into Erik Scott's apartment and seized his property? I think he was a "Public Administrator" whatever that is. Was he included in the civil suit that has been dropped?
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

WildBill
Posts in topic: 57

Post by WildBill »

puma guy wrote:Anyone know if any action (civil or otherwise) was taken against the guy who broke into Erik Scott's apartment and seized his property? I think he was a "Public Administrator" whatever that is. Was he included in the civil suit that has been dropped?
Maybe that was one of the initiatives that Bill Scott was referring to in his email. Since the "public administator" was not a peace officer, maybe "qualified immunity" doesn't apply.
NRA Endowment Member

puma guy
Posts in topic: 37

Post by puma guy »

WildBill wrote:
puma guy wrote:Anyone know if any action (civil or otherwise) was taken against the guy who broke into Erik Scott's apartment and seized his property? I think he was a "Public Administrator" whatever that is. Was he included in the civil suit that has been dropped?
Maybe that was one of the initiatives that Bill Scott was referring to in his email. Since the "public administator" was not a peace officer, maybe "qualified immunity" doesn't apply.
My thoughts exactly on the PA issue.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

wgoforth
Posts in topic: 7

Post by wgoforth »

The family of Erik Scott has now filed a Wrongful Death lawsuit as of June 8th, 2012
http://www.mynews4.com/news/story/Famil ... qeD8w.cspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tacticool
Posts in topic: 5

Post by tacticool »

I can see the logic behind suing the cops who shot him. I can even see the logic behind suing the employee, if they lied about the facts during the 911 call. I don't see any reason (except greed) to sue the company unless they have a policy encouraging employees to lie to 911.
When in doubt
Vote them out!

wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

tacticool wrote:I can see the logic behind suing the cops who shot him. I can even see the logic behind suing the employee, if they lied about the facts during the 911 call. I don't see any reason (except greed) to sue the company unless they have a policy encouraging employees to lie to 911.
They do have a no-gun policy (which the employee informed Scott Esk about) without any signage or anything on the application. Had he known that, perhaps Scott would have made a different decision.
NRA Life Member
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jumping Frog »

tacticool wrote:I can see the logic behind suing the cops who shot him. I can even see the logic behind suing the employee, if they lied about the facts during the 911 call. I don't see any reason (except greed) to sue the company unless they have a policy encouraging employees to lie to 911.
First, there was some suspicion about the company "mysteriously" losing the CCTV video of the incident. But more important, the company is responsible for the actions of their employees when they are on the clock.

We have trucks and employee drivers. You don't think our company would be sued if one of our drivers killed someone on the highway?
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 59

Post by philip964 »

Companies are responsible for the actions of their employees.

I went to the Costco a few years ago when I was in Las Vegas. There are still no signs, saying guns are not allowed. I am a former member of Costco, I did not know of the no gun policy until this happened. Erik had just joined Costco a few moments before, I'm sure the attendant did not say "oh please read this fine print contract carefully. It says you can't bring a gun into the store."

Erik was never asked to leave the store. Instead of asking him to leave, they called 911 and essentially said a madman was inside their store with a gun, Help Help. Then they pointed him out to the police as he was peacefully exiting the store with his girlfriend, so he could be killed.

In case you have forgotten five of the seven bullets were in his back after he was lying on the ground. Someone here called it contagious fire.

The video wasn't working that day, but it was never sent to the FBI, so we really don't know.

Former West Point graduate. Former Army Captain. Top salesman for Medtronics. Nevada CHL holder. Caucasian, handsome, athletic, the exact opposite of the police officer who fired the first bullet. Erik was portrayed as a wife beater and prescription pill addict during the one sided inquest.

"Drop your gun," "freeze", "get on your knees" the police called out with guns drawn and pointed at him. The first bullet fired into his chest killed him almost instantly.

CSI has never interested me much since this happened.

The Las Vegas police have harassed his girlfriend and other supporters since the killing.

One of the police officers has since been arrested on an unrelated matter, the two others have received a national police award.

I thought we could not link to lvrj, or did they loose that one in the courts pretty bad?

Nothing good about this but the lesson to us all.

Concealed is concealed. Any issue, immediately leave. Confronted by police, flat palm hands go slowly in the air, despite what they may be shouting.

wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

philip964 wrote:

I went to the Costco a few years ago when I was in Las Vegas. There are still no signs, saying guns are not allowed. I am a former member of Costco, I did not know of the no gun policy until this happened. Erik had just joined Costco a few moments before, I'm sure the attendant did not say "oh please read this fine print contract carefully. It says you can't bring a gun into the store."

Erik was never asked to leave the store. Instead of asking him to leave, they called 911 and essentially said a madman was inside their store with a gun, Help Help. Then they pointed him out to the police as he was peacefully exiting the store with his girlfriend, so he could be killed.

In case you have forgotten five of the seven bullets were in his back after he was lying on the ground. Someone here called it contagious fire.

The video wasn't working that day, but it was never sent to the FBI, so we really don't know.

Former West Point graduate. Former Army Captain. Top salesman for Medtronics. Nevada CHL holder. Caucasian, handsome, athletic, the exact opposite of the police officer who fired the first bullet. Erik was portrayed as a wife beater and prescription pill addict during the one sided inquest.

"Drop your gun," "freeze", "get on your knees" the police called out with guns drawn and pointed at him. The first bullet fired into his chest killed him almost instantly.

The Las Vegas police have harassed his girlfriend and other supporters since the killing.

One of the police officers has since been arrested on an unrelated matter, the two others have received a national police award.

I thought we could not link to lvrj
, or did they loose that one in the courts pretty bad?
Don't know anything about that...should I remove it?
NRA Life Member

Bullwhip
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Bullwhip »

philip964 wrote:The video wasn't working that day, but it was never sent to the FBI, so we really don't know.
Secret Service (why? nobody knows) and Seagate recovered a lot of data from that drive. Nobody knows what, at least nobody thats talking. Don't' know where the drive is, either.

I thought we could not link to lvrj, or did they loose that one in the courts pretty bad?
The right haven thing lost so bad the judge gave the website and name to the people who sued back.

Best record of what happened in this case is here. Long read, lots of links, lots of documents.

http://statelymcdanielmanor.wordpress.c ... cott-case/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Keith B
Posts in topic: 26

Post by Keith B »

wgoforth wrote:
philip964 wrote:
I thought we could not link to lvrj
, or did they loose that one in the courts pretty bad?
Don't know anything about that...should I remove it?
Yes, no links to Las Vegas papers or stations. I chganged it to another source.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Heartland Patriot

Post by Heartland Patriot »

philip964 wrote:

Nothing good about this but the lesson to us all.

Concealed is concealed. Any issue, immediately leave. Confronted by police, flat palm hands go slowly in the air, despite what they may be shouting.
The fact that they never bothered to ask him to leave nor informed him of store policy about firearms before calling law enforcement on him would seem to be grounds for a lawsuit to me. I will definitely not get any Costco membership now. I wouldn't want to give a company like that any of my money.

Return to “Never Again!!”