Parker County Deputy Shot in Foot

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 1
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Re: Parker County Deputy Shot in Foot

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

IIRC, the Parker County SO Chief stated that "this is a known problem with that model of gun, which I will not disclose."

Well, if that is so, why was the LEO using it as a BUG?

Monday morning QB : next time tuck your BUG into your vest.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jusme »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:14 am IIRC, the Parker County SO Chief stated that "this is a known problem with that model of gun, which I will not disclose."

Well, if that is so, why was the LEO using it as a BUG?

Monday morning QB : next time tuck your BUG into your vest.

SIA
With all due respect, most Sheriffs, are not gun experts. Very often, they only rely on information from others. If such a gun existed, that had a history, of ND, simply by being carried, near the ankle, I'm sure there would be numerous reports, and manufacturing recalls. I don't know what happened, but, it sounds like, as others, have stated, that the holster, was not of rigid, construction, and in the process, of sneaking up, on a deer blind, in the dark, a tree branch, or other object, came in contact with the trigger, causing it to fire. Simply putting a foot down,
into some brush, generates, more than enough, weight, to pull even heavy triggers. As a LEO, I carried, a Taurus model 85, in an ankle holsters, but, it was a leather holster, which completely covered the trigger. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

ELB

Post by ELB »

Quote from the article linked in the OP:
As far as [Sheriff] Fowler is now concerned, the case is closed.
??
USAF 1982-2005

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

As I recall, it was either the P320 or the P365 that had failed drop tests soon after it’s release - and there was a big stink about it in the gun world. Maybe he had one of those, and he banged the back of the slide into a post or something as he was climbing through the fence? Who knows.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Liberty
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Liberty »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:44 am As I recall, it was either the P320 or the P365 that had failed drop tests soon after it’s release - and there was a big stink about it in the gun world. Maybe he had one of those, and he banged the back of the slide into a post or something as he was climbing through the fence? Who knows.
I will put money on it the holster was a piece of cap and had poor retention, that the gun was a striker fired with no mechanical safety.

This could be a candidate for a new medical condition called Glock foot.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

cirus

Post by cirus »

And I'm supposed to trust my life and rely on law enforcement? "rlol"

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:14 am IIRC, the Parker County SO Chief stated that "this is a known problem with that model of gun, which I will not disclose."
wait so the chief claims to know of a firearm that could be potentially unintentionally dangerous to the citizens he is sworn to protect and serve but he refuses to tell those citizens what the weapon is?

Hmm, Were I a citizen in his county that he was supposed to be protecting, a voting member of that community Im pretty sure Id take issue with his position, immediately for sure, next election cycle no doubt...and my fellow citizens would be reminded of his failure to consider their safety often and loudly.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Excaliber »

Abraham wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:13 am Glock is not the sole firearm with no button type safety. Just press the trigger and it goes boom if you have a round chambered. There are many similar models and also can be fired with a round in the chamber with the magazine out.

2 examples of similar type actions to a Glock: Smith & Wesson SD9VE and Ruger LC9S and others - no button or lever - both 9mm.

So, could the 'banned by the department firearm' be a Glock? Sure, but as I pointed out, there are many other models on the market with precisely the same actions...

Almost every revolver out there also meets the no manual safety criterion.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Excaliber wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:36 am
Abraham wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:13 am Glock is not the sole firearm with no button type safety. Just press the trigger and it goes boom if you have a round chambered. There are many similar models and also can be fired with a round in the chamber with the magazine out.

2 examples of similar type actions to a Glock: Smith & Wesson SD9VE and Ruger LC9S and others - no button or lever - both 9mm.

So, could the 'banned by the department firearm' be a Glock? Sure, but as I pointed out, there are many other models on the market with precisely the same actions...

Almost every revolver out there also meets the no manual safety criterion.
Holster selection with a striker fired weapon is a more critical consideration than with a traditional hammer fired weapon. I am making a guess what happened from my observation of the video and the sheriff's statements.

Modern handguns don't just go off by themselves. There are a few when subjected to a shock or drop that could cause an accidental firing, but the deputy didn't look like he fell or ran into anything that would cause such a shock. He was running through brush, wearing an ankle holster. The only thing that makes sense is that something activated the trigger while he was running. The only thing I can think of is that the pistol rose up in his holster, a twig or branch got under his trigger guard and caused the shoot. This simply could not happen with a more traditional DA/SA equipped with a manual safety or 1911 based weapon. It would be very unlikely to happen to a properly holstered retained strike fired weapon either.

The sheriff might be trying to protect his deputy, by blaming a rash of Glockleg as a gun failure. I just can't see this incident as anything but a holster failure, that is associated with the type of weapon being carried.
Last edited by Liberty on Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Deleted stupid double post.
Last edited by Liberty on Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Liberty''s Blog

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Gator Guy wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:59 am
Deputy Turner also said the gunman took off as he crawled back to his cruiser to call for help.
IANAL but it seems like a false statement about a shooting would taint any testimony the deputy ever gave in court, as well as any affidavits he signed to support search warrants.

There’s no word on if Deputy Turner, who has been with the department for two years, will face disciplinary action.
He should be fired. If not, it calls into question the honesty and integrity of the Sheriff and his entire department.
Was thinking on this and I suppose, its possible, in the heat of the moment...and it being I assume a small caliber weapon (low recoil) with Adrenalin already pumping, movement though brush, over fences, branches & grass pulling on, poking, dragging on feet and legs its possible he did not understand or process the "shot" came from his own gun in an ankle holster. The shot sounded muffled and could have been hard to perceive where it came from.

All just possibilities of course.. but I can say for certain.... in a some what similar situations (stress, unknowns, looking for bad guys , physical exertion)... processing and understanding where that first shot came from is often disorientating and difficult to pinpoint. Im not guessing or theorizing, its practical experience I make that statement from.
Couple that with his likely assumption the shot came from "the bad guy" and his focus is outward, trying to ID the shooter..the thought his foot was shot from his own BUG likely a very distant consideration.

Just food for thought, nothing would excuse lying on a report , but I can see a way to an inaccurate initial report.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas

Gator Guy

Post by Gator Guy »

Liberty wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:32 amI just can't see this incident as anything but a holster failure, that is associated with the type of weapon being carried.
Unless the holster failed mechanically by falling apart, a holster failure that allows access to the trigger is ultimately human error by the person who chose to carry that particular gun in that particular holster.
"A wise and frugal government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned."

Topic author
carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

E.Marquez wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:58 am
wait so the chief claims to know of a firearm that could be potentially unintentionally dangerous to the citizens he is sworn to protect and serve but he refuses to tell those citizens what the weapon is?

Hmm, Were I a citizen in his county that he was supposed to be protecting, a voting member of that community Im pretty sure Id take issue with his position, immediately for sure, next election cycle no doubt...and my fellow citizens would be reminded of his failure to consider their safety often and loudly.

This is the problem I have. When the Sig 320 failed at DPD they said something. It would be. Ice to know if the Glock 42 or the Ruger LCP that my wife carries from time to time.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Gator Guy wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:58 am
Liberty wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:32 amI just can't see this incident as anything but a holster failure, that is associated with the type of weapon being carried.
Unless the holster failed mechanically by falling apart, a holster failure that allows access to the trigger is ultimately human error by the person who chose to carry that particular gun in that particular holster.
You are correct of course. I was contrasting the failure to a firearm failure, I don't believe that this incident was a result of a firearm failure. It looks to me that the sheriff is attempting to deflect the blame from the deputy.
Liberty''s Blog

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

The SO office has updated their FB page to say the deputy DID NOT shoot himself, they claim there was no ND. It was a weapons malfunction.
The Parker County Sheriff’s Office wishes to clarify some misinformation which has been circulating social media and several news outlets.
The injured deputy DID NOT shoot himself.
Please refer to the previously distributed press release below:

PRESS RELEASE

Parker County Sheriff’s Investigators have conducted an extensive investigation regarding the deputy who suffered a gunshot wound earlier this week.
Investigators now believe the gunshot wound was caused by a secured backup weapon.
“This investigation has led us down several avenues,” Parker County Sheriff Larry Fowler said. “This incident was not an accidental discharge. It was a weapons malfunction from a concealed backup weapon which was secured and holstered on his person.”
Sheriff Fowler added the weapon will be sent to the Texas Department of Public Safety Crime Laboratory for ballistics and weapons functionality testing.
Sheriff Fowler said he would like to thank Fort Worth Police for their assistance in the investigation of this case, which located the bullet this morning at the scene.
The case is still currently under investigation.
So this further supports my displeasure with a Sheriff who is claiming a "faulty gun just went off" But is unwilling to name the gun make and model.. Perhaps because the manufacturer would bury him in legal action for making such a claim without factual support...

Return to “Never Again!!”