Home invasion in Bryan

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
gregthehand
Posts in topic: 1

Home invasion in Bryan

Post by gregthehand »

This happened to one of my best friend's brothers last Monday at his apartment in Bryan. The apartment is in a nice gated community of college students. All the people that live in the apartment are college students, and all under 21. On Monday Feb 12th two black males knocked on the door of the apartment. Without looking one of the residence (I'm not sure whom) opened the door without looking through the peep-hole. He was immediatley pushed back at gun point by both black males. All the residence were caught off-guard with no weapon near by. They were all instructed to turn over their cell phones by one male while the other kept asking where they keep their drugs. My friend's brother noted that both men's behavior seemed erratic and their speech was not clear, and often they spoke incoherently. After they turned over their cell phones (yes I know STUPID) they were pushed into a bathroom shower, and told if they cooperated that they would not be harmed. At this point one of the males grabbed some furniture and stacked it in the bathroom in front of the shower, and then placed a mattress in front of that. They then went through the house and started, apparently, looking for drugs. They came back once and asked for cigarettes (nobody in the house smokes), and came back again and asked who drove. My friend thanks that they were staking out his brothers house because after they were not able to get cigs from them they went outside and came back in a few minutes later smoking. After they had one of his roomates car keys, the men said that they were leaving, and to not come out for a while. They were upset that they did not find drugs, and asked for money. Again all college students, so nobody had cash. After 20 minutes of waiting they decided that the men were gone and started to push there way out. When they did one of the males came back in waving his revolver around. One of the roomates who had made it out grabbed the revolver which came apart into three pieces in his hand as he grabbed it. One of the other roomates then started hitting the man with the broken (I'm thinking a toy) revolver. As this was happening my friends brother was trying to climb up and over all the stuff in front of the shower since they way the other two were able to get out of was blocked by the struggle. At that point the other male came into the bathroom opening and fired one shot at my friend's brother, and missed. I think he fired at him because his accomplice was in the way of shooting at the other two. At this point both males ran out of the house and stole one of the roomates cars. They made off with the car and my friends brother's shotgun. They did not steal anythink else even though there were laptops, a PS2, and other items sitting around. All three males ran outside but could not see the men driving off since they had driven around a corner in the complex. Bryan PD was called, and so far has not been much of a help according to my friend's brother. I'm not going to say anything more on that since I'm not sure of the particulars of the case. Something tells me they are working on it.

Here is what I take from this. My friends always give me hell because I always have a firearm within reach at my house. Even in the shower. This is exactly why. These guys were high, and incoherent there is no telling where they thought they were. I never EVER answer the door without knowing who it is. I hardly ever even stand behind the door to see who it is. I often use a window that I can see the door from. If the person does not look threatening I ask what they want from the window. I have starteled a few people doing this but oh well. If they look like a salesman, or just up to no good I just ignore their knocking. I've never had one keep knocking after once or twice. If I answer the door to someone I don't know (even UPS, or a postal worker) I open the door with my left hand, and keep my .45 in my right behind my back. Anyway I just thought this was a good story to think about when your around your house. This doesn't always happen in bad/ghetto areas. This is a nice apartment complex of mostly students that is fully gated, and fenced.
My posts on this website are worth every cent you paid me for them.

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

I make it a point to be wearing or carrying a gun when I answer the door. This upsets my sister in law when she comes to visit, and the pizza guy sometimes gets a little wide eyed (when and if he notices) but I happen to think that the chance of a push in home invasion is too high to not be prepared.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

Paragraphs friend.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

casselthief
Banned

Post by casselthief »

jimlongley wrote:the chance of a push in home invasion is too high to not be prepared.
you're telling me! I still think about that night, well, with aborting regularity, but reading that brought back some memories.

sorry to hear about that, it's a terrible situation, all the way around.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Betcha they don't give you "hell" about guns anymore...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

glocklvr
Posts in topic: 4

Post by glocklvr »

Maybe I should show this to my ex-girlfriend she dumped me for being too "paranoid" because I always keep my doors locked and always wear my gun even in the house and if I don't have it on me you can bet it is within arm's reach. Stuff like this is why I take such precautions and btw Jim I have had similar experiences with the pizza delivery guy.
It is easier to get an airport security clearance than a CHL

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

When I lived in College Station I always had my gun w/in reach.

Not out of paranoia, but out of practicality. My apt's were not as nice as the ones in bryan (I have some ideas as to which ones).

Glad everyone is ok, more or less.

Go get another shotgun, and some good deadbolts.

glocklvr

Post by glocklvr »

Go get another shotgun

I was thinking get 1 for each room

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Glad everybody made it thru in one piece. Could have been much worse. Much Much worse.

Hope they get the car back and the BG's off the street in short order.

When I open the door, after checking who it is, it's usually with a .45, Great Dane, a second dog, and Pepper spray and MAGLITE within reach.

With the dogs distracting them, people at the door don't even seem to consider the fact that I'm also armed.

I've also found that people in home invasion situations often don't consider arming themselves with improvised weapons. Kitchen knives and other household items are quite deadly.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Will938
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Will938 »

There is almost ALWAYS some sort of assault going on in the area. I got this in my inbox on Feb 21.

"Texas A&M University - College Station

Timely Warning - Campus Crime Alert

Timely warnings to the campus community comply with the federal Jeanne
Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics
Act (Clery Act).

Sexual Assault

The Texas A&M University Police Department was recently notified of a
sexual assault that had occurred during the first week of February. Due
to the current circumstances surrounding this case, more detailed
information to the Police Department was not provided. However, in
conformance with the Clery Act, the University Police Department wishes
to inform the university community of this offense.

A Texas A&M University student reported that on Monday, February 5,
2007, at approximately 02:00 a.m., she was sexually assaulted by an
acquaintance outside the Blocker Building on campus. The victim stated
that she was not hospitalized immediately after the sexual assault and
wishes to remain anonymous.

The suspect is described as a non-TAMU student, Caucasian male,
approximately twenty-one years of age, between five feet-eight inches
and six feet tall, short / light brown hair, brown eyes, medium build,
and has slight facial hair."

I live like 20 miles outside of College Station, near Carlos...if someone knocked on my door I'd be pretty worried. But yeah, many college kids see those who carry firearms as paranoid. My friend busts my chops about it, "Man, Will, whenever you have that thing on you its like you're paranoid about people around you." I told him I'm paranoid about breaking the law and I'm always watching those around me. He's a cool guy though, I asked him if my carrying bothered him. Nope he said, no big deal. I go shooting with him every once in a while.

Back to the topic, when I go over to someone's house I always carry at least a P3AT and a pocket knife. Or my P228 in a backpack (***REMEMBER TO REMOVE BEFORE CLASS*** :)) Answering the door I always stick my foot as far as I want it open, I'm sure everyone did this trick when they were a kid. If they bust in either that door is coming off the hinges or they're getting a face full of door.

It sucks going to campus because you usually will be going somewhere that prohibits carry. So all the way to class and back, or wherever, you're stuck with a pocket knife. So Cotton said the state was immune from suits...what do you think about sending a letter to the police department applying for an exemption to carry in university buildings and such. They'll deny it, and then if ever you get assaulted you could bring that up showing that you tried and they stopped you. Would the police be responsible then? Just looking for ways to light a fire under anti-carry bull.

glocklvr

Post by glocklvr »

With the increase in crime on school campuses especially colleges I would welcome any changes that would allow us to carry our guns because I think part of the reason the crime is so high in these areas is because criminals know that their "targets" are unarmed thus making their jobs safer.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

very right sir.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

People don't realize that home invasions don't always happen in the slums. The good stuff can be found in the nicer ends of town.

People, whether armed or not, would be wise to stop and think before opening a door just because they hear a knock.

SRVA: At the forum day, you had a quote that stated something along the lines of What reason do I have to be paranoid? I carry a gun everywhere I go. Who said that?
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

Will938
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Will938 »

Paranoia, in my opinion, is far far more prevelent from antis. I constantly hear the argument "Its just sad that you're so scared that you think you need a gun". lol well, I'd rather be ready then dilusional. I find it sad that they're so terrified to the point that they are paranoid of their fellow lawful citizens.

Mithras61

Post by Mithras61 »

You could always tell 'em "I'm not paranoid. I'm a Boy Scout. Our motto is 'Be Prepared'." :lol:

Return to “Never Again!!”