Don't point gun at your neck when taking selfies-Houston

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

dlh
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Don't point gun at your neck when taking selfies-Houston

Post by dlh »

Good point Taypo. I have taught lots of folks to shoot through the years. One of the most common things I see beginners do (not sure why they do this) is put their finger in the trigger guard housing when they first handle the firearm so I make it a point to tell them not to do that before I give them the gun.

dlh
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mojo84 »

dlh wrote:Good point Taypo. I have taught lots of folks to shoot through the years. One of the most common things I see beginners do (not sure why they do this) is put their finger in the trigger guard housing when they first handle the firearm so I make it a point to tell them not to do that before I give them the gun.

dlh
Here's an interesting article about the evolution of not putting one's finger in the trigger guard. http://www.gunsandammo.com/uncategorize ... %e2%80%9d/

However, pointing the gun in a safe direction is the primary rule this person broke and then paid the ultimate price.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

dlh wrote:. . . I have taught lots of folks to shoot through the years. One of the most common things I see beginners do (not sure why they do this) is put their finger in the trigger guard housing when they first handle the firearm so I make it a point to tell them not to do that before I give them the gun.

dlh
This has been my experience also. I've asked students over the years why they did that and most have no answer. My theory is that folks without firearms training do what comes natural; they grip the handgun or long gun with all 5 or 10 fingers. When we grip most any object, other than a firearm, we wrap all 5 or 10 finger around it and including the index finger of our strong hand. I've seen some new folks put all 5 fingers of their strong hand on the pistol grip, with the trigger finger under the trigger guard. Again, this is a natural grip. When I tell them to remove their index/trigger finger, slide the gun down in their hand, they naturally put their trigger finger inside the trigger guard to feel a natural grip.

There you have it; a lawyer playing amateur shrink. :lol:

Chas.

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

I think of it like playing cowboys and indians as a kid.
you always aim with your finger and pull the trigger "bang, bang, bang" so it almost felt natural, when I first picked up a handgun, to put my trigger finger inside the guard
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
There you have it; a lawyer playing amateur shrink. :lol:

Chas.
I don't see how you can get along without that. If there was one skill I often wished for as a lawyer, it was to be more adept at sizing up the people I had to deal with. It's a tricky business!

Sometimes I wished I had majored in poker.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

I described this incident to my 22 year old daughter as "ok, a 19 year old with 2 kids goes to take a selfie with a gun, holds the gun like so, phone like this and pulls the trigger. what all did he do wrong" her answer. "everything!" I said, "can you expand on that?" "um, starting with being 19 and having 2 kids, and moving on to putting his finger on the trigger, proceeding to breaking every rule you've ever taught me including pointing the gun at something you don't intent to destroy!"
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Maybe he had one of those murder guns instead of a protection gun.

It doesn't get good until about the 1 minute mark.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

TXBO
Banned

Post by TXBO »

C-dub wrote:Maybe he had one of those murder guns instead of a protection gun.

Too funny.

joe817

Post by joe817 »

I can't believe I actually watched this. :???: :grumble
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

I truly feel a little bit dumber now....
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

SewTexas wrote:I truly feel a little bit dumber now....
You should feel smarter around people like her.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

C-dub wrote:
SewTexas wrote:I truly feel a little bit dumber now....
You should feel smarter around people like her.
What do you call a blonde in a leather jacket?

Rebel without a clue.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

C-dub wrote:Maybe he had one of those murder guns instead of a protection gun.

I find this one hard to believe, nobody even a fake blond can be that stupid!
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

John Galt

Post by John Galt »

Javier730 wrote:Sept. 1, 2015: A man posing with a gun and taking selfies was killed when the gun went off and struck him. Cathy Hernandez reports.

Cathy Hernandez is a moron. Guns don't just go off. Very bad reporting. The title should go something like this:

Sept. 1, 2015: An ignorant man trying to look like gangsta and taking selfies like a middle school tween, killed himself when he pointed a loaded pistol at his neck and squeezed the trigger.

She could of at least said he accidently shot himself. Saying the gun went off makes other ignorant people believe they actually do.
:smash:

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

SewTexas wrote:I described this incident to my 22 year old daughter as "ok, a 19 year old with 2 kids goes to take a selfie with a gun, holds the gun like so, phone like this and pulls the trigger. what all did he do wrong" her answer. "everything!" I said, "can you expand on that?" "um, starting with being 19 and having 2 kids, and moving on to putting his finger on the trigger, proceeding to breaking every rule you've ever taught me including pointing the gun at something you don't intent to destroy!"
:clapping: There it is!

Return to “Never Again!!”