So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 2

TX: 8 yr old picks up rifle and kills woman in next room

Post by philip964 »

http://www.click2houston.com/news/east- ... s-up-rifle

A man was cleaning his guns, when an 8 year old picked up a rifle and apparently pulled the trigger on a loaded, cocked and unlocked rifle, killing his wife in the next room.

RIP

What is the deal with leaving rifles in this configuration? How many times do we have to read about this? Just last week it was a rifle in a case stored in this condition killed a woman in California.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Re: TX: 8 yr old picks up rifle and kills woman in next room

Post by C-dub »

philip964 wrote: What is the deal with leaving rifles in this configuration? How many times do we have to read about this? Just last week it was a rifle in a case stored in this condition killed a woman in California.
I don't get it either. I only clean one firearm at a time and the first thing I do is unload it or check to make sure it is unloaded.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

I live alone and might have guns in this condition, but that would change if anyone else was in the house. This wasn't even their kid, but a relative. They have visitors in the house and still had a loaded gun out and accessible.

The 8 year old is old enough to have been taught better than that. Now he has to grow up knowing he pulled the trigger on this woman.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

MechAg94 wrote:I live alone and might have guns in this condition, but that would change if anyone else was in the house. This wasn't even their kid, but a relative. They have visitors in the house and still had a loaded gun out and accessible.

The 8 year old is old enough to have been taught better than that. Now he has to grow up knowing he pulled the trigger on this woman.
Note that the story does not say the boy pulled the trigger. It says that the gun accidentally discharged. Guns seem to do that a lot in the news. I said he pulled the trigger because I know that is what happened. The press seems unwilling to ever say that. I'm sure the parents will tell their boy it was not his fault as well, it was an accident.

It was not an accident and the husband deserves a lot of the blame.

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

Well the media in stories like this leaves alot to be desired in the way of details. Because of that we have to make logical leaps and assumptions. But jumping to a conclusion based on that IMO is foolish. The man was cleaning his "guns" as in plural. Maybe he hadn't gotten to this one yet or had a chance to clear it. Its also possible that the gun had been modified and the safety failed, or the boy grabbed/picked up the gun improperly and accidentally touched the trigger and it went off. Maybe the boy went to touch the guns and the gentleman tried to stop him but gun went off before he could tell him it hadn't been checked. We don't know, we weren't there and trusting the media to give us a clear picture is silly.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

Haas

Post by Haas »

This type of situation make me wonder about people. I feel even worst for the son; he now gets to go through life thinking he's the reason his mother is gone.
:txflag: I love this place

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

Why are people cleaning their guns with guests (that have kids) over?

This situation could have been avoided if the guy thought about leaving firearms out accessible to the child.

This situation could also have been avoided if the child was taught gun safety. Appropriate at that age would be "Stop, Don't touch!" type instruction.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Lots of lessons to be learned by all.

I hope they are so someone else's life is not lost by a similar tragedy.

That is why this post is in the "Never Again!!" topic.

RIP Mrs. Morris
NRA Endowment Member

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

mr1337 wrote:Why are people cleaning their guns with guests (that have kids) over?

This situation could have been avoided if the guy thought about leaving firearms out accessible to the child.

This situation could also have been avoided if the child was taught gun safety. Appropriate at that age would be "Stop, Don't touch!" type instruction.
Maybe some of them had gone shooting together prior to the incident, just a guess. Other than that unknown (yay mass media!), I agree with you 100%

doncb

Post by doncb »

philip964 wrote:
MechAg94 wrote:
Fixed it. >>>> "It was not an accident and the husband deserves ALL of the blame." Why? Because he had a loaded gun when other people were around. Especially a kid. He also didn't have control of the gun to prevent the kid from picking it up.

I keep one loaded gun in my house. The one I use for CC. I guarantee that once my Grandson starts coming over it will either be on my person or unloaded and out of reach. I already keep ammunition stored separately.
If you're standing still, you're loosing.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

K.Mooneyham wrote:
mr1337 wrote:Why are people cleaning their guns with guests (that have kids) over?

Maybe some of them had gone shooting together prior to the incident, just a guess. Other than that unknown (yay mass media!), I agree with you 100%
We have had in laws staying with us and I have used this as an opportunity to get caught up on all my gun cleaning. At a table in the garage, far from anyone else in the house. Of course, the separation is kind of the whole point since these in laws are very liberal, and very anti-gun, so I find that we get along a lot better if we are not in the same room.

Any gun that leaves my safe is immediately checked to ensure it is unloaded before it even heads to the gun cleaning table, of course.

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

C-dub wrote:
philip964 wrote: What is the deal with leaving rifles in this configuration? How many times do we have to read about this? Just last week it was a rifle in a case stored in this condition killed a woman in California.
I don't get it either. I only clean one firearm at a time and the first thing I do is unload it or check to make sure it is unloaded.
:iagree: Standard procedure for me too regardless of firearm type. And with small children in the house he was calling it.
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

doncb wrote:
philip964 wrote:
MechAg94 wrote:
Fixed it. >>>> "It was not an accident and the husband deserves ALL of the blame." Why? Because he had a loaded gun when other people were around. Especially a kid. He also didn't have control of the gun to prevent the kid from picking it up.

I keep one loaded gun in my house. The one I use for CC. I guarantee that once my Grandson starts coming over it will either be on my person or unloaded and out of reach. I already keep ammunition stored separately.
:iagree: Same here, when I had kids in the house the gun was either on me or locked up. I still maibntain the same mode without anybody else in the house except I hide the gun if it isn't on me.
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Every gun I own is unloaded except my EDC, and that is inaccessible to anyone but me. I don't leave shells in my shotgun, magazines in my AR-15 or my pistols (except one, and that is an empty mag) and I always make sure the chamber is cleared before storing a gun, even temporarily.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Return to “Never Again!!”