3 year old shot in face at grandparents house

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 1

3 year old shot in face at grandparents house

Post by philip964 »

http://www.click2houston.com/news/3year ... g/34005872" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Grandparents babysitting. 3 year old put down for nap in same room with loaded unsecure gun in nightstand drawer.

Tragic.

jmra

Re: 3 year old shot in face at grandparents house

Post by jmra »

When will people learn? My guns are either on my body or in the safe and both of my kids are teenagers with a healthy respect for firearms.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Certainly a true tragedy. People should not keep loaded firearms within reach of little kids anymore than they should leave a toddler running around an uncovered pool. Lots of little kids drown in this nation, probably quite a bit more than are hurt or killed by firearms.

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

Prayers sent for that Boy and His Family. Tragic accident.
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

howdy

Post by howdy »

The little boy has died. So very sad.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/3year ... g/34005872" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

LSUTiger

Post by LSUTiger »

Having guns with children in the house are a compromise at best. That's why for an added layer of protection, up to a certain point, in addition to locking them up or having them on my body I leave them with mag in no round chambered.

Not that its an excuse to be complacent but If I forget to lock them up or by some chance they get to them when they are not supposed to they might be able to pull the trigger but it's not likely that they will have the strength or knowledge to chamber a round.

It's not the best way to carry or have a gun available for defense but with kids, especially small kids=compromise between accessibility, readiness and safety.
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

Nothing we can do about this. Just take it as a warning and see if you need to apply any changes in the way you store your guns in your house. Everyone has their own situation to deal with.

IMO, there are ways to lock guns while keeping them readily available. Also, choice in the type of gun can help if nothing else can be done. A double action revolver is less likely to be an issue versus a glock with a round in the chamber (just understand that is risk reduction, it doesn't eliminate the risk). I would suggest keeping chambers empty, but that isn't always easy to manage.

ShootDontTalk

Post by ShootDontTalk »

I've had this discussion many times with my family - grandkids and great grandkids. The only safe way to have loaded pistols around little ones is to have them on your person.

At night, when the little ones are at our house, the pistols go in a lock box and the primary defense is either a shotgun in "cruiser ready" position, or the AR-15 in "cruiser ready."
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!
Eli Wallach on concealed carry while taking a bubble bath

Return to “Never Again!!”