Man accidentally kills himself while taking photos with gun

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

xrays1
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Man accidentally kills himself while taking photos with gun

Post by xrays1 »

Wow! Rule #1 people. The rules for safe firearm handling are easy to learn and very effective when obeyed.

Middle Age Russ
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Middle Age Russ »

Rule #1: ALWAYS keep a gun pointed in a safe direction -- Subject FAILED to observe this rule.
Rule #2: ALWAYS keep a gun empty and unloaded until ready to use -- Subject FAILED to observe this rule.
Rule #3: ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target -- Subject FAILED to observe this rule.

OK, there may be a bit of latitude on the last one there since we don't know for a fact that he himself was not the intended target. Even so, the result of the subject's actions was DEATH. Failure to observe one of the rules rarely results in anything catastrophic. Failure to observe two of the rules is a whole lot riskier. Failure to observe any of the rules is a recipe for disaster.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Middle Age Russ wrote: Rule #2: ALWAYS keep a gun empty and unloaded until ready to use -- Subject FAILED to observe this rule.
I am sorry, but I don't remember this as one the gun safety rules. If it is one I missed I violate this rule because all if my guns are always loaded.

b4aftr

Post by b4aftr »

carlson1 wrote:
Middle Age Russ wrote: Rule #2: ALWAYS keep a gun empty and unloaded until ready to use -- Subject FAILED to observe this rule.
I am sorry, but I don't remember this as one the gun safety rules. If it is one I missed I violate this rule because all if my guns are always loaded.
:iagree:

Not loaded = a brick

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

carlson1 wrote:
I saw this "rule" as at Frisco Gun Club" and made :waiting: :roll:
When you need a gun, you may not have time to load and make ready...
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

As for the original post. Are drugs or booze a factor in the story?
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Topic author
allisji

Post by allisji »

Beiruty wrote:As for the original post. Are drugs or booze a factor in the story?
Sure sounds like something was affecting these people's judgment. Though ignorance can be just as deadly as drugs.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

Middle Age Russ wrote:
Rule #2: ALWAYS keep a gun empty and unloaded until ready to use -- Subject FAILED to observe this rule.

This IS one of the NRA's three gun safety rules. I got them out of order -- #2 and #3 should be switched. Folks carrying a gun for defensive purposes, or keeping it "at the ready" for same, are "ready to use", so they do not fail this rule in the slightest. I would argue that if the subject's intent was not to kill himself, he failed to observe this rule.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

This was discussed elsewhere and someone posted 3 or 4 links to other similar incidents though not all in the US. I sometimes think we should just give every adult a loaded handgun and let things settle out naturally.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Jusme »

Beiruty wrote:As for the original post. Are drugs or booze a factor in the story?

There's not much detail in the story, but given the fact that he had according to the report, been doing this throughout the day (taking pictures) then it's possible that he was drinking.

What really irks me about reports like this, besides the fact that the guy won't have the opportunity to learn from his mistake, is that the press, and anti-gun left wingers will somehow conclude that this is a common occurrence among "responsible" gun owners. They will point to this as to why gun are unsafe and should be restricted. Never mind the fact that true responsible gun owners will never have this happen, the impression is that we are all just one ND away from having our name in the paper.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

pushpullpete

Post by pushpullpete »

b4aftr wrote:
carlson1 wrote:
:iagree:

Not loaded = a brick

brick, hahaha good one. I grew up learning it was an expensive club.

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

n5wd wrote:
uthornsfan wrote:How does a concrete man die from a gun shot?
Usually it's exsanguination (blood loss) or trauma to the central nervous system (shot to head or spine), just like everyone else.

:coolgleamA:
:lol:
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Let's see, under the Cooper system
1) all guns are always loaded
2) finger off the trigger until sights are on the target
3) never let the muzzle cover anything you are NOT willing to destroy
4) be sure of your target AND the backstop

appears to me that 4 out of 4 were violated.... :nono:
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Middle Age Russ wrote:

Middle Age Russ wrote:

This IS one of the NRA's three gun safety rules. I got them out of order -- #2 and #3 should be switched. Folks carrying a gun for defensive purposes, or keeping it "at the ready" for same, are "ready to use", so they do not fail this rule in the slightest. I would argue that if the subject's intent was not to kill himself, he failed to observe this rule.
I usually have a loaded handgun on my person, a loaded handgun in a safe next to my bed, a loaded handgun in my car, and a loaded shotgun in my safe. I consider all of these as ready to use. Hopefully I am not violating any rules.

Return to “Never Again!!”