Sand in S&W 442 revolver

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
rp_photo
Posts in topic: 1

Sand in S&W 442 revolver

Post by rp_photo »

I just got back from a beach photo shoot and noticed that my pocket holster and EDC S&W 442 revolver had picked up some sand.

I blasted the gun internally and externally with "canned air", but can still hear some sand crunching when pulling the trigger or the cylinder release.

What would be my best course of action?
CHL since 2/2011
Glock 26, S&W 442, Ruger SP101 .357 3",
S&W M&P 40, Remington 870 Express 12 ga 18"

Dan20703

Re: Sand in S&W 442 revolver

Post by Dan20703 »

Disassemble and clean out sounds like the route I would take before ever pulling the trigger again.
Last edited by Dan20703 on Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
There will always be prayer in schools as long as there are tests.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Dan20703 wrote:Disassemble and clean out sounds the route I would take before ever pulling the trigger again.
No doubt about it. I'd also remove the grips and repeat the process. Obviously, sand has worked its way into the action.

If that doesn't work, you might want to think about taking it to a gunsmith for a good cleaning.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

I would try this sequence first:

1. Remove the sideplate that gives access to the receiver mechanism

2. Give it a good washout with a gun degreasing spray (lubricant may be holding sand particles in place and canned air won't dislodge them)

3. Follow that with a thorough application of canned air

4. Put the sideplate back and test.

If #4 is successful, remove the sideplate again and lube moving parts lightly

If #4 is unsuccessful, either do a full disassembly and clean (if you know how) or bring it to a gunsmith and have him do it.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Dan20703 wrote:Disassemble and clean out sounds the route I would take before ever pulling the trigger again.
This. The minerals in sand can be harder than steel. If you're hearing crunching, it's because bits of sand are getting ground between engaging surfaces which are supposed to be smooth. Each crunch risks damaging those surfaces. Until you can get the gun thoroughly clean, you might be doing the kind of damage that requires parts polishing/replacement each time you pull that trigger. Stop doing it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

No amount of "short cut" cleaning is going to get you what you need.. Full disassembly and clean.
If your not comfortable doing so, take it to a gunsmith. it's an easy job for them, disassembly, sonic tank, dry, inspect for wear and damage, reassembly, lube, hand off.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

E.Marquez wrote:. . . disassembly, sonic tank, dry, inspect for wear and damage, reassembly, lube, hand off.
This is what I would do. I would put it in a sonic tank and then lube. I would be afraid to take the chance of any sand staying inside the mechanism.

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

Go to a gun Smith.
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

Return to “Never Again!!”