Almost pulled my gun at HEB.

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Deltaboy
Posts in topic: 3

Almost pulled my gun at HEB.

Post by Deltaboy »

Earlier this week we swing by our HEB a bit before noon. We parked and before we got out a man walked up and opened the back door and my Daughter screamed at him this not your car. I had saw him in the mirror as I started getting out and I had it halfway out before she hollered and he almost dropped his groceries he said Sorry and went down 2 more cars and got into a similar car in Color and style. Our car unlocks the doors when you put it park. We got back in the car for a minute then had a good laugh.
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Almost pulled my gun at HEB.

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Holy marcel I'm glad it was just a mistake and you restrained it just long enough.

Wow, I'd have the floaty feeling for the rest of the day with that!
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

rotor

Post by rotor »

Deltaboy wrote:Earlier this week we swing by our HEB a bit before noon. We parked and before we got out a man walked up and opened the back door and my Daughter screamed at him this not your car. I had saw him in the mirror as I started getting out and I had it halfway out before she hollered and he almost dropped his groceries he said Sorry and went down 2 more cars and got into a similar car in Color and style. Our car unlocks the doors when you put it park. We got back in the car for a minute then had a good laugh.
Can't you program your car to not unlock the doors in park?

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Deltaboy wrote:Our car unlocks the doors when you put it park.
I would figure out how to disable this feature.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

rotor wrote:
Deltaboy wrote:Earlier this week we swing by our HEB a bit before noon. We parked and before we got out a man walked up and opened the back door and my Daughter screamed at him this not your car. I had saw him in the mirror as I started getting out and I had it halfway out before she hollered and he almost dropped his groceries he said Sorry and went down 2 more cars and got into a similar car in Color and style. Our car unlocks the doors when you put it park. We got back in the car for a minute then had a good laugh.
Can't you program your car to not unlock the doors in park?
Maybe pull a fuse?
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

Take it to the dealership. They can fix that for you. I had it done to my Camry. I have to manually lock the doors as they don't auto-lock when I put it in gear. Worth it in my opinion.
NRA Benefactor Member

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

There appears to be ways to do that without pulling a fuse on many vehicles.

https://www.google.com/search?sourceid= ... 4.2738j0j7
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Soap
Deactivated until real name is provided

Post by Soap »

I'm glad my car automatically locked when I put it in drive and never unlocked unless I make it. I also am the first person to get out the car before anyone else. Most of the time I keep watch and my wife gets my daughter out. Well call me a paranoid [profanity deleted. Next time the post will be deleted.] all day. I'll take it when it comes to my daughter. I'm not from here so I don't really know anyone. Just how I do.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Before I took possession of my Tundra, the salesman explained that my doors would unlock after I stopped to put it in park.

I told him I wanted this feature disabled. In my opinion this is a safety hazard. He made certain it was done.

My doors lock when I put it in drive.

That's a door lock feature I like.

vjallen75

Post by vjallen75 »

koine2002 wrote:On my old Impala I could disable that feature using an interface on the radio. It was the same interface to tell the computer that the oil had been changed, to calibrate the TPM system, to program the alarm/chirp/beep, etc.

That said, I'm glad it all worked out. A few weeks back I was driving the church's SUV to pick people up (I'm not only pastor but taxi driver and chief janitor). It's a maroon Eddie Bauer Expedition from the late 1990's. There's only a billion of those out there. I went into a QT to get some coffee and came out. I went to what I though was the SUV and noticed the door cracked open. I thought the worst until I opened the door. Not the right SUV. No incident other than being embarrassed. They laughed when they say the one I was driving.
I had a similar situation. I pulled into a big parking lot for an interview in the HEB area. I had just bought my impala BTW, I came outside after it was over and opened the door to what I thought was my vehicle. I realized after I opened the door that it was not my vehicle, luckily for me nobody was around to enjoy my embarrassment.

I've also had people walk up to my car to get in when I pick up my kids from school. I bet it's scary for a kid to walk up to a car thinking it was mom/dad is inside only to see someone else.

To the OP, I'm glad you have the resolve to hang tight and not draw your firearm.
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

I've never actually opened the door, but I have gotten to the point of grabbing the door handle before I realized it wasn't mine. I know a lot of people are busy and not thinking as they leave stores etc. especially if they have to corral kids, carry groceries, fumble for keys etc. Fortunately it was an honest mistake, but those are the kinds of things I drill into my wife and kids. Always check your surroundings when you pull into a parking lot, keep your doors locked until you have surveyed the area, drive away if anything looks hinky (yes that is a technical term) your intuition is often your best friend. It is better to have to go to a different store than to take chances. I don't know if the OP was in Cleburne or Burleson, but both HEB's are extremely busy on the weekends, and have a lot of people walking through the lots, glad it was just an uh-oh moment and not one that required a police investigation.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

glad everything was okay. Good going for your daughter to scream and not just freeze up.

I drive a gray Honda Accord. I parked a few weeks ago in front of Michael's craft store so that She could get some MORE crafty stuff. I parked nose to nose with another gray Accord. I am sitting there in over watch mode and I see her exit with stuff in her hands and she is looking at her receipt.

I sigh to myself thinking head on a swivel and Look up! As she walks around the back of the other gray Honda to the passenger door and yanks on the door handle. Then I see the scowl break across her face because she thinks I have forgotten to unlock the door. So her response is to grab the handle and start yanking it vigoursly to send me a message of her disapproval.

So I tap the horn and she jumps with a start and she looks my way and the anger gives way to confusion as she still has her hand on the other car. She looks at the other car and then back at me. I can see the gears turning as realization creeps across her face and then the red of embarrassment. She finally let's go and looks around to see if anyone is watching and then walks over to our car.

She was not happy when she got in the car. I said won't do that again will you. She said no... Then sorry...
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

txcharvel

Post by txcharvel »

After a late night with not much sleep, I got up at my usual 5AM for work and stopped at my local Starbucks for a triple shot latte. I parked my silver Honda Pilot, walked inside, got my coffee, and walked back out. When I got in my car I had an instant panic attack "What is going on, I don't have leather seats!!!" Then I saw some personal items and quickly realized "THIS ISN'T MY CAR!" I jump out, manage not to spill my latte, and calmly walk a few cars down to where I was parked. They were identical cars on the exterior. Even the same roof racks.

After I calmed down I kept thinking "Who leaves there car unlocked these days?"

I'm really glad your situation turned out OK. :cheers2:

howdy

Post by howdy »

I did this with an airplane. I was a 17 year old renter and the FBO (fixed based operator) had a yellow and white Cherokee 140 that I was going to go fly. I walked out to the airplane, opened the door and crawled in to put my stuff in and check to make sure everything was OK in the cockpit, and I noticed the radios were different in this plane. I hurriedly grabbed my stuff to exit and was met by a VERY ANGRY aircraft owner. He called me every name in the book then went inside to complain to the dealership owner. He then called me every name in the book. I was very embarrassed and apologized to everyone. That owner never let me forget my error. He got his one day when a tractor mower ran over him. :???:
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Return to “Never Again!!”