day 2 incident

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
spolct
Posts in topic: 4

day 2 incident

Post by spolct »

day 2 of concealed carry included a trip to a local indoor range. i normally keep a hat in my range bag but somehow it had been removed. a hot brass found its way between the top of my (safety) glasses and lodged itself at the bottom of the lens and the corner of my eye. my first reaction was to schrunch? up in pain. my second reaction was to think holy cow i have a gun in my hand and it's pointed sideways behind the lane partition. second reaction also included pointing the thing downrange and setting it down. third reaction was to take my glasses off and remove hot brass. fortunately i'm fairly certain that there wasn't anybody hanging out past the partitions, and also fortunate that there was no AN?D. i now have a tear shaped burn mark on the lower outside corner of my left eye. i guess maybe it will give me some street cred when i find myself on the 'other side' of the tracks, which is a daily occurrence in my line of work.

the times i had worn a hat, i had worn it backwards to prevent said hot brass from going down my back. i'll take a burn there versus a burn to the eye, so henceforth the hat will be in the forward facing position. lesson learned.

AIKYNALATEIYWTWUJPWLA
ayup - i know you're not a lawyer and that even if you were that what you just posted wasn't legal advice.

IMHO YMMV XYZPDQ

mikeintexas
Posts in topic: 1

Re: day 2 incident

Post by mikeintexas »

My wife learned the same painful lesson in the way. She didn't ever like to wear a ballcap. She decided, like you did, the cap wasn't so bad after all.

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

my wife learned the hot brass issue with a v-neck shirt.

But at the same time, we learned that if we shoot outside, casings don't bounce off of the partitions back at us, so havent had any issues since
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

johnson0317

Post by johnson0317 »

In spite of the momentary lapse of protocol, it sounds like you handled it pretty well. I have had one land on my shirt collar and stick to the skin. It is kind of strange how you can calmly set the gun down before reaching up to dislodge it. I think you must start pumping some endorphines while shooting.

RJ
CHL Received 5/16/11
Proud Member NRA
Proud Member Texas Concealed Handgun Association
Proud Member Second Amendment Foundation
Proud Member of The Truth Squad founded by Tom Gresham. "A lie left unchallenged becomes the truth"

Divided Attention

Post by Divided Attention »

Been there Done That! Have the scars to prove it! Nothing like a second degree burn near your eyes (better than in) and down the shirt! Explain that scar at your physical! Fortunately my MD believes me when I tell her my sport and the burn marks are from hot brass and that the scars on my arms, chest and abdomen are from rabbit toe nails I am NOT a cutter or mutilator!

The hat lesson was hard for me too! I even wear one inside now AND think I will be moving to a full brimmed hat for my group classes inside OR out.
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Divided Attention wrote:Been there Done That! Have the scars to prove it! Nothing like a second degree burn near your eyes (better than in) and down the shirt! Explain that scar at your physical! Fortunately my MD believes me when I tell her my sport and the burn marks are from hot brass and that the scars on my arms, chest and abdomen are from rabbit toe nails I am NOT a cutter or mutilator!

The hat lesson was hard for me too! I even wear one inside now AND think I will be moving to a full brimmed hat for my group classes inside OR out.
That's what I did, years ago, and everyone in town knows me now :shock:
They also see me when I'm on my kayak and the boats don't run me over
Hunter/Safety orange is great ;-)
Only problem is, my niece complains all her friends want one (she borrowed one of mine 2 years ago, I won't see it again ... I bought more)
I keep a spare in the car, in case someone volunteers to get out and change a tire in the dark on the side of a highway.
http://www.google.com/search?q=lpwear&i ... 24&bih=636" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
or
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Never forget to zip the bottom of the bag closed on your AR's brass-catcher....
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

mikeintexas wrote:My wife learned the same painful lesson in the way. She didn't ever like to wear a ballcap. She decided, like you did, the cap wasn't so bad after all.
My Cabelas' cap is now a permanent fixture in my range bag, for the same reason. It's the only time I wear one.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

2k6_tx_Dad

Post by 2k6_tx_Dad »

Hasn't happened to me once....

With my relvolver... :leaving
Dec 27 - Applied online
Dec 30 - Fingerprints
Jan 7 - CHL class
Jan 9 - Mailed
Jan 11 - Delivered
Jan 18 - Status changed to Background Check : Under review.
Feb 2 - Manufacturing Pending
Feb 3 - Manufacturing
Feb 10 - Mailed
Feb 15 - Received !!

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

It happens. This one sponsored by the caliber "5.56".....

The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

Dave2
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Dave2 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Never forget to zip the bottom of the bag closed on your AR's brass-catcher....
steveincowtown wrote:It happens. This one sponsored by the caliber "5.56".....
Gaaaeeeeash! I've never been burned by anything that bad, and I've failed to use oven mitts a few times.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

frreed

Post by frreed »

Oh yeah! Nothing like getting a full three round burst worth of brass down the collar of your flak. ( Honestly honey it's not what you think.) The "best" part is you just kept shooting.

apostate

Post by apostate »

Dave2 wrote:Gaaaeeeeash! I've never been burned by anything that bad, and I've failed to use oven mitts a few times.
More than ten years later, I still have the burn scar from hot brass during a Jim Crews carbine class.

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

ouch
can i laugh now :biggrinjester: not at you, just the hot brass trick

hot brass will get your attention quick, 45acp jumped right down the neck of my sweatshirt, did a 360 and singed me pretty good
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

froughty

Post by froughty »

I took a casing directly to the forehead a few weeks ago when shooting a 1911, it stung so much I swore it broke the skin.

Return to “Never Again!!”