Manager at Texas Whataburger denies service to detective because of his gun

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton


Abraham
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 8103
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:43 am

Re: Manager at Texas Whataburger denies service to detective because of his gun

#121

Post by Abraham » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:08 pm

Soccerdad1995,

Thank you for your gracious and well stated post.

User avatar

Topic author
gtolbert09
Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:35 pm
Location: Flower Mound,Tx

Re: Manager at Texas Whataburger denies service to detective because of his gun

#122

Post by gtolbert09 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:59 pm

Here ya go


https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/civilian
Definition of civilian
1 : a specialist in Roman or modern civil law
2 a : one not on active duty in the armed services or not on a police or firefighting force
b : outsider 1
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
USAF 1983-1994
NRA LifeTime Member
TSRA Member


OlBill
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 8
Posts: 538
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:36 am

Re: Manager at Texas Whataburger denies service to detective because of his gun

#123

Post by OlBill » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:49 pm

NNT wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:05 pm
I totally agree if they work outside the law it is very dangerous. :iagree: They do not have the right to arrest me any time the choose, there are laws (as I mentioned previously) that dictate what, where, how, etc. :rules:

I also completely agree with your last comment. I wish they were not a necessity. :iagree:

As to the what we can carry, I believe a free people should be able to own any and all firearms, tanks, whatever. If we use them to harm others there should be stiff consequences.

I understand language matters, and correct words can make a big difference. I also understand we use words to communicate ideas, and if we (as a people) differ on some terms, but understand the intended message, we can get along. :cheers2:

The origin and correct usage of terms like rights, privilege authority duty morals ethics, etc could be an interesting and lively debate in a different time and place. :boxing
I'm truly pleased we could find common ground.


OlBill
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 8
Posts: 538
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:36 am

Re: Manager at Texas Whataburger denies service to detective because of his gun

#124

Post by OlBill » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:52 pm

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:58 am
Actually the term "civilian" can also be used to describe someone who is not part of a group. Like professional poker players might refer to casual tourists as "civilians". This might be more of a slang term, though. I'm not sure how this relates to the topic of this thread, though.
It sounds like a term of derision. Like a mark.


Soccerdad1995
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 12
Posts: 3485
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:03 pm

Re: Manager at Texas Whataburger denies service to detective because of his gun

#125

Post by Soccerdad1995 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:55 am

OlBill wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:52 pm
Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:58 am
Actually the term "civilian" can also be used to describe someone who is not part of a group. Like professional poker players might refer to casual tourists as "civilians". This might be more of a slang term, though. I'm not sure how this relates to the topic of this thread, though.
It sounds like a term of derision. Like a mark.
In the case I cited, it could be taken that way. It means someone who is not very good at the game, and who will play in a pretty straightforward manner. I'm not sure whether that would be considered a term of "derision" though. Personally, I think it is more derisive to say that someone is a habitual gambler. Saying that they are a tourist who is not a regular poker player is not an insult. It's just a statement of fact.

I think this falls under the "outsider" part of the definition that someone quoted above.
Ding dong, the witch is dead

User avatar

Pawpaw
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 6127
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:16 am
Location: Hunt County

Re: Manager at Texas Whataburger denies service to detective because of his gun

#126

Post by Pawpaw » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:22 pm

When I was in the military, it seemed pretty obvious. Anyone who didn't wear a military uniform was a civilian.

A local police officer was a "civilian cop".

It was also very common for someone who was getting ready to separate or retire to brag they were being "promoted to civilian".
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member

User avatar

oljames3
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1847
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:21 pm
Location: Elgin, Texas
Contact:

Re: Manager at Texas Whataburger denies service to detective because of his gun

#127

Post by oljames3 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:42 pm

Pawpaw wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:22 pm
When I was in the military, it seemed pretty obvious. Anyone who didn't wear a military uniform was a civilian.

A local police officer was a "civilian cop".

It was also very common for someone who was getting ready to separate or retire to brag they were being "promoted to civilian".
Yep. We often referred to a retiree as being promoted to PFC. :evil2:
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA Distinguished Life Member (Disabled Vet), TSRA, NAR L1

User avatar

Allons
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 6
Posts: 1092
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:03 pm
Location: San Antonio

Re: Manager at Texas Whataburger denies service to detective because of his gun

#128

Post by Allons » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:08 pm

oljames3 wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:42 pm
Pawpaw wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:22 pm
When I was in the military, it seemed pretty obvious. Anyone who didn't wear a military uniform was a civilian.

A local police officer was a "civilian cop".

It was also very common for someone who was getting ready to separate or retire to brag they were being "promoted to civilian".
Yep. We often referred to a retiree as being promoted to PFC. :evil2:
:iagree:
EDC'S: Dan Wesson CCO, CZ-P07, XDS-45 MOD 2, SCCY CPX-2 , MP Shield-45
Home Defense: Mossberg 930 SPX
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999
Image

User avatar

Pawpaw
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 6127
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:16 am
Location: Hunt County

Re: Manager at Texas Whataburger denies service to detective because of his gun

#129

Post by Pawpaw » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:53 pm

Allons wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:08 pm
oljames3 wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:42 pm
Pawpaw wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:22 pm
When I was in the military, it seemed pretty obvious. Anyone who didn't wear a military uniform was a civilian.

A local police officer was a "civilian cop".

It was also very common for someone who was getting ready to separate or retire to brag they were being "promoted to civilian".
Yep. We often referred to a retiree as being promoted to PFC. :evil2:
:iagree:
Believe it or not, we said the same thing in the Air Force. :lol:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member

User avatar

oljames3
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1847
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:21 pm
Location: Elgin, Texas
Contact:

Re: Manager at Texas Whataburger denies service to detective because of his gun

#130

Post by oljames3 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:25 pm

Pawpaw wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:53 pm
Allons wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:08 pm
oljames3 wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:42 pm
Pawpaw wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:22 pm
When I was in the military, it seemed pretty obvious. Anyone who didn't wear a military uniform was a civilian.

A local police officer was a "civilian cop".

It was also very common for someone who was getting ready to separate or retire to brag they were being "promoted to civilian".
Yep. We often referred to a retiree as being promoted to PFC. :evil2:
:iagree:
Believe it or not, we said the same thing in the Air Force. :lol:
Indeed. We can be an uncouth band of brothers. :patriot: :txflag:
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA Distinguished Life Member (Disabled Vet), TSRA, NAR L1


ninjabread
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 578
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:12 pm

Re: Manager at Texas Whataburger denies service to detective because of his gun

#131

Post by ninjabread » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:48 pm

OlBill wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:52 pm
Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:58 am
Actually the term "civilian" can also be used to describe someone who is not part of a group. Like professional poker players might refer to casual tourists as "civilians". This might be more of a slang term, though. I'm not sure how this relates to the topic of this thread, though.
It sounds like a term of derision. Like a mark.
Even if it's not an insult, it's a clear sign of 'us' versus 'them' mentality.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.


Bill O'Rights
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat May 03, 2014 4:18 pm

Re: Manager at Texas Whataburger denies service to detective because of his gun

#132

Post by Bill O'Rights » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:45 am

Based on their policy it doesn't sound like they're anti-cop so much as anti-gun because their policy prohibits you and me from open carrying too.

Post Reply

Return to “Never Again!!”