Learned my lesson about "one in the pipe" today

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

jbarn
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Learned my lesson about "one in the pipe" today

Post by jbarn »

I don't know how you guys carry XDs sized guns in your pants pockets? What size and style pant?
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

Austin83
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Austin83 »

I carried an XD for awhile simply because I wanted a blackstrap safety with one in the chamber. I got used to carrying and upgraded to a Glock with no fears of having one in the pipe.

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Excaliber »

jbarn wrote:I don't know how you guys carry XDs sized guns in your pants pockets? What size and style pant?
It works with a good pocket holster in cargo shorts with wide and deep pockets and some tactical pants.

That use is one of the major reasons I bought one for.

It doesn't work with jeans, shallow pockets, or narrow pockets.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

VMI77
Posts in topic: 4

Post by VMI77 »

jbarn wrote:I don't know how you guys carry XDs sized guns in your pants pockets? What size and style pant?
Full size XD, no, but and XDS I can carry in a pocket holster in either jeans or loose fitting slacks as long as they don't have shallow pockets --the darker the slacks the better.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

This Lady did great and shame on her yellow backed male co-workers. :txflag: Some where in Heaven Bowie,Crockett, and Travis weep.
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

lithium398

Post by lithium398 »

Wow crazy, seems like you handled the situation well and just shows how fine motor skills go out to windows in fight and flight moments

TexasGal

Post by TexasGal »

You did just fine. :thumbs2:
There are breathing exercises that can help calm your nervous system from the effects of adrenaline. Just do a search on adrenaline and breathing techniques.
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

bilgerat57

Post by bilgerat57 »

IMHO, If you are comfortable with the P238, by all means keep it! I would suggest a spare magazine if you're in doubt about the number of rounds available. However if you go that route, be sure to do some intense training on re-load drill. I'm sure there could be a down side to carrying a spare mag, but I can't think of one at the moment. If stopping power is a concern, consult with a professional to evaluate your options. Just remember you're looking to protect yourself, not engage in a running firefight. Kudos to you for a good reaction and response! :woohoo
A Gun in the hands of a bad man is a dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good man is a danger only to the bad man - Charlton Heston
The only time a Texan has a pinky out is to see if the chamber is empty in the dark. - SFC M. Merino US Army

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

Ok, I read about the first half of the thread so any or all of this could be covered but here goes.

First, congratulations on coming out of a potentially bad situation unscathed. Now for the nitty gritty.

How is it you got started carrying on an empty chamber? Who advised you to do that? If no one, who mentored and advised you and failed to insure you knew how to carry a gun rather than an expensive paperweight? I'm glad you have now figured it out and are carrying an actual gun.

You asked about carrying more gun. Moving from a P238 to a P290RS gives you 0.2" more barrel length in the same 5.5" overall length. The width of the gun actually goes down 0.2" from the 1.1" of the 238 to the 0.9" of the 290. The height is the same at 3.9" for both. The capacity is 6 rounds, plus one, for both. The weight goes up about 8 ounces. So in an almost identical size package you move up to 9mm with the only loss actually being a weight gain of a few ounces.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

drjoker
Banned

Post by drjoker »

Your male coworkers ran away. Wow. Chivalry's dead.

Then they said you were causing a SCENE?! Wait, why don't we put your male coworkers in high heels, then we'll see how fast they can run!
SassedandLoaded wrote: the two guys I was with retreat (nice, huh). My male coworkers may think I'm a crazy lady for causing a scene, :eek6

Box
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Box »

I'm late to this conversion but here is a good video. Not mine, just thought I'll share.

[video][/video]
28 Sept 2013 Class completed, 29 Jan 2014 Plastic received.

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Excaliber »

Box wrote:I'm late to this conversion but here is a good video. Not mine, just thought I'll share.

[video][/video]
Good video with production issues.

It would have been much more effective if they had either started with the bad guy at the right side of the frame or had someone behind the camera following the action so that the full sequence of events would have been captured.

It still gets the point across, but with more effort on the viewer's part.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

tyree

Post by tyree »

Excaliber wrote:Good video with production issues.

It would have been much more effective if they had either started with the bad guy at the right side of the frame or had someone behind the camera following the action so that the full sequence of events would have been captured.

It still gets the point across, but with more effort on te viewer's part.
Agreed, I'd like to see the video redone with a better angle/distance. But to be fair, she's a YouTube blogger without much camera experience doing this in her garage. :^)

jmra

Post by jmra »

Box wrote:I'm late to this conversion but here is a good video. Not mine, just thought I'll share.

[video][/video]
Watched this several times (had seen it some time ago also). IMHO, she is dead either way. According the the rules she can't draw until she senses a threat. However, in the first attempt, she already has her hand on the gun preparing to draw well before the guy makes a move and still receives what would most likely be fatal injuries. I'd be willing to bet with the firearm concealed and following the rules she never clears leather. The second attempt proves my theory. She seems to be truly surprised by the timing of the attack and barely clears leather with an OWB holstered firearm.
I carry a Glock the way a Glock was designed to be carried, but if my situational awareness does not give me more space and reaction time than exist in the video I might as well not be carrying anything.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jumping Frog »

jmra wrote:... IMHO, she is dead either way. According the the rules she can't draw until she senses a threat.
I carry a Glock the way a Glock was designed to be carried, but if my situational awareness does not give me more space and reaction time than exist in the video I might as well not be carrying anything.
Tueller was an optimist. If I am not challenging at 40 feet and drawing at 30, then I am already well behind the curve.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Return to “Never Again!!”