oops! accidentally exposed my pistol.

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
NcongruNt
Posts in topic: 4

oops! accidentally exposed my pistol.

Post by NcongruNt »

I got a flat tire the other day and went into the shop to get the flat fixed. I wear a Hi-Power OWB, with an unbuttoned shirt for cover. I'm usually very good about making sure my weapon is covered up when I get out of my van. Well, my seatbelt or seat must have caught my shirt as I was getting out. I adjusted my belt as soon as I was out as usual, just as the tire fellow was walking up to me. His eyes got a little big as he looked at my waist area. I look down, and sure enough my shirt had tucked itself behind the grip, and my gun was there for the world (just the one guy, really) to see. I fix my shirt and continue my business. The rest is uneventful - found that the problem was a gash on the edge of the tread, so had to buy a new tire.

Echoing what others have said on this forum - I believe the main thing here is that if you do happen to accidentally expose your weapon, cover up and continue as normal. When your actions indicate that what just happened isn't a big deal, people are less likely to freak out. Having confidence about yourself will convey that your possession of a concealed firearm is normal.

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 2

Post by seamusTX »

The guy probably thought you were an undercover narcotics officer. :mrgreen:

(I have been waiting to use that emoticon.)

- Jim

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Oops...You made a reasonable effort to maintain concealment...

I'd say no harm, no foul...

Obviously your posting about it and have not been placed in a maximum security holding facility... ;-)
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: oops! accidentally exposed my pistol.

Post by flintknapper »

NcongruNt wrote: Echoing what others have said on this forum - I believe the main thing here is that if you do happen to accidentally expose your weapon, cover up and continue as normal. When your actions indicate that what just happened isn't a big deal, people are less likely to freak out. Having confidence about yourself will convey that your possession of a concealed firearm is normal.

+1

Good post, thanks for sharing.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

AV8R

Post by AV8R »

+1 as well.

I've had my jacket blown open by wind gusts a few times, once in front of a DPS officer at the local HQ. No one has ever taken a second glance. This is where professional-looking equipment pays off. I believe that investing in top-tier holsters and belts is money well spent. It adds comfort and efficiency, and it makes your gun look like it belongs there if it's inadvertently exposed.

Topic author
NcongruNt

Post by NcongruNt »

seamusTX wrote:The guy probably thought you were an undercover narcotics officer. :mrgreen:

- Jim
It's quite possible. I was 5 blocks from the police station. Then again, I don't think most undercover cops drive around in 1975 1-ton Chevy Custom vans with "Ladie's Choice" inscribed on the side. ;-)

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

NcongruNt wrote:
seamusTX wrote:The guy probably thought you were an undercover narcotics officer. :mrgreen:

- Jim
It's quite possible. I was 5 blocks from the police station. Then again, I don't think most undercover cops drive around in 1975 1-ton Chevy Custom vans with "Ladie's Choice" inscribed on the side. ;-)
Don't kid yourself. In 1988 I drove a 1974 GMC van with a large yellow duck painted on the back that said "Don't Worry Be Happy" :grin:

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

NcongruNt wrote:Then again, I don't think most undercover cops drive around in 1975 1-ton Chevy Custom vans with "Ladie's Choice" inscribed on the side. ;-)
It sounds like the perfect cover to me. :smile:

The Galveston County Sheriff's office has a number of "interesting" vehicles that they have confiscated, including a Camaro painted with the county colors and bearing a gumball rack.

I really don't know what an undercover narcotics officer should look like. I have never met one, to my knowledge.

- Jim

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

seamusTX wrote:The Galveston County Sheriff's office has a number of "interesting" vehicles that they have confiscated, including a Camaro painted with the county colors and bearing a gumball rack.

I really don't know what an undercover narcotics officer should look like. I have never met one, to my knowledge.
- Jim
You will never know unless you have "inside" information or they tell you. I went from the Van, long hair, beard, tank top (I am covered in tattoos) - to bald head, clean shaven, regular shirt with the shirt tail hanging out, a 1968 antique Ford Truck - to short hair, suit (covered the tattoos), and driving a BMW :grin: That was the days. . . I have bought drugs in the "Gibsons" (Old Style Wal Mart) parking lots to town houses in Little Rock. You just never know. Very dangerous life to live.

Topic author
NcongruNt

Post by NcongruNt »

carlson1 wrote:
seamusTX wrote:The Galveston County Sheriff's office has a number of "interesting" vehicles that they have confiscated, including a Camaro painted with the county colors and bearing a gumball rack.

- Jim
You will never know unless you have "inside" information or they tell you. I went from the Van, long hair, beard, tank top (I am covered in tattoos) - to bald head, clean shaven, regular shirt with the shirt tail hanging out, a 1968 antique Ford Truck - to short hair, suit (covered the tattoos), and driving a BMW :grin: That was the days. . . I have bought drugs in the "Gibsons" (Old Style Wal Mart) parking lots to town houses in Little Rock. You just never know. Very dangerous life to live.
Interesting. And I thought that was just something they did in the movies. :grin:

JLaw

Re: oops! accidentally exposed my pistol.

Post by JLaw »

flintknapper wrote:
NcongruNt wrote: Echoing what others have said on this forum - I believe the main thing here is that if you do happen to accidentally expose your weapon, cover up and continue as normal. When your actions indicate that what just happened isn't a big deal, people are less likely to freak out. Having confidence about yourself will convey that your possession of a concealed firearm is normal.

+1

Good post, thanks for sharing.
+2!

JLaw

The Marshal

Post by The Marshal »

HA! Yeah, always remember to "act like you've been here before."

Guaranteed - you freak out, they will freak out. :grin:

Friend of mine that works for Homeland Security, and lives in Northern Dallas area. His job is to locate/watch/pickup hardcore criminal illegals.

His vehicle? A Chrysler Caravan. With pull shades. And "Mom's Taxi" sticker on it. :rolll

He said he was "too slow" to get the "cool cars" when they were handing out the assignments.

~Bill

austin

Post by austin »

LOL!

NcongruNt, maybe that guy saw a ghost.

That looks like the van from Scooby Doo!!

Don't tell us your wife looks like Daphne!

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

You guys are crackin' me up!!! :smilelol5:
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

The Marshal wrote:His vehicle? A Chrysler Caravan. With pull shades. And "Mom's Taxi" sticker on it. :rolll

~Bill
Does he threaten to pull over if they don't put their seatbelts on & get quiet?
:lol:
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

Return to “Never Again!!”