So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
macavity
Posts in topic: 4

Attemped Burglary

Post by macavity »

-removed by user-
Last edited by macavity on Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Attemped Burglary

Post by Keith B »

While your gesture in loaning her a gun was good, I will never loan a gun to a person who is not familiar with the type of gun until they have actually shot that gun with me at a range and proved they are proficient enough with it to be safe. IMO you could actually be doing them a disfavor when they are placed in a stressful situation and have to try and use it if they actually can't handle the firearm properly.

I would suggest getting her to a range and make sure she knows how to handle it safely and what to expect when is fires and she experiences the blast, recoil, etc. and can recover after the first shot and be able to proceed in subsequent shots if needed.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Post by C-dub »

I would definitely require range time first. I don't know if I would let anyone borrow one of mine. I would let them shoot mine to help make up their mind if they really wanted one or not and let them get their own.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

i agree with the above posts, and my reasoning is like I did with my mom.
I took her to the range with a Taurus PT111, which i intended to give her for home protection, after some range and safety time,
however, when she couldnt hit, literally a 10" target at 3 yards, i decided it was not a good idea and would require much more range time.
Simply, she was yanking down, waiting for the kick, and hitting 15" or so, low-left of bullseye...
I thought, simple, semi-auto, full magazine, for home protection, piece of cake, but when she proved to be 'wild', nope..
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

Topic author
macavity

Post by macavity »

-removed by user-
Last edited by macavity on Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
macavity

Post by macavity »

-removed by user-
Last edited by macavity on Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Didn't mean for the response to sound overly critical, just a word of advice to make sure she was able to handle the firearm in a stress situation. However, sounds like in this case she was more than OK.

I am surprised that if she has that kind of experience with using a pistol she didn't indicate it when you were showing her how to use it. Then again, maybe she just wanted to play the coy female and see if YOU knew what you were doing. ;-) :lol:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

ex_dsmr

Post by ex_dsmr »

Did she say WHY she feels the gun would be taken and used on her? It may be that she does not feel she could pull the trigger, or she could have bought into the media hype that spews this kind of information.

If its the former, thats a hurdle that must be overcome; because if she does lock up or her moral convictions get the better of her you bet she will be forcibly disarmed. She doesnt need to take on a jaded bloodthirsty approach, but she ceratinly needs to have the mindset that "If my life is threatened I will not hesitate" Women especially are brought up to never harm anyone, or that there will always be a man around to protect her.

Good on you for taking her under your wing :thumbs2:

Topic author
macavity

Post by macavity »

-removed by user-
Last edited by macavity on Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

Teamless wrote:i agree with the above posts, and my reasoning is like I did with my mom.
I took her to the range with a Taurus PT111, which i intended to give her for home protection, after some range and safety time,
however, when she couldnt hit, literally a 10" target at 3 yards, i decided it was not a good idea and would require much more range time.
Simply, she was yanking down, waiting for the kick, and hitting 15" or so, low-left of bullseye...
I thought, simple, semi-auto, full magazine, for home protection, piece of cake, but when she proved to be 'wild', nope..
Go back, and use a .22.
And if she never graduates to something bigger, then let her stay with a .22. It's a whole lots better than nothing.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Vecco

Post by Vecco »

Keith B wrote:While your gesture in loaning her a gun was good, I will never loan a gun to a person who is not familiar with the type of gun until they have actually shot that gun with me at a range and proved they are proficient enough with it to be safe. IMO you could actually be doing them a disfavor when they are placed in a stressful situation and have to try and use it if they actually can't handle the firearm properly.
+10 I agree

I would never loan anyone ( maybe a family member) a gun ever.. I would always help them buy the gun they needed and help them with safety and aim.

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Excaliber »

Vecco wrote:
Keith B wrote:While your gesture in loaning her a gun was good, I will never loan a gun to a person who is not familiar with the type of gun until they have actually shot that gun with me at a range and proved they are proficient enough with it to be safe. IMO you could actually be doing them a disfavor when they are placed in a stressful situation and have to try and use it if they actually can't handle the firearm properly.
+10 I agree

I would never loan anyone ( maybe a family member) a gun ever.. I would always help them buy the gun they needed and help them with safety and aim.
Someone who is serious about self protection will buy a gun for themselves - they're not that expensive.

I would worry about the plans of folks who would like to have one around without making that small investment.

It's worthwhile to keep in mind that just a few months ago the former mayor of Coppell used a gun borrowed from a friend to kill her 19 year old daughter and herself.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

I would suggest getting her to a range and make sure she knows how to handle it safely and what to expect when is fires and she experiences the blast, recoil, etc. and can recover after the first shot and be able to proceed in subsequent shots if needed.
A quite good philosophy on your part Keith.

:cool:
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Excaliber wrote:
Vecco wrote:I would never loan anyone ( maybe a family member) a gun ever.. I would always help them buy the gun they needed and help them with safety and aim.
Someone who is serious about self protection will buy a gun for themselves - they're not that expensive.

I would worry about the plans of folks who would like to have one around without making that small investment.

It's worthwhile to keep in mind that just a few months ago the former mayor of Coppell used a gun borrowed from a friend to kill her 19 year old daughter and herself.
I have a neighbor across the street who knows I have guns, and he and his son have been to the range with me and my son once. He keeps saying he would like to buy a gun some day, but his wife's eyes get big as saucers whenever he says it. Then he just says, "if there's ever any trouble, I'll be coming over to your house." I tell him, "what do you expect me to do? I'm not going to shoot your bad guys unless they're inside my house threatening me." He's a perfect example of someone who acknowledges that it would be a good idea to have a gun around, and would like to someday own one, but doesn't care enough about it to actually go get one. I'm even pretty sure that his wife would some day get over it. She's not anti-gun politicially. She's just one of those people who is afraid of them. The weird part is that he assumes that because I'm armed to the teeth, his family's protection is somehow assured under my umbrella... ....and so does his wife.

He's a really nice guy, and I really like him and his wife; but I have no obligation to place my life or my family's lives in danger to protect him and his family.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Excaliber wrote:
Vecco wrote:I would never loan anyone ( maybe a family member) a gun ever.. I would always help them buy the gun they needed and help them with safety and aim.

I have a neighbor across the street who knows I have guns, and he and his son have been to the range with me and my son once. He keeps saying he would like to buy a gun some day, but his wife's eyes get big as saucers whenever he says it. Then he just says, "if there's ever any trouble, I'll be coming over to your house." I tell him, "what do you expect me to do? I'm not going to shoot your bad guys unless they're inside my house threatening me." He's a perfect example of someone who acknowledges that it would be a good idea to have a gun around, and would like to someday own one, but doesn't care enough about it to actually go get one. I'm even pretty sure that his wife would some day get over it. She's not anti-gun politicially. She's just one of those people who is afraid of them. The weird part is that he assumes that because I'm armed to the teeth, his family's protection is somehow assured under my umbrella... ....and so does his wife.

He's a really nice guy, and I really like him and his wife; but I have no obligation to place my life or my family's lives in danger to protect him and his family.
I have a philosophy in a home break-in situation that I take care of numero uno (my home and family). I call others that live next to me that are not prepared to take on a bad guy if they force entry as 'bait' houses. ;-)
Keith

Return to “Never Again!!”