Boy I'm Glad

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

CHLLady
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Boy I'm Glad

Post by CHLLady »

Kythas wrote:
CHLLady wrote: I've never seen so many panhandlers as in Austin. Seems like it has exploded there.
Nope. Those are just hipsters and that's their job. They don't feel the need to be tied to a regular job, so they panhandle to get their money for the day, then move on with their day when they have what they need.
Not all, much to my shame. In Austin, we stopped at light at an intersection with a panhandler. His sign said, "Dog and me are hungry..." We had just finished our lunch on the go. I told hubby to give him my box, as I only ate a little out of it. I thought he would give the chicken strips to the dog. What he did humbled me beyond words. He said, "Thank you!" He ran back opened the box and gave one strip to his dog first, then ate the second one. He ate it as fast as his dog. The light changed and we moved on. We were all so moved by it. It was their first experience witnessing someone truly hungry. We came back by that weekend and he wasn't there.

I did see a lady with a small child in a stroller panhandling. It was so hot out, the toddler looked heat exhausted. She had a nasty black eye. When we got close, I could see it was makeup!

I pointed out this one panhandler that was wearing ironed blue jeans and had a really nice backpack. Sometimes it's hard to tell who is legit.
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

jmra
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jmra »

CHLLady wrote:
Kythas wrote:
CHLLady wrote: I've never seen so many panhandlers as in Austin. Seems like it has exploded there.
Nope. Those are just hipsters and that's their job. They don't feel the need to be tied to a regular job, so they panhandle to get their money for the day, then move on with their day when they have what they need.
Not all, much to my shame. In Austin, we stopped at light at an intersection with a panhandler. His sign said, "Dog and me are hungry..." We had just finished our lunch on the go. I told hubby to give him my box, as I only ate a little out of it. I thought he would give the chicken strips to the dog. What he did humbled me beyond words. He said, "Thank you!" He ran back opened the box and gave one strip to his dog first, then ate the second one. He ate it as fast as his dog. The light changed and we moved on. We were all so moved by it. It was their first experience witnessing someone truly hungry. We came back by that weekend and he wasn't there.

I did see a lady with a small child in a stroller panhandling. It was so hot out, the toddler looked heat exhausted. She had a nasty black eye. When we got close, I could see it was makeup!

I pointed out this one panhandler that was wearing ironed blue jeans and had a really nice backpack. Sometimes it's hard to tell who is legit.
My wife used to see one setup every morning on her way to work. He would park a fairly expensive car across the street and carry his walker and other items to his spot. He then transformed into a crippled war vet.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

CHLLady wrote:I pointed out this one panhandler that was wearing ironed blue jeans and had a really nice backpack. Sometimes it's hard to tell who is legit.
There is a group of friends here locally that go out and take bag meals to homeless every Saturday night. The bag has a sandwich, chips, a piece of fruit and a cookie or something. We make PB&J for the kids and ham or turkey w/lettuce and tomato for the adults...all served with canned cokes or bottled water with hot coffee on the side.

We try to provide other needs as well (sleeping bags, tents, etc.). Sometimes the clothes and shoes we get them are not your budget clothing. They are all donations. Occasionally, I will use my discount where I work to get someone some steel toe boots for a job or something.

Sometimes it is hard to tell the moochers from the truly needy, but I figured I have done my part. They will be accountable for their motivations, not me. Just calling someone by name who the rest of society disregards makes more of a difference than you will ever know.
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

Back in college one of the students in a psych class I was in did a paper on panhandlers and decided to get some real world experience. He was so successful that he kept it up though out college. It didn't pay for college but he made some decent pocket change.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

PaJ

Post by PaJ »

Glad it turned out OK.

Recently, my 17 year old son was approached while at a gas station. He was aware enough and smart enough to see the guy coming and to tell him to go away. But at 17, he obviously cannot legally carry. I'm also concerned about him going into convenience stores, etc. because of the reason that started this thread. It does help that he's 6'2" and 225# but he's still 17 and thinks he's invincible. I guess that's where we have to continually train our kids and trust God.

Many years ago I wish I were carrying. I was using an outside payphone and a guy approached me from behind and cornered me. He wasn't just in my space - he was pushing his body against mine. He opened his jacket to show me the pins that were in his arm due to a recent surgery to justify his need for a handout. But he was very suspicious about how he did it (imagine trying to show someone an insect in your hands without letting the insect get out), so I was certain they were fake. I also thought I was going to get shot when he started to open his jacket. When I didn't give him anything he shoved me then took off. I was very fortunate, and learned to be much more aware of my surroundings.

CHLLady
Posts in topic: 4

Post by CHLLady »

RogueUSMC wrote:
CHLLady wrote:I pointed out this one panhandler that was wearing ironed blue jeans and had a really nice backpack. Sometimes it's hard to tell who is legit.
There is a group of friends here locally that go out and take bag meals to homeless every Saturday night. The bag has a sandwich, chips, a piece of fruit and a cookie or something. We make PB&J for the kids and ham or turkey w/lettuce and tomato for the adults...all served with canned cokes or bottled water with hot coffee on the side.

We try to provide other needs as well (sleeping bags, tents, etc.). Sometimes the clothes and shoes we get them are not your budget clothing. They are all donations. Occasionally, I will use my discount where I work to get someone some steel toe boots for a job or something.

Sometimes it is hard to tell the moochers from the truly needy, but I figured I have done my part. They will be accountable for their motivations, not me. Just calling someone by name who the rest of society disregards makes more of a difference than you will ever know.
That is so wonderful of you and your friends! You are so right. What an amazing testimony. I bet it does make them hold their head higher. God bless you and your friends for your efforts. :tiphat:
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

PaJ wrote:Glad it turned out OK.

Recently, my 17 year old son was approached while at a gas station. He was aware enough and smart enough to see the guy coming and to tell him to go away. But at 17, he obviously cannot legally carry. I'm also concerned about him going into convenience stores, etc. because of the reason that started this thread. It does help that he's 6'2" and 225# but he's still 17 and thinks he's invincible. I guess that's where we have to continually train our kids and trust God.

Many years ago I wish I were carrying. I was using an outside payphone and a guy approached me from behind and cornered me. He wasn't just in my space - he was pushing his body against mine. He opened his jacket to show me the pins that were in his arm due to a recent surgery to justify his need for a handout. But he was very suspicious about how he did it (imagine trying to show someone an insect in your hands without letting the insect get out), so I was certain they were fake. I also thought I was going to get shot when he started to open his jacket. When I didn't give him anything he shoved me then took off. I was very fortunate, and learned to be much more aware of my surroundings.

I think the 6'2" and 225 lbs does make a big difference. My oldest worked as a security guard, unarmed, and while he had many confrontations, sometimes with groups, they always backed down. By contrast, his much smaller, though scrappier younger brother, had someone attempt to bully him on more than one occasion.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Return to “Never Again!!”