CHL holder killed by police in Las Vegas at a Costco

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

WildBill
Posts in topic: 57

Re: CHL holder killed by police in Las Vegas at a Costco

Post by WildBill »

Heartland Patriot wrote:The fact that they never bothered to ask him to leave nor informed him of store policy about firearms before calling law enforcement on him would seem to be grounds for a lawsuit to me. I will definitely not get any Costco membership now. I wouldn't want to give a company like that any of my money.
See the first post of the thread. I believe that an employee did tell him about the policy and asked him to leave. Apparently they didn't give him much time to leave before calling 911.
NRA Endowment Member

Bullwhip
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Bullwhip »

Keith B wrote:
wgoforth wrote:
philip964 wrote:
I thought we could not link to lvrj
, or did they loose that one in the courts pretty bad?
Don't know anything about that...should I remove it?
Yes, no links to Las Vegas papers or stations. I chganged it to another source.
Look again, that was settled a long time ago. Right haven lost big time, din't even have any permission to claim copyright.

Bullwhip

Post by Bullwhip »

WildBill wrote:
Heartland Patriot wrote:The fact that they never bothered to ask him to leave nor informed him of store policy about firearms before calling law enforcement on him would seem to be grounds for a lawsuit to me. I will definitely not get any Costco membership now. I wouldn't want to give a company like that any of my money.
See the first post of the thread. I believe that an employee did tell him about the policy and asked him to leave. Apparently they didn't give him much time to leave before calling 911.
Look again, here

http://statelymcdanielmanor.wordpress.c ... cott-case/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Everthing in the whole case documented.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 26

Post by Keith B »

Bullwhip wrote:
Keith B wrote:
wgoforth wrote:
philip964 wrote:
I thought we could not link to lvrj
, or did they loose that one in the courts pretty bad?
Don't know anything about that...should I remove it?
Yes, no links to Las Vegas papers or stations. I chganged it to another source.
Look again, that was settled a long time ago. Right haven lost big time, din't even have any permission to claim copyright.
We still don't want them on the forum.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 59

Post by philip964 »

WildBill wrote:
My understanding was these security employee said guns were not allowed in the store. Erik may have gotten all second amendment on him. The security person did not say " you must leave the store" it's kinda of like the 911 operator, did not say " do not follow Trayvon". But instead said "we don't need for you to follow him". There is a difference. But when your going to call the police to have some one arrested, you need to at least ask the person to leave.

Staying guns are not allowed in a store when there is no sign, sounds a lot like a security person over stepping his authority, this may have been how Erik felt. Who knows now as he is dead and the video evidence and other physical evidence was not collected or is missing.

wgoforth
Posts in topic: 7

Post by wgoforth »

philip964 wrote:
WildBill wrote:
My understanding was these security employee said guns were not allowed in the store. Erik may have gotten all second amendment on him. The security person did not say " you must leave the store" it's kinda of like the 911 operator, did not say " do not follow Trayvon". But instead said "we don't need for you to follow him". There is a difference. But when your going to call the police to have some one arrested, you need to at least ask the person to leave.

Staying guns are not allowed in a store when there is no sign, sounds a lot like a security person over stepping his authority, this may have been how Erik felt. Who knows now as he is dead and the video evidence and other physical evidence was not collected or is missing.
Was it actually a security personal? I was under the impression that it was a stocker. If it was a stocker, I wouldn't heed the verbal notice of anyone I do not perceive to be in authority or acting with authority. Security personal I would.
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

wgoforth wrote:
philip964 wrote:
WildBill wrote:

Was it actually a security personal? I was under the impression that it was a stocker. If it was a stocker, I wouldn't heed the verbal notice of anyone I do not perceive to be in authority or acting with authority. Security personal I would.
A lot of time has passed, but the security person may have been just normally dressed and may have not identified himself as "loss prevention" which is what I think the guy actually was. Erik was reported to him by "an employee or customer" who may have seen him tearing up merchandise. (taking bottles out of cartons to see how many would fit in a back pack) No video or merchandise from this initial incident was collected or recovered. Funny how that never happens that way on CSI.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

Today is Erik Scot's birthday.

TexasGal

Post by TexasGal »

His death has served to teach some valuable lessons to many.
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/ ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another person named Scott has been shot and killed by police at another Costco.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

philip964 wrote:http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/ ... story.html

Another person named Scott has been shot and killed by police at another Costco.
Yep. Been running here since last week viewtopic.php?f=83&t=66598" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

Yeah but did you know her name was Scott.

Can't find the article, but one commentator blamed police policy. If two officers are present. The other must draw his gun, per this commentator. Then if the Taser for some reason fails to work. Police policy prevents the other officer from holstering. Police have hands occupied with taser and a gun, have no choice but shooting.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

philip964 wrote:Yeah but did you know her name was Scott.
Uh, yeah, it's in the orginal article. :headscratch I will bet there are 1000's of people named Scott that go to Costco every week. Just one of those strange coincidneces.
Keith

puma guy
Posts in topic: 37

Post by puma guy »

Every time I look at this topic I'm reminded how easily this could happen to any one with a CHL. I do not mean to start this whole discussion again, but when you think about it here was a guy who broke no laws, just raised the ire an employee of Costco who make's a 911, being accosted by multiple PO with weapons drawn trying to obey their commands and winds up shot to pieces. Of course after the fact he was allegedly carrying a weapon not listed on his license, but that would have been unknown to any responders. It ways heavily on my mind how easily something like this happens.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

The man in Fort Worth who was in his garage and was shot by the police or the former Marine who was shot by police in his home in Arizona, still shows how dangerous it can be when you have a weapon and are surprised by the police.

Erik Scot's problem began when he accidentally exposed his weapon, had he not done that he would probably be alive today.

Return to “Never Again!!”