Going unarmed

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RetNavy
Posts in topic: 3

Going unarmed

Post by RetNavy »

Wife and I had to go to a local bank yesterday, before leaving she asked if I was going to carry my weapon inside which I said Yes..... After the slight disagreement about carrying a gun in a bank... i left it home..... afterwards we decided to eat at a local Mexican restaurant, while waiting on our order, couple of young kids walked in and sat down and just ordered drinks..... not cleaned cut but not gansta looking either, just enough to raise SA... wife looked at me and asked if i had my gun on me and looked back and said "no you didnt want me to carry it to the bank"... i was sitting in such a way i could eat and and watch them too... also kept my cane a little closer....

after that I dont think she is going to ask if i'm going to leave unarmed again...

I know i could have left it in the car while in the bank but ya'all know what that entails.... then re-holstering.... bad decisions on both our parts but as it turn out nothing happen.... kids i think were actually try to skip out of paying for thier sodas, but the owner has that dont mess with me look also....
"Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward. Freedom will be defended!"
-President George W. Bush, September 11, 2001

Dragonfighter
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Going unarmed

Post by Dragonfighter »

RetNavy,

Years ago, before my wife carried, we were getting ready for a camping trip at Turner Falls. I had gotten out my service revolver, checked to see it was loaded and sat it on top of our gear. She went through this "we don't need THAT do we" stage and eventually flat out said she didn't want it with us. I surreptitiously slid it inside some gear.

That night, a group of bikers moved in and got pretty rowdy. Somewhere in all that mess a woman screamed. My wife's tremulous voice came out of the dark, "Sweetie? Do you...?" "Yes, go to sleep." Never heard another word about "not needing" a gun when we traveled.

So I feel ya and I think your wife just had the same realization mine did so many years ago.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 1

Post by baldeagle »

Unless the bank has a 30.06 sign, it's perfectly legal to carry in it. I carry in mine all the time.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Topic author
RetNavy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RetNavy »

baldeagle wrote:Unless the bank has a 30.06 sign, it's perfectly legal to carry in it. I carry in mine all the time.

this bank has only a"No Firearms" sign on/by the doors... have carried in this bank before.... think the reasoning behind her request was if anyone noticed the weapon inside they would think of robbery.... as mentioned have carried in there with no problems....
"Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward. Freedom will be defended!"
-President George W. Bush, September 11, 2001

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

My wife knows, don't even ask me to leave it at home.
i dont care if she doesnt see a need to have it with me (and yes, she is a CHL, just not a "nut" like me LOL),
I carry it
I dress around it
She told me the other day, "we are going to a halloween party", I asked what we were wearing, after her reply i said "where will i put my gun". She didn't like my question, but she knows, it goes where I go. because "carry 24/7 or guess right"! I have never won the lotto, so I cannot guess right
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

LSUTiger

Post by LSUTiger »

In all things guns and defensive/security/ self protection related I quit listening to my wife a long time ago. Unless she happens to agree with me. Daddy knows best.
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Dragonfighter wrote:RetNavy,

Years ago, before my wife carried, we were getting ready for a camping trip at Turner Falls. I had gotten out my service revolver, checked to see it was loaded and sat it on top of our gear. She went through this "we don't need THAT do we" stage and eventually flat out said she didn't want it with us. I surreptitiously slid it inside some gear.

That night, a group of bikers moved in and got pretty rowdy. Somewhere in all that mess a woman screamed. My wife's tremulous voice came out of the dark, "Sweetie? Do you...?" "Yes, go to sleep." Never heard another word about "not needing" a gun when we traveled.

So I feel ya and I think your wife just had the same realization mine did so many years ago.
I'm lucky in that my wife got her CHL about a year after I got mine, and she carries pretty much all the time.

That said, I have a mean streak in me. :evil2: Not saying I would actually do this, but I would be sorely tempted after going through that discussion to do like you did and bring the gun surreptitiously, but then lie later when asked if I brought it after the scream came from the other camp, and say "Of course I didn't bring it.....because you very adamantly didn't want me to, and I just wanted you to be happy. I sure hope that poor woman in the other camp is OK."
:evil2:

This is the kind of sick crap I think up after 26 years of marriage. "rlol"
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

tarkus

Post by tarkus »

RetNavy wrote:I know i could have left it in the car while in the bank but ya'all know what that entails.... then re-holstering.... bad decisions on both our parts but as it turn out nothing happen.... kids i think were actually try to skip out of paying for thier sodas
That's not something I would get involved in, whether or not I'm carrying.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it's on the internet, thank a geek.

ajwakeboarder

Post by ajwakeboarder »

Teamless wrote: I dress around it
She told me the other day, "we are going to a halloween party", I asked what we were wearing, after her reply i said "where will i put my gun". She didn't like my question, but she knows, it goes where I go. because "carry 24/7 or guess right"! I have never won the lotto, so I cannot guess right
I do the same thing. Last year I went as a 30s gangster with in a suit (Easy to conceal). This year i'm going as maverick from Top Gun (Leather Jacket, still easy to conceal) :mrgreen:
Last edited by ajwakeboarder on Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

Not trying to slam any wives but I just cant get my head around a wife telling hubby not to carry. Why not? It's concealed. No one will see it. What's really the objection? (be careful how you ask these questions cuz you do know what....) ;-)
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

It's a process many folks go through. Some are even the CHLee themselves. They think at first they will only carry when they think they'll need it and at some point realize they don't really know when that will be. Some work through it quicker than others, but usually everyone figures it out sooner or later.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Jaguar

Post by Jaguar »

I read and watch the news often enough to know I do want a gun while in a bank. Those places seem to be bank robber magnets.

:tiphat:
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -- James Madison

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

Jim Beaux wrote:Not trying to slam any wives but I just cant get my head around a wife telling hubby not to carry. Why not? It's concealed. No one will see it. What's really the objection? (be careful how you ask these questions cuz you do know what....) ;-)
Anyone who is not around guns or doesn't shoot is often uncomfortable with them. It isn't anti-gun, just media and such tend to train people to fear guns. Without some background or experience to combat that propaganda, it is essentially the default attitude of people who have neve been around guns.

LAYGO

Post by LAYGO »

Dang, my woman got her CHL before me. I try not to let her out of the house w/o a pistol if she's w/o me. I've bought her nice purses with dedicated pistol pockets. She had better carry.
S&W M&P 40 Mid (EDC) - S&W Shields (his/hers) - S&W M&P .45C - S&W 4513TSW .45 (1st Gen, retired to nightstand)
CMMG AR15 w/ACOG
Anderson AR15 pistol w/Aimpoint H1

08/04/2013 CHL class taken - plastic rec'd 08/26! Renewed 2018

Return to “Never Again!!”