Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Right2Carry
Banned
Posts in topic: 11

Re: Man shoots himself at a recruting office

Post by Right2Carry »

jmra wrote:
Right2Carry wrote:darn Glocks.:-)
First I've heard that it was a Glock, but if it was, not the Glocks fault. People who don't know how to handle firearms need a gun with a manual safety.
Does your statement apply to all the Military Folks and LEO who use firearms with a Manual Safety? Special Forces? Your logic is flawed. Ever heard the term "Glock Leg"?
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

jmra
Posts in topic: 12

Post by jmra »

Right2Carry wrote:
jmra wrote:
First I've heard that it was a Glock, but if it was, not the Glocks fault. People who don't know how to handle firearms need a gun with a manual safety.
Does your statement apply to all the Military Folks and LEO who use firearms with a Manual Safety? Special Forces? Your logic is flawed. Ever heard the term "Glock Leg"?
I have heard the term Glock leg and it is a myth. There are many manufacturers of striker fired weapons without manual safeties. To call out Glock because of this feature displays ignorance of the firearms market. Not to mention the fact there is absolutely no documented evidence that striker fired weapons without manual safeties are involved in negligent discharges at a higher percentage of sales basis than firearms with manual safeties.
You are also taking my words out of context. I never said that everyone who owns a weapon with a manual safety doesn't know anything about firearms. What I stated is that people who aren't familiar with firearms should own a weapon with a manual safety. Big difference. Of course a manual safety doesn't do anyone any good if they don't understand its proper use. In fact, it's likely to get them killed in a self defense situation if they haven't developed the proper muscle memory to disengage the safety.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

And thus the absurdity of either argument. It is operator error pure and simple.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

jmra

Post by jmra »

C-dub wrote:And thus the absurdity of either argument. It is operator error pure and simple.
:iagree: to a point.
Firearm safety/knowledge is extremely important regardless of the firearm you own.
Last edited by jmra on Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Right2Carry
Banned

Post by Right2Carry »

jmra wrote:
Right2Carry wrote:
jmra wrote:
Right2Carry wrote:
jmra wrote:
I don't know if it was or wasn't hence the smiley. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if it turns out to be one.
like I said, if you don't know jack about firearms you need a manual safety.
You're certainly entitled to your opinion but it doesn't make it fact. IMHO Glocks are for people who can't walk and chew bubblegum at the same time.
So, the vast majority of LEO in the country can't walk and chew bubblegum at the same time? People who blame a Glock every time someone shoots themselves are not only perpetuating a myth about glocks and striker fired weapons, they are also revealing their ignorance of firearms.
It's not a myth that "glock leg' happens.

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/crim ... p/4666967/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Right2Carry wrote:
jmra wrote:
Right2Carry wrote:
jmra wrote:
Right2Carry wrote:
jmra wrote:
I don't know if it was or wasn't hence the smiley. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if it turns out to be one.
You're certainly entitled to your opinion but it doesn't make it fact. IMHO Glocks are for people who can't walk and chew bubblegum at the same time.
So, the vast majority of LEO in the country can't walk and chew bubblegum at the same time? People who blame a Glock every time someone shoots themselves are not only perpetuating a myth about glocks and striker fired weapons, they are also revealing their ignorance of firearms.

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/crim ... p/4666967/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And the same thing has never happened with any other firearm.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

jmra

Post by jmra »

Right2Carry wrote:
jmra wrote:
Right2Carry wrote:
jmra wrote:
Right2Carry wrote:
jmra wrote:

That's one video - there is also one out there of a seasoned gun owner shooting himself in the leg with a 1911. We can go back and forth all day with videos. Time to get back on topic.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Right2Carry
Banned

Post by Right2Carry »

C-dub wrote:
Right2Carry wrote:
jmra wrote:
Right2Carry wrote:
jmra wrote:
Right2Carry wrote:
jmra wrote:

I didn't say that, but Glock definetly has a reputation for this sort of thing happening.

jmra

Post by jmra »

Right2Carry wrote:
C-dub wrote:
Right2Carry wrote:
jmra wrote:
Right2Carry wrote:
jmra wrote:
Right2Carry wrote:
jmra wrote:

I didn't say that, but Glock definetly has a reputation for this sort of thing happening.
A reputation artificially generated by their competitors and perpetuated by the uninformed.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 2

Post by philip964 »

Right2Carry wrote:
jmra wrote:
Right2Carry wrote:
jmra wrote:
Right2Carry wrote:
jmra wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=83&t=36624&hilit=+holster" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is due to reholstering with the finger on the trigger.

With open carry starting soon it is not a bad time for us to be remembering this important item.

ShootDontTalk
Posts in topic: 5

Post by ShootDontTalk »

Right2Carry wrote: Does your statement apply to all the Military Folks and LEO who use firearms with a Manual Safety? Special Forces? Your logic is flawed. Ever heard the term "Glock Leg"?
Does your statement about "Glock leg" apply to GSG-9? I challenge you to go say it to them face to face. :roll:

You do know that a great many LE departments will not approve ANY pistol with a manual safety for duty use?

When are we going to learn that just because you read it on the internet it must be true - is a lie?

I agree on one immutable truth based on 60+ years of handling firearms. There is no firearm I have ever seen that will fire itself. It ALWAYS requires the intervention of a negligent human. Full stop. End of story.

Back on topic. Some stories report he had the gun in his pocket. Others say he was using a holster. All of them say he took the gun out to show it to a recruit. A beginners carry mistake.
Last edited by ShootDontTalk on Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!
Eli Wallach on concealed carry while taking a bubble bath

jmra

Post by jmra »

:iagree:
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

jmra wrote:
No, if you don't know how to handle firearms, don't carry one. Especially without a holster.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

jmra

Post by jmra »

mr1337 wrote:
jmra wrote:
No, if you don't know how to handle firearms, don't carry one. Especially without a holster.
I guess the sarcasm was lost somewhere along the way.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Right2Carry
Banned

Post by Right2Carry »

ShootDontTalk wrote:
Right2Carry wrote: Does your statement apply to all the Military Folks and LEO who use firearms with a Manual Safety? Special Forces? Your logic is flawed. Ever heard the term "Glock Leg"?
Does your statement about "Glock leg" apply to GSG-9? I challenge you to go say it to them face to face. :roll:

You do know that a great many LE departments will not approve ANY pistol with a manual safety for duty use?

When are we going to learn that just because you read it on the internet it must be true - is a lie?

I agree on one immutable truth based on 60+ years of handling firearms. There is no firearm I have ever seen that will fire itself. It ALWAYS requires the intervention of a negligent human. Full stop. End of story.

Back on topic. Some stories report he had the gun in his pocket. Others say he was using a holster. All of them say he took the gun out to show it to a recruit. A beginners carry mistake.

First and foremost the article which this topic was started says nothing about the recruiter showing the weapon to others so your statement about "ALL" is false. The article states the firearm went off in his pocket when the recruiter sat down.

Your opinion doesn't trump my opinion. Again plenty of videos of LEO and others having NDs with a firearm that is striker fired and light trigger pull, they are not myths. IMHO a firearm with light trigger pull and striker fired should at a minimum have a grip safety like the XD.

I haven't read one article that stated the recruiter was showing it to other recruiters. You are welcome to cite your source of your claim.

Why would

Return to “Never Again!!”