CHL Day 1 and Shooting on my Street

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
FloMoAggie
Posts in topic: 2

CHL Day 1 and Shooting on my Street

Post by FloMoAggie »

Murphy's law was in full effect for me yesterday.

I received my CHL in the mail yesterday afternoon. I posted that info to the "Waiting Room" and then posted in the "New to CHL" lamenting about the fact that my weapon is at the gunsmith getting new sights installed. I just didn't expect to receive my license so quickly. Poor timing on my part. I was a little bummed out that my Wally Walk would have to wait.

Then, last night, a domestic violence incident turned deadly on my street. At about 7:15, a woman running for help to a neighbor's house two doors down from me was shot in the back with a shotgun by her husband. We heard the shot. He fled on foot. Police were on the scene PDQ, but it turned into an extended SWAT situation. We were told to stay away from windows and lock all doors. SWAT team members were mobilized directly in front of my house and remained stationed there until shortly after 1am when they entered the home of the shooter and found him dead of a self-inflicted wound. Thank God, the wife is in good condition and will survive.

Never again will I be without a weapon in my home or on my person when out of the house. I live in a nice neighborhood, and things like this are not "supposed" to happen here. I got my CHL for when I would be in "bad" areas or traveling far from home. Lesson learned. You never know when bad things are going to happen.

I learned last night that bad things happen all the time, anywhere, and when you least expect it. I really learned what is meant by "two is one, and one is none". I know that once the police arrived on scene that I was probably in the safest house in my town, but I have to tell you that I never want to feel the feeling again of knowing that I had no real way of defending myself, and more importantly - my family, against an armed bad guy.

Prayers for the awful situation and the woman and family involved would be very welcome.

FloMoAggie
Last edited by FloMoAggie on Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

puma guy

Re: CHL Day 1 and Shooting on my Street

Post by puma guy »

"it" can happen anywhere at anytime regardless of where you are or where you live. Beside all the obvious places, I carry at home, always.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Pawpaw »

Oh man! I'm so sorry you and your family had to go through that.

I'm more than a little embarrassed now about throwing out that meme when you posted yesterday. The only good thing is that you learned without it costing anything more than a scare.

I'm glad everything worked out OK for your family. I hope the lady recovers fully.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Suspect committed suicide. Wife was injured and in stable condition

http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/2015/02 ... iday.html/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You never know when or where things like this will happen
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
FloMoAggie

Post by FloMoAggie »

Pawpaw wrote:Oh man! I'm so sorry you and your family had to go through that.

I'm more than a little embarrassed now about throwing out that meme when you posted yesterday. The only good thing is that you learned without it costing anything more than a scare.

I'm glad everything worked out OK for your family. I hope the lady recovers fully.
Hi Pawpaw - Man, there's nothing to be embarrassed about. That was good advice. I just didn't expect the proof point to come so quickly. Like you said, I really learned a valuable lesson. And maybe just as importantly, last night provided a realistic and sobering context for me to talk to my wife and kids about my intent to be an everyday carrier now that I have my license. While my wife has been very accommodating about my desire to own a handgun and get my CHL, I don't think she was really prepared for me to carry it on my person, day-in and day-out.

While we were hunkered down last night, I explained to them all that this is a perfect example of why I intend to carry all the time from now on. Just like you wear a seat belt even though you have no intention of "needing" it. She understood. I fully expect to have to have this discussion again from time to time when I get the old "why do you have to wear it to go to Chick-Fil-A" or something like that. Becoming an everyday carrier is going to be a process for my whole family, not just me.

But I am committed.

FloMoAggie

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Phew! What an eye opening experience! That would put the fear of God into me too! I'm glad you had a chance to share your feelings with your family. That was truly beneficial, IMO.

And yes, it can happen to anyone, anywhere regardless where you live.

I hope you get your gun back soon, and start going to the practice range with it. :thumbs2:

Stay vigilant!
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

Welcome to the forum Flo. It's obvious that you are a novice and need our guidance.

I give you an "F". Yes buddy, you failed big time. Sub par reaction all the way... pay attention now cuz everyone here is snickering at you. You need to step it up & get your A game on or turn in your man card.

During this incident you never once thought to take tactical advantage. Yes siree, Im tawkin the high ground. You should have looked your wife straight in the eyes and said, "dear, this is why our household needs 11-20.... heck, maybe a few dozen more guns! .....just in case ya know?" :coolgleamA: During this stressful time she would have agreed! Now you are reduced to groveling and begging :cryin for your next just gotta have new guns. Man-O-Man....

As of now, :rules: consider yourself on double secret probation. "rlol"

Seriously, glad you and the family are safe.
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Hence Longtooth's saying: "Carry 24/7, or guess right." Glad you and yours are OK. Terrible stuff for the affected family. Did they have any kids?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Jim Beaux wrote:Welcome to the forum Flo. It's obvious that you are a novice and need our guidance.

I give you an "F". Yes buddy, you failed big time. Sub par reaction all the way... pay attention now cuz everyone here is snickering at you. You need to step it up & get your A game on or turn in your man card.

During this incident you never once thought to take tactical advantage. Yes siree, Im tawkin the high ground. You should have looked your wife straight in the eyes and said, "dear, this is why our household needs 11-20.... heck, maybe a few dozen more guns! .....just in case ya know?" :coolgleamA: During this stressful time she would have agreed! Now you are reduced to groveling and begging :cryin for your next just gotta have new guns. Man-O-Man....

As of now, :rules: consider yourself on double secret probation. "rlol"

Seriously, glad you and the family are safe.
Had a good laugh at your post. Thanks :thumbs2:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

FloMoAggie wrote:Never again will I be without a weapon in my home or on my person when out of the house.
I hope this means that spares are coming home after a little shopping. And a trip to the range with the wife and anyone else in the house big enough to shoot.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

Glad everything turned out OK. But you need to reconsider something. You said you got your chl for when you had to go somewhere you might need it. You will win 100% of the fights the you don't get into. So give serious thought about not going into areas where you think you'll need a gun. A gun is for just in case a bad situation overtakes you, not as protection for going into areas you shouldn't. Even armed, I avoid the "bad part of town" as part of my 'don't do stupid things in stupid places with stupid people at stupid times' fist rule of self defense.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

TexasCajun wrote:Glad everything turned out OK. But you need to reconsider something. You said you got your chl for when you had to go somewhere you might need it. You will win 100% of the fights the you don't get into. So give serious thought about not going into areas where you think you'll need a gun. A gun is for just in case a bad situation overtakes you, not as protection for going into areas you shouldn't. Even armed, I avoid the "bad part of town" as part of my 'don't do stupid things in stupid places with stupid people at stupid times' fist rule of self defense.
Absolutely. This is also why I carry 100% of the time I am legally allowed to. If I'm going somewhere where I think I'll need my gun, why would I even go there?

I also carry 100% of the time because I'm not good at predicting the future. If I carry all the time, I know 100% that I'll have it if I need it.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

mcscanner

Post by mcscanner »

FloMoAggie,

While I understand your comment about your house is the safest place when the police arrive outside and don't take this as a negative about police. My perspective is that's the time to take home security to the maximum level you can, because the police are outside. They are there because something happened and they are actively looking and they are looking elsewhere and not in your house, "yet" and hopefully never.

You did up the security level, but that one comment does lead me to believe you relaxed just a little. Predators only need that little window of opportunity to catch you off guard. It is very difficult to keep that high level of vigilance for any length of time. We all do the best we can at the time.

Glad it turned out well for you and your family.

Mike
The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

Jeff B.

Post by Jeff B. »

Talk about bad timing!

We heard about that on the news as we're a couple of miles away.

Interesting and tragic that the last two firearms incidents in the Mound have been domestic disturbances. It seems that domestic calls are right up at the top of the list that officers of the law don't like responding to, due to the volatility of the situation.

Your on the right track. Since the odds of "guessing right" are pretty low, EDC becomes a lot more logical.

Many folks up here think that nothing bad can happen because they're in Flower Mound. Very bad mindset, IMO.

Jeff B.
Don’t ever let someone get away with telling you that no one wants to take your guns. - Joe Huffman

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Nothing to worry about. The SWAT team was parked right outside. :mrgreen:

Crazy story. Glad it turned out ok for everyone, including the victim. I hope she heals quickly from the physical trauma. I'm sure the emotional scars will not heal as fast. Prayers for her.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Return to “Never Again!!”