So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
gtolbert09
Posts in topic: 3

Manager at Texas Whataburger denies service to detective because of his gun

Post by gtolbert09 »

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/texas/2 ... ective-gun
plain-clothes detective walked into the restaurant on Parkwood Drive in Friendswood, about 20 miles southeast of Houston, on Thursday morning. His gun was holstered at his side, next to his badge.

When the manager wouldn't serve him, he said that he was a Friendswood police officer, the department told KTRK. But he left when that didn't sway the Whataburger employee.
The fast-food chain decided to prohibit open carrying of guns in its stores when Texas' open-carry law went into effect in 2016 — but carved out an exception for law-enforcement officers. (Whataburger still allows concealed carry.)
USAF 1983-1994
NRA LifeTime Member
TSRA Member

Abraham
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Manager at Texas Whataburger denies service to detective because of his gun

Post by Abraham »

Whataburger ought to make a big splash firing the manager.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 11

Post by mojo84 »

Whataburger said in a statement that it was reaching out to apologize to the detective about the "unfortunate misunderstanding" and that the company would work to retrain its employees on the open-carry policy.

"We want to make it clear that he and all law enforcement are welcome in our restaurants and we're proud to serve them," the statement said.

Whataburger has been praised in the past for taking quick action in similar situations. In October, the company fired an employee who cursed at two Denison officers and refused to serve them. Whataburger also fired a worker at a Lewisville restaurant who wouldn't serve a pair of officers in 2015.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Allons
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Allons »

Abraham wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:48 pm Whataburger ought to make a big splash firing the manager.
:iagree: The manager should know the policies.
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

Topic author
gtolbert09

Post by gtolbert09 »

Allons wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:21 pm
Abraham wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:48 pm Whataburger ought to make a big splash firing the manager.
Wonder why they choose to make a seen by calling out folks that OC instead of just posting 30.07 on all of their restaurants.
USAF 1983-1994
NRA LifeTime Member
TSRA Member

Allons

Post by Allons »

gtolbert09 wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:40 pm
Wonder why they choose to make a seen by calling out folks that OC instead of just posting 30.07 on all of their restaurants.
That would be to easy is guess.
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

GhostTX
Posts in topic: 1

Post by GhostTX »

They don't want to appear anti-gun...?
XD40 Service in Supertuck
"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

rotor

Post by rotor »

30.07 would not have stopped this LEO. Whataburger has a history of doing this and maybe they need to do a Starbucks "sensitivity" course. I personally don't care that much for Whataburger and will refrain from further purchases. May be a Texas chain but probably California money.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Liberty »

If they would toss me or any other citizen out for wearing a gun, why shouldn't they kick out gun-toting cops without a uniform? Cop can either cover it or leave it in the car, just like the rest of us. Seems like he is just looking for special treatment. We've known how so many of them get turned off about the "Do you know who I am?" defense. This time the shoe is on the other foot.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

rotor

Post by rotor »

Liberty wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:25 pm If they would toss me or any other citizen out for wearing a gun, why shouldn't they kick out gun-toting cops without a uniform? Cop can either cover it or leave it in the car, just like the rest of us. Seems like he is just looking for special treatment. We've known how so many of them get turned off about the "Do you know who I am?" defense. This time the shoe is on the other foot.
So because they don't respect our constitutional rights they should treat law enforcement just as poorly? I can see us having the same rights to carry as law enforcement and I don't think a LTC holder or LEO should be asked to leave especially when there is no posting. Dump Whataburger. If they don't want open carry they should post. This has been covered many times on this forum.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Special people get special rights.

Common people do not.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

Whataburger has a policy of no open carry, but concealed is fine. Just like HEB.
CHL 2002
NRA life member
TSRA Endowment member
TWA member

Steve W

Post by Steve W »

slowpoke wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:46 pm Whataburger has a policy of no open carry, but concealed is fine. Just like HEB.
I eat there at least once a week.... No signs up so how am I supposed to know their policies???

Allons

Post by Allons »

Steve W wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:54 pm
slowpoke wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:46 pm Whataburger has a policy of no open carry, but concealed is fine. Just like HEB.
I eat there at least once a week.... No signs up so how am I supposed to know their policies???
HEB at least where I live have 30.07 sign posted. I have never seen a sign at any Whataburger posted anywhere. I found out about that policy from this forum, would not have known otherwise.
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

mojo84
Posts in topic: 11

Post by mojo84 »

Steve W wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:54 pm
They will notify you if you are openly carrying.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Return to “Never Again!!”