Manager at Texas Whataburger denies service to detective because of his gun

So that others may learn.

Moderators: Keith B, Charles L. Cotton, carlson1


baseballguy2001
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 227
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Manager at Texas Whataburger denies service to detective because of his gun

#46

Post by baseballguy2001 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:53 am

The REAL question in my mind is, How did this make the news? Did the LEO call a friend in the media? Did the Manager call? Did the reporter witness the event? Thousands of people go in fast food joints all the time and it never makes news, but if a privileged LEO gets denied his Whataburger with cheese, well, that deserves some media attention. Maybe the manager is new or just not too bright and thought the policy meant ALL open carried weapons? Maybe the coverage is to try and purposely make Whataburger look bad? How did this make the news, and what's the purpose, that's what needs to be answered.
7.30.08 -- Plastic in hand (99 days)
04.01.18--2nd Renewal
05.05.18-- Plastic


Cacciato
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu May 18, 2017 2:22 pm

Re: Manager at Texas Whataburger denies service to detective because of his gun

#47

Post by Cacciato » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:02 pm

Loved the food and ate there weekly. It's been over two years since I've spent a dime at any Whataburger. I just can't bring myself to do it.

User avatar

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 17398
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Friendswood, TX
Contact:

Re: Manager at Texas Whataburger denies service to detective because of his gun

#48

Post by Charles L. Cotton » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:07 pm

baseballguy2001 wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:53 am
The REAL question in my mind is, How did this make the news? Did the LEO call a friend in the media? Did the Manager call? Did the reporter witness the event? Thousands of people go in fast food joints all the time and it never makes news, but if a privileged LEO gets denied his Whataburger with cheese, well, that deserves some media attention. Maybe the manager is new or just not too bright and thought the policy meant ALL open carried weapons? Maybe the coverage is to try and purposely make Whataburger look bad? How did this make the news, and what's the purpose, that's what needs to be answered.
It was on Facebook and apparently got picked up by the news. Who put it on Facebook initially is unknown. At least I don't know who posted it. It could well have been a customer.

As to whether it was newsworthy, it's at least as interesting and 90% of the garbage that makes the news these days.

Chas.
Image


NNT
Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:22 pm

Re: Manager at Texas Whataburger denies service to detective because of his gun

#49

Post by NNT » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:35 pm

Liberty wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:14 am
The cop didn't have to disarm all he had to do was cover it up. Just like us of the lower classes are required to do. What bothers me is that people for some reason this guy is entitled more than the rest of us.
I’m not a LEO but it’s seems logical if he has his badge on display he is representing himself as a LEO, and a gun and a badge are a matched set. Why would a uniform even come into the conversation? He does have special rights. He can arrest people, that’s a special right. Doesn’t make him royalty, but he should be able to carry the tools of his trade.


OlBill
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 8
Posts: 544
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:36 am

Re: Manager at Texas Whataburger denies service to detective because of his gun

#50

Post by OlBill » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:36 pm

NNT wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:35 pm
Liberty wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:14 am
The cop didn't have to disarm all he had to do was cover it up. Just like us of the lower classes are required to do. What bothers me is that people for some reason this guy is entitled more than the rest of us.
I’m not a LEO but it’s seems logical if he has his badge on display he is representing himself as a LEO, and a gun and a badge are a matched set. Why would a uniform even come into the conversation? He does have special rights. He can arrest people, that’s a special right. Doesn’t make him royalty, but he should be able to carry the tools of his trade.
It's not a right. It's a delegated authority.


NNT
Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:22 pm

Re: Manager at Texas Whataburger denies service to detective because of his gun

#51

Post by NNT » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:05 pm

OlBill wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:36 pm
NNT wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:35 pm
Liberty wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:14 am
The cop didn't have to disarm all he had to do was cover it up. Just like us of the lower classes are required to do. What bothers me is that people for some reason this guy is entitled more than the rest of us.
I’m not a LEO but it’s seems logical if he has his badge on display he is representing himself as a LEO, and a gun and a badge are a matched set. Why would a uniform even come into the conversation? He does have special rights. He can arrest people, that’s a special right. Doesn’t make him royalty, but he should be able to carry the tools of his trade.
It's not a right. It's a delegated authority.
What’s the difference.? All “rights” are delegated from somewhere/someone. Constitution, God, nature, HOA, My boss...bottom line he has the authority. Symantics.

User avatar

carlson1
Moderator
Posts in topic: 7
Posts: 9937
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:11 am

Re: Manager at Texas Whataburger denies service to detective because of his gun

#52

Post by carlson1 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:08 pm

NNT wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:05 pm
OlBill wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:36 pm
NNT wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:35 pm
Liberty wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:14 am
The cop didn't have to disarm all he had to do was cover it up. Just like us of the lower classes are required to do. What bothers me is that people for some reason this guy is entitled more than the rest of us.
I’m not a LEO but it’s seems logical if he has his badge on display he is representing himself as a LEO, and a gun and a badge are a matched set. Why would a uniform even come into the conversation? He does have special rights. He can arrest people, that’s a special right. Doesn’t make him royalty, but he should be able to carry the tools of his trade.
It's not a right. It's a delegated authority.
What’s the difference.? All “rights” are delegated from somewhere/someone. Constitution, God, nature, HOA, My boss...bottom line he has the authority. Symantics.
:iagree: And for all of those that like to OC and not cover up if you want the authority so you can even carry in Whataburger then do the Police Academy.

If Whataburger likes the policy that NO one can OC (including Police) then do not call 911 when you need help. It will be plain clothes detectives that take pictures of the dead bodies.
Image

User avatar

Oldgringo
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 10851
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Pineywoods of east Texas

Re: Manager at Texas Whataburger denies service to detective because of his gun

#53

Post by Oldgringo » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:01 pm

There are much better burgers than Squataburger; e.g., Legends in Jacksonille, or Hardee's and Carl Jr''s wherever you can find 'em. Did I mention Hardee's or Carl Jr.'s sausage biscuits in the AM?

User avatar

carlson1
Moderator
Posts in topic: 7
Posts: 9937
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:11 am

Re: Manager at Texas Whataburger denies service to detective because of his gun

#54

Post by carlson1 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:10 pm

Oldgringo wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:01 pm
There are much better burgers than Squataburger; e.g., Legends in Jacksonille, or Hardee's and Carl Jr''s wherever you can find 'em. Did I mention Hardee's or Carl Jr.'s sausage biscuits in the AM?
Sounds good to me. :cheers2:

Maybe one of their Monster Biscuits.
Image


srothstein
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 4112
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: Luling, TX

Re: Manager at Texas Whataburger denies service to detective because of his gun

#55

Post by srothstein » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:13 pm

Allons wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:59 pm
HEB at least where I live have 30.07 sign posted. I have never seen a sign at any Whataburger posted anywhere. I found out about that policy from this forum, would not have known otherwise.
I agree that Whataburger should post like H.E.B. does. I remember when they announced their policy as telling people they would not be allowed to carry and it made no sense to me. The only possibility I came up with is that the announcement was made to quiet down anti-gunners and they planned to let it go without enforcement and just dying out quietly. The problem is this is not the first time Whataburger has had this exact same problem and reiterated their policy.

Post it or drop it would be my advice/request.
Steve Rothstein

User avatar

mojo84
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 11
Posts: 8947
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:07 pm
Location: Boerne, TX (Kendall County)

Re: Manager at Texas Whataburger denies service to detective because of his gun

#56

Post by mojo84 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:45 am

I doubt posting a 30.07 would have helped in this situation. I suspect the cop would not have thought the sign applied to him and the manager may have still refused him service upon seeing his gun.

While I would prefer signs be posted, no more often than open carriers are actually encountered in public, I can understand a company or church deciding to just address it individually if and when it comes up rather than putting up the big signs at each entrance.

User avatar

oohrah
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1045
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 5:54 pm
Location: McLennan County

Re: Manager at Texas Whataburger denies service to detective because of his gun

#57

Post by oohrah » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:26 am

In fact, 30.07 does NOT apply to Law Enforcement. It only applies to persons carrying under LTC.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

User avatar

mojo84
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 11
Posts: 8947
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:07 pm
Location: Boerne, TX (Kendall County)

Re: Manager at Texas Whataburger denies service to detective because of his gun

#58

Post by mojo84 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:51 am

oohrah wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:26 am
In fact, 30.07 does NOT apply to Law Enforcement. It only applies to persons carrying under LTC.
That's why I said the cop wouldn't have thought the sign applied to him and it would not have helped in this situation.

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 24729
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: Manager at Texas Whataburger denies service to detective because of his gun

#59

Post by The Annoyed Man » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:17 am

mojo84 wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:51 am
oohrah wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:26 am
In fact, 30.07 does NOT apply to Law Enforcement. It only applies to persons carrying under LTC.
That's why I said the cop wouldn't have thought the sign applied to him and it would not have helped in this situation.
Correct, and just to be clear, my position that they should post signage was not aimed at this particular incident with a LEO, but rather was aimed generally at Whataburger’s refusal to post 30.07 signs while still insisting on their property right to bar open carry from their stores. As long as they (A) take that position, and (B) refuse to post the signs, they are (C) NOT doing the right thing.

I absolutely agree with the proposition that it is their property, and therefore their right to keep open carry out of their stores. That’s not the issue for me. The issue is their refusal to acknoledge that they have some kind of moral obligation to give their paying customers the only kind of proper notice recognized by the law BEFORE that customer sets foot inside the store. That refusal has several negative outcomes for everyone concerned:
  1. It places an employee in the position of having to confront an armed person about their weapon.
  2. It’s embarrassing to the person who is armed - who may, after all, not be dressed in a manner where they can simply cover it up.
  3. It creates controversy in the form of bad publicity for the gun rights crowd, and good publicity for the MAIG/MDA crowd.
Thus, it shows a profound disrespect for a segment of their customer base, and a casual disregard for their employees’ safety. Frankly, it comes off as their being afraid to face the music, and it’s a turn off. Don’t want open carry? Post the darn signs. What could be more simple than that?
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy

User avatar

Diesel42
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 278
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:08 am
Location: Fort Worth

Re: Manager at Texas Whataburger denies service to detective because of his gun

#60

Post by Diesel42 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:56 am

With respect I disagree with you TAM.

Regardless of the business, I agree with the position Whataburger has taken. The operator of the store will verbally inform someone with OC that they must leave. That verbal restriction is permanent. If anyone believes their authority is greater than the business owner, then they need to take legal action to shut down the business or find someplace else to eat.

I do not believe I have to delegate the rules of my home or business to a sign. My experience with Whataburger goes back many years. I seldom see degreed people in there. Most patrons are middle class or below. Some of the folks I've seen are one step above homeless. in fact, myself and some of the regulars have paid for folks food that were there to shelter from the heat. A food service business can not discriminate against an unclean person. They can run off folks without clothing or shoes.

Finally, as a trained LTC citizen, it is my responsibility to remain calm, and ignore folks around me that show up to create drama. That's why I don't challenge businesses or instruct people about what I can or can't do. Thanks for reading my 2 cents.
Happy Trails!
Nick
Nick Stone
Have Truck, Will Travel
NRA Life Member

Post Reply

Return to “Never Again!!”