Wife Being Sized Up for Robbery

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Keith B
Posts in topic: 11

Wife Being Sized Up for Robbery

Post by Keith B »

On Sunday we were on our way back home from vacation. We had stopped in Hope, AR to get fuel and grab a bite of lunch. While stopped at the gas station my wife took our little dog out to let her do her business in a grassy area behind the neighboring building about 100 feet away.

As they were walking in the field, I observed an older model gold Cadillac pull up to the pump island at the end of the row. I noticed the fuel cap was NOT on the side of the pump. The driver was a young black guy wearing a dew rag on his head and was sitting in the car with it running and watching my wife in the field. I am sure he was looking to see if she had her purse with her ( she didn't) and was targeting her to drive to the edge of the field, jump out and grab a purse and flee.

I quickly walked out in the drive area between his car and the field, the whole time keeping my eye on him and my hand in my right front pocket on my CCW. When he saw me and realized I was on to him he quickly put the car in drive and pulled away from the pump and out of the parking lot. I got his license number and called 911 to let them know what I had observed and that they may want to get a unit in the area to try and locate him. The dispatcher stated they were very familiar with the vehicle and the subject, and that I was more than likely correct on what he was doing. They thanked me and stated they would get a couple of units to patrol the parking lots to deter any snatch and grab robberies.

In this case I am sure that being situationally aware played a major factor averting a possible attack on my wife.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

mojo84
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Wife Being Sized Up for Robbery

Post by mojo84 »

Good job. Glad it didn't turn into an incident.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Keith B wrote:I quickly walked out ... the whole time keeping my eye on him and my hand in my right front pocket on my CCW.
Another case of a defensive gun use where the gun was never pulled, will never show up in statistics, and yet the predator was quite aware and chose to be elsewhere. :thumbs2:

And then there are the anti-gunners who scoff that CHL's are ever able to safely deter crime while armed. :roll:
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SewTexas »

:shock: WOW! that could have been scary....heck,that was scary to read.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

TexasGal

Post by TexasGal »

Glad you were there! With all the purse snatchers lately, I'm starting to think women need to leave their purses at home and keep money and ID in something like a belly band or pockets. My son's MIL stopped by her church to take something inside. She left her purse in her car hidden under the seat, but the window was broken and the purse gone when she came back about 20 minutes later. The police thought the perp was watching and surmised she left a purse in her car since she didn't have it with her.
Was you wife armed when this happened or noticed the guy?
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

Steamboat

Post by Steamboat »

Great job! It seems like you can never let your guard down.
"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." — Will Rogers

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Fantastic situational awareness, Keith B. Kudos for doing a great job without incident.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Selina Kyle

Post by Selina Kyle »

Jumping Frog wrote:
Keith B wrote:I quickly walked out ... the whole time keeping my eye on him and my hand in my right front pocket on my CCW.
Another case of a defensive gun use where the gun was never pulled, will never show up in statistics, and yet the predator was quite aware and chose to be elsewhere. :thumbs2:

And then there are the anti-gunners who scoff that CHL's are ever able to safely deter crime while armed. :roll:
:iagree: So nicely handled! Nobody was hurt, and everyone was safe. :tiphat:
"His fist is big, but my gun's bigger. He'll find out when I pull the trigger!"
Ruger LCP
NRA Member

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Good job Keith. :thumbs2: I read this story to Martha; since the lesson comes from you and not her husband, it won't violate Texas law if she pays attention.

Chas.

Topic author
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Good job Keith. :thumbs2: I read this story to Martha; since the lesson comes from you and not her husband, it won't violate Texas law if she pays attention.

Chas.
Glad to know it's not just my wife that does that; I was starting to get a complex!! :lol:

As a note, when she came back over I asked her what she noticed about the car and driver. She said only noticed him sitting in the car and it running, but not getting out. I told her she had been sized up for a potential robbery and her eyes got pretty big. Maybe this will be one more step to get her to get licensed. :thumbs2:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

Keith,

It is amazing what a stint in LE will do for your situational awareness. A few close call learning situations also help.
:evil2:
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

Good of you to catch that. I would not have thought of calling 911.

Topic author
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

mrvmax wrote:Good of you to catch that. I would not have thought of calling 911.
Many people will go 'Oh, maybe I was wrong and he was just sitting there thinking about getting gas, a soda, etc.' It never hurts to call and let them know what you believe you have seen or experienced. They can make the decision on whether to send someone out to check it out or not. In this case they had previous experience with the vehicle and owner and confirmed that she was more than likely being targeted for a robbery if the opportunity presented itself. It also let them get someone out and get some visible police presence in the area to possibly deter him from hitting someone else.
Keith

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Good job Keith.

This is not a criticism or critique. I wouldn't have thought to call 911 either because there was no emergency. I would've thought a call for what you described would have been a waste of time, but it sounds like they appreciated the call.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “Never Again!!”