Incident with aggressor after facebook post.

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 2
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Re: Incident with aggressor after facebook post.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

OP: Your account is interesting. Thank you for the opportunity for all of us to
Monday morning quarterback your situation.

Here's something I noticed from your account: You did have a gun on you when you
went outside. That's good.

But when you spoke with the BG, you were close enough to converse with him through
his open truck window, which means you were pretty close to him.

Should he have raised up a gun and fired through his open window, did you have ANY
cover available to you?

Close enough to speak with someone is close enough for that someone to throw some
lead your way.

Please follow up with the law. Sometimes BG's may back off if they know the law is
aware of their anti-social behavior.

Make sure you and the bride carry your guns on you.

******************************************************************************************************

By the way, given your "big454" screen name I assume that you are referring to the Chevy 454
cubic inch big block V8.

FYI: If you are not familiar with the song "455 Rocket", go to Youtube and watch the video.
It's done by that cutie Kathy Mattea (sp?), who sings the praises of the 455 Rocket V8
Oldsmobile that she had.

She states "biggest block alive" or somesuch. However, as far as American V8's go, I
believe that Cadillacs were available with 502's, which would be bigger than a 455.

Trivia fact: 1 Liter = 61.2 cubic inches.
So, today's common 2.0 liter engines only displace 122 cubic inches.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Topic author
big454
Posts in topic: 6

Post by big454 »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:13 pm OP: Your account is interesting. Thank you for the opportunity for all of us to

Here's something I noticed from your account: You did have a gun on you when you

But when you spoke with the BG, you were close enough to converse with him through

Should he have raised up a gun and fired through his open window, did you have ANY
cover available to you?

Close enough to speak with someone is close enough for that someone to throw some
lead your way.

Please follow up with the law. Sometimes BG's may back off if they know the law is

******************************************************************************************************

By the way, given your "big454" screen name I assume that you are referring to the Chevy 454
cubic inch big block V8.

FYI: If you are not familiar with the song "455 Rocket", go to Youtube and watch the video.
It's done by that cutie Kathy Mattea (sp?), who sings the praises of the 455 Rocket V8
Oldsmobile that she had.

She states "biggest block alive" or somesuch. However, as far as American V8's go, I
believe that Cadillacs were available with 502's, which would be bigger than a 455.

SIA
Yes, I am a big fan of the chevy big block. I had a 86 camaro with a 496 . That would be a 454 stroked and bored to a 496. I traded that camaro for a 74 stingray that had been swapped with a fuel injected ls1. Then I got rid of that corvette and am sorry I did. But now the trend is going with the ls type motors as they have a lot of potential.
Ignorance is rampant in this part of Texas. I managed to shake it off and I am a firm believer of 2nd Amendment rights

montgomery

Post by montgomery »

big454 wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:36 am I would have displayed my weapon in a defensive manner to warn him to keep back.
Then what?

Topic author
big454
Posts in topic: 6

Post by big454 »

montgomery wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:41 pm
big454 wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:36 am I would have displayed my weapon in a defensive manner to warn him to keep back.
Then what?
If I had a crystal ball I would answer that. But it would totally depend on the aggressor. I thank God he came to his senses and left . :txflag:
Ignorance is rampant in this part of Texas. I managed to shake it off and I am a firm believer of 2nd Amendment rights

montgomery

Post by montgomery »

big454 wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:44 pm
Then what?
If I had a crystal ball I would answer that. But it would totally depend on the aggressor. I thank God he came to his senses and left . :txflag:
Drawing with the expectation that the OP will retreat and no intention to shoot may prove to be fatal. I lost count of the number of time I have read that tactic here - having carried daily for 31 years and been in more than my fair share of gunfights, I do believe mere presentation will lead to more problems than it solves.

For example: let's presume a jury would agree the OP was the aggressor all the way up to the point where the GGWAG draws their handgun when there is no obvious weapon or situation that poses an immediate and imminent threat of bodily harm. At this point the GGWAG becomes the aggressor and one of two actions happen next: the OP either does not stand their ground and retreats or draws (they have not drawn on you already from inside the vehicle at a low ready) their firearm and shoots you through the door or window in justified self defense.

Just my two cents - maybe it helps someone, maybe it don't. Glad you are safe nonetheless brother.

:txflag:

WildRose
Posts in topic: 4

Post by WildRose »

big454 wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:36 am Ok, I just want to see what you guys and gals have to say about this incident that happened about 2 weeks ago. I know I kind of dropped the ball by not reporting it to the police but I think I was good in the way I actually handled the guy that was being the aggressor. I posted in a local facebook page about certain issues that involved people within our small community . These people had been arrested in a different town because they apparently had been burglarizing vehicles and were caught . I let our community know about this. Well, all of a sudden a guy started posting about me needing to be careful what I post because I could end up getting hurt. I took it lightly at first but then he stated that he was headed towards my home , he knew where I lived as this is a small town. I had some of my tools and equipment outside so I went outside . Still not believing he really is going to show up I stated to him how dumb he was to actually make threats on social media. Then I see this guy in a dark blue maybe black truck on the side street on a stop . He just let his truck idle there . He had his passenger window lowered and I asked him if he needed something. He did not answer but started making threats on that facebook page. I stated back to him , if you come unto my property I will do what I need to do to stop the threat. Eventually he drove off but kept on making threats. I started thinking , if he had actually gotten off the truck and come towards my property . I would have displayed my weapon in a defensive manner to warn him to keep back. He had stated already on social media that he had a "defender" with him. Then for sure I would have called 911 . But I kind of felt that because he drove off without getting off the situation kind of diffused itself . But I am thinking I should probably make a report anyway to be on the safe side. What say you about this incident?
You absolutely need to file a police report and start a paper trail. This guy needs to have his attitude adjusted by the boys and girls in blue.
NRA Life Member NRA Certified Instructor RSO, CRSO,
USCCA Certified Instructor
TX LTC licensed Instructor Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.
Without The First and Second Amendments the rest are meaningless.

WildRose

Post by WildRose »

montgomery wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:27 am
big454 wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:44 pm
Then what?
Drawing with the expectation that the OP will retreat and no intention to shoot may prove to be fatal. I lost count of the number of time I have read that tactic here - having carried daily for 31 years and been in more than my fair share of gunfights, I do believe mere presentation will lead to more problems than it solves.

For example: let's presume a jury would agree the OP was the aggressor all the way up to the point where the GGWAG draws their handgun when there is no obvious weapon or situation that poses an immediate and imminent threat of bodily harm. At this point the GGWAG becomes the aggressor and one of two actions happen next: the OP either does not stand their ground and retreats or draws (they have not drawn on you already from inside the vehicle at a low ready) their firearm and shoots you through the door or window in justified self defense.

Just my two cents - maybe it helps someone, maybe it don't. Glad you are safe nonetheless brother.

:txflag:
Good read on the situation.

Without being able to clearly demonstrate "Imminentness" of the threat of grave bodily harm or death there is no lawful use of deadly force including brandishing a weapon.
TX LTC licensed Instructor Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:13 pm She states "biggest block alive" or somesuch. However, as far as American V8's go, I

SIA
My inlaws had one of those Caddy's before I ever met my wife. They talked fondly of it and said it was a beast for sure.

Regarding some fun trivia on engine size: my motorcycle is ~1800cc and one of our cars is 1.8 liters. My daughter was a little shocked when I pointed that out to her. And then even more when I pointed out that a 2 liter bottle of soda is larger. :shock:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

TomS
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TomS »

I say get some cameras, low life’s like this will slither in the darkness to slash your tires or perform other cowardly acts of crime.

WildRose

Post by WildRose »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:13 pm OP: Your account is interesting. Thank you for the opportunity for all of us to

cover available to you?

lead your way.

cubic inch big block V8.

Oldsmobile that she had.

SIA
Ford had a 534 big block for a few years, international made one that was close to the same size. They were only available in 1 ton and larger trucks.

WildRose

Post by WildRose »

C-dub wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:42 am
surprise_i'm_armed wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:13 pm She states "biggest block alive" or somesuch. However, as far as American V8's go, I

SIA
My inlaws had one of those Caddy's before I ever met my wife. They talked fondly of it and said it was a beast for sure.

Regarding some fun trivia on engine size: my motorcycle is ~1800cc and one of our cars is 1.8 liters. My daughter was a little shocked when I pointed that out to her. And then even more when I pointed out that a 2 liter bottle of soda is larger. :shock:
The 455 Old's was a monster to. We had one in a Tornada and one in a family Station wagon.

Chevy's vortec engine is actually a 496, second largest ever produced for regular passenger vehicles next to that old 500 caddy.

Winston

Post by Winston »

I agree with the other replies and think you should definitely report him. Anyone that's dumb enough to threaten someone over social media and show up where you live is most likely a crazy person and you can't assume they're not capable of actually doing anything. I say this from experience. When I was younger and social media started becoming popular I also had many arguments and fights over social media. Usually with females for some reason. lol This one girl I knew started threatening me and I chose not to report it at the time. Sure enough I had to report it after she came over to my house in the middle of the night and vandalized my car. :lol: By that time it was too late and I had to replace my vehicles windshield because she decided to throw a brick at it. Of course I had proof she was the crazy girl that did it but it didn't prevent me from having to pay for a new windshield. I'm pretty sure if I did report her then that probably wouldn't have happened since a visit from a local police officer would have made her think twice about coming to my house. I guess it was either my pride, ego, or the fact that I didn't think she would do anything which is what prevented me from reporting her. I was wrong!

She also got away with it because what she said over social media wasn't enough evidence to get her arrested. The only thing I was able to say after that was she throws like a girl since I knew she did it and the brick didn't go threw my window. It only damaged it enough that I still needed to replace it. Also got some scratches on the hood because of the brick landing on it. I also found out later from someone that she actually threw it 3 times. lol With that said I tend not to get into arguments over social media anymore and not insult people whether I think they deserve it or not. I probably did deserve it from some of the things I said to her but at the same time she started the whole argument. This chick was obviously crazy and unhinged! So my advice is don't take a chance and just report the guy before he comes back and does something. Even if you report him there might still be a possibility he'll come back and try something. I hope you have security cameras at your home because usually people who talk like that have something wrong with them. I recently bought security cameras for my place but have been to lazy to install them. If I were you I'd sleep with a rifle next to the bed. Be safe out there!
“The universe is hostile. So interpersonal. Devour to survive. So it is. So it’s always been.”

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

Liberty wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:36 am This is why I don't use my real name on social media.
my social media accounts are set to private. unless you're friends with me you cant see any info about me and I only add people i know in real life. all you get is my name and my profile pictures arent of me. as for local facebook pages i make it a habit to not post on them. I will share info on my own accounts and pages so that my friends can see whats going on. I live outside city limits in the boonies with security cameras set up, no trespassing signs posted, and I'm well armed. If someone has beef and wants to play like they're a thug, I would advise them to rethink their decision for their own safety. I had a close encounter the other night. it was 1:57AM and a car pulled up into the driveway. that doesn't happen a lot because we live out in the middle of nowhere and we have a LONG driveway and if someone is lost usually they'll just pull in turn around at the road and leave. this car pulled allll the way up into our driveway. luckily I was awake and as soon as i saw our motion sensor flood lights kick on and saw the car on the security cameras I grabbed my shot gun and waited to see what they did. they pulled all the way up our driveway, pulled into one of the parking areas, turned around and left. since then I've been a bit on high alert cause there's only really two scenarios that i can think of.
A. someone was lost/drunk and thought they had the right address/house.
B. they were scoping out the place to see if they wanted to rob it and decided to bail when the flood lights kicked on.
Either way, it's VERY rare that we get people who drive all the way up our driveway just to turn around and leave so I definitely added to my list of weird encounters. I took the security camera footage and saved it to a thumb drive just in case something in the future happens. you can see the shape of the car and kind of make out the faces in the car. it looked like there were 4 people in the car. it was a 4 door sedan. very blocky shaped like a ford cube (or whatever theyre called). I don't take kindly to people driving up onto my property unannounced. especially at 2AM...
NRA Member

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

grundy1133:
With such a long driveway and the LEO's quite a ways from you, responsetime-wise,
it seems a nice addition to your property would be a driveway gate which you could
close and lock at night.

I know people in rural Texas who have long driveways, and gates that they
close whenever they are home for the night. Sure, it all costs some money,
but a good gate can negate the use of your shotgun. :-)

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

Prayers Sent :tiphat:
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

Return to “Never Again!!”