Man loses leg after shooting lawn mower

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

sugar land dave
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Man loses leg after shooting lawn mower

Post by sugar land dave »

Countryside wrote:
sugar land dave wrote:In today's world how is this stuff even legal to sell to the general public? I sometimes think mankind has gone ever so slightly insane. :tiphat:
Well, they sell gasoline and matches, too.
That doesn't mean I have to soak myself with gasoline and light up a cigarette. :lol:

Tannerite comes with instructions and warnings.
Foolish people disregard them.
I do not think tannerite is an innocuous as gasoline. I might also go so far as to say foolish people might not be the only ones to disregard instructions and warnings.
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

Countryside
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Countryside »

sugar land dave wrote:
Countryside wrote:
sugar land dave wrote:In today's world how is this stuff even legal to sell to the general public? I sometimes think mankind has gone ever so slightly insane. :tiphat:
That doesn't mean I have to soak myself with gasoline and light up a cigarette. :lol:

I do not think tannerite is an innocuous as gasoline. I might also go so far as to say foolish people might not be the only ones to disregard instructions and warnings.
How does disregarding instructions and warnings NOT make one foolish?
Also, if you end up hurting yourself with Tannerite...you've gone to a lot of trouble to do it.

sugar land dave

Countryside wrote:
sugar land dave wrote:
Countryside wrote:

Also, if you end up hurting yourself with Tannerite...you've gone to a lot of trouble to do it.
Some people on the planet are not foolish; they just have evil intent.
NRA Life Member

Mavs00
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Mavs00 »

I'm pretty sure Darwin had a theory on this sorta stuff?

Deltaboy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Deltaboy »

Darwin is in full effect with that fellow.
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

LabRat wrote: It's not just the tannerite detonation, as stated before, he compounded the issue by "packing" it into a metal container (the lawnmower).
He made a really nice pipe bomb, of sorts. The initial explosion was compressed by the metal lawnmower, not allowing it to vent.
The pressure was contained and compressed until the metal fatigued - even for a few thousandths of a second....resulting in much bigger and focused explosive event. The metal lawnmower parts just went where the blast sent it.

I feel sorry for the man, losing his leg. But he seriously underestimated the physics of the blast he was creating. :nono:
oljames3's 155 mm howitzer shell has such a destructive blast radius; the explosion is contained within the shell for a few thousandths of a second to create a serious over-pressure explosion fragmenting the shell and sending metal shards flying at several times the speed of sound.

Warnings are for cautions people. Reckless folks will never read them in the first place. Maybe he'll keep someone else from doing the same thing.
In NC, where I'm from, most of these stories begin with..."Well, me and Delbert was drinkin' and....".

LabRat
Which is a very good explanation of how a 'deflagration' becomes a 'detonation' leading to an 'explosion'...lol.

Being an Ammo Tech, we played with stuff that goes 'boom' quite a bit. We generally didn't underestimate the effects of our commercial explosives.

I DID underestimate one once that involve a gallon can of sliced pineapple...lol. In the Gulf War, we burned our trash in holes. When we got hot chow for breakfast, they always brought a few gallon cans of sliced fruit. I was one of the only ones that generally ate any of it so I tended to collect cans of the stuff in excess of what I actually ate...

I was burning the trash one day about 45 feet from the truck where my buddies were occupied with our primary pastime out in middle of nowhere...spades. I set one of those gallon cans in the edge of the fire hole and waited. That sucker went off blowing the lid off the can and sending sliced pineapple for about 35 feet (it went farther than I figured it would...but in the intended direction though...lol.) When that can went off, those marines around that card table came un-glued!

They didn't find it as funny as I did...lol.
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

Countryside
Banned

Post by Countryside »

sugar land dave wrote:
Countryside wrote:
sugar land dave wrote:
Countryside wrote:

I see what you mean...as in someone using it as a weapon against someone else. That's true...but I don't view that really as the same thing that this thread is about.
The worst enemy of the guy in the video was himself.

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

And if you removed everything that someone could use to do harm, you would probably be left with Fruit Loops or Rice Crispies...until someone figured out how to hurt someone with those too...
- Napoleon Bonaparte

Maxwell
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Maxwell »

RogueUSMC wrote:And if you removed everything that someone could use to do harm, you would probably be left with Fruit Loops or Rice Crispies...until someone figured out how to hurt someone with those too...
Fruit Loops up the nose is no fun! (If I remember correctly...) :rolll
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

Pictures or it didn't happen...
- Napoleon Bonaparte

Maxwell
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Maxwell »

RogueUSMC wrote:Pictures or it didn't happen...
Nope... No evidence will be submitted... :biggrinjester:
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

sugar land dave

Countryside wrote:
sugar land dave wrote:
Countryside wrote:
sugar land dave wrote:
Countryside wrote:

I see what you mean...as in someone using it as a weapon against someone else. That's true...but I don't view that really as the same thing that this thread is about.
The worst enemy of the guy in the video was himself.
Breaking news: Authorities took a suspect into custody in Santa Monica after discovering an arsenal in his car that included tannerite powder, assault weapons and a camouflage outfit. The suspect told authorities that he was there for the Los Angeles Pride festival. The arrest has no connection to the Orlando nightclub mass shooting. http://abc7.com/news/suspect-w--arsenal ... a/1382290/
NRA Life Member

Return to “Never Again!!”