Student evicted for having a gun

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
2farnorth
Posts in topic: 1

Student evicted for having a gun

Post by 2farnorth »

A Harvard student is being evicted after her apartment mates (illegally) searched her room and found her gun. Why? Because she's from Alabama and has a MAGA hat.
"They felt uncomfortable with a gun in the apartment" :mad5 :mad5 :mad5

https://www.foxnews.com/us/harvard-g...-uncomfortable
N5PNZ

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Student evicted for having a gun

Post by Tex1961 »

Yea, read that this morning and was pretty irritated about it.... Just ranting here but I want to start carrying OWB just to irritate the native snowflakes....

Texas Born
Texas Proud
Texas Certified
and ARMED....

and if you're uncomfortable with any of those you are welcome to leave and don't let the West Texas wind hit you in the rear on the way out....

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

Tex1961 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:25 am Yea, read that this morning and was pretty irritated about it.... Just ranting here but I want to start carrying OWB just to irritate the native snowflakes....

Texas Born
Texas Proud
Texas Certified
and ARMED....

and if you're uncomfortable with any of those you are welcome to leave and don't let the West Texas wind hit you in the rear on the way out....
Lol, I've been irritating them for two years now!
And my latest addition to my comments is when I see somebody with a nose piercing, I tell my wife " oh look somebody has been rooting under the fence" typically loud enough for the fence rooter to hear me!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

I suggest she just stay there and put a better lock on her door. And when anyone asks her why she is locking it, tell them it is to protect her privacy from them.

Until the apartment complex actually evicts her, of course. Then sue them for contract violation for the eviction unless there is a no gun clause in the lease. She hasn't broken the lease, so the complex is wrong.

Also, based on Texas leases, it may be wrong to threaten her with charging more for the rent if others move out. My daughter was a college student and leased a part of an apartment once. The complex found other roommates for the other rooms. She owed nothing but her rent if the complex did not fill up the other rooms. Of course, if she was the one who found the roommates an they arranged to rent the apartment together, this is possible. In that case, each of the four jointly signed a lease for the whole apartment. The complex did not care which one paid the rent or how they split it, as long as they got the whole rent. If this is the student's case, she needs new friends.
Steve Rothstein

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 3

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

That is one high dollar apartment.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

Tex1961 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:25 am Yea, read that this morning and was pretty irritated about it.... Just ranting here but I want to start carrying OWB just to irritate the native snowflakes....

Texas Born
Texas Proud
Texas Certified
and ARMED....

That would be entirely the WRONG reason for OWB. That is the kind of behavior that the left wants to point out as common thinking of gun owners and that aint good at all.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

twomillenium wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:32 pm

Texas Born
Texas Proud
Texas Certified
and ARMED....

That would be entirely the WRONG reason for OWB. That is the kind of behavior that the left wants to point out as common thinking of gun owners and that aint good at all.
Big sigh . . . It was sarcasm.
But you are right and I would never carry owb for that reason.

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

Devil's advocate here. If her roommates found the guns, someone breaking into the apartment could have found them, too.

I've read a couple of accounts of this story but none of them mention what kind of guns. I assume them to be pistols. At a minimum, in a shared space, a fire-proof document box locked when she wasn't in the apartment would have prevented this problem. I think the guidelines for safe storage should be different in any kind of shared environment. Even in my house, which we don't share with anyone, my pistol safe is bolted to a shelf and locked when we are not there. You might guess what is in the safe by its shape but there would have been no "proof" as described in the Breitbart version of the story.

I get it. Her personal space was wrongly invaded. That happened to me in college all of the time. Stuff disappeared. It was impossible to lock up everything. Its one thing when that is a favorite sweatshirt and another when it is a firearm.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

Tex1961 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:57 pm
twomillenium wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:32 pm

Texas Born
Texas Proud
Texas Certified
and ARMED....

Big sigh . . . It was sarcasm.
But you are right and I would never carry owb for that reason.
I was pretty sure it was sarcasm, but remember the libtards read this forum just to take things we type out of context.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

That what happens when you go up North of the Mason Dixon Line!
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I don’t even leave unsecured weapons in my house when I’m not home, and I own the place. For sure, if I had roommates in a rented dwelling, I would NOT leave guns unsecured - even if I knew my roommates to be open-minded about it. The potential liability for someone else misusing one of my guns, even if they were just fooling around with it, is just too high to ignore. Not to mention, what if my roommate actually committed a crime with my gun?

It is wrong that she is being evicted over it, but maybe in her next apartment she’ll take steps to secure the firearm when she’s not home, if she can’t bring it with her when she leaves. That would have seemed to be a no-brainer to me, but you know..... YOOTS, what are you gonna do with ‘em?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:39 am I don’t even leave unsecured weapons in my house when I’m not home, and I own the place. For sure, if I had roommates in a rented dwelling, I would NOT leave guns unsecured - even if I knew my roommates to be open-minded about it. The potential liability for someone else misusing one of my guns, even if they were just fooling around with it, is just too high to ignore. Not to mention, what if my roommate actually committed a crime with my gun?
Another concern of unsecured weapons when not at home is the possibility of arming an intruder. It would be a very sobering moment to walk in on a break in and having a BG standing there with one of my guns pointed at me.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:52 am
The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:39 am I don’t even leave unsecured weapons in my house when I’m not home, and I own the place. For sure, if I had roommates in a rented dwelling, I would NOT leave guns unsecured - even if I knew my roommates to be open-minded about it. The potential liability for someone else misusing one of my guns, even if they were just fooling around with it, is just too high to ignore. Not to mention, what if my roommate actually committed a crime with my gun?
Another concern of unsecured weapons when not at home is the possibility of arming an intruder. It would be a very sobering moment to walk in on a break in and having a BG standing there with one of my guns pointed at me.
Absolutely....which is another reason why I never leave without making sure that my safes are locked. I was just pointing out the absurdity of leaving guns accessible to roommates, and why I think that the young lady who is being evicted is partly responsible for creating the situation. A simple lock box would have fixed the problem... AND given her grounds for swearing out a criminal complaint against the roommates if they even tried to break it open.

Edited to add ... I am NOT trying to “blame the victim”. But she did show a certain lack of caution - which had she had some, might well have averted the problem EVEN WITH idiot roommates.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

rotor

Post by rotor »

For what it's worth, being asked to move out does not mean evicted. Perhaps if the student refuses to move she will be evicted. This is where you need an attorney to review the lease as she may not meed to move. Her snowflake "friends" may elect to move.

My brother was just here from California. We were at a quick food place and a guy with a knife in a leather sheath and his female companion got on line for food too. My brother was shocked. "He would be arrested in California". The guy just looked like a normal guy to me and I didn't even notice anything and had no reaction. It wasn't a machete, just a standard knife in a sheath. So my brother is a snowflake too. I love you brother but don't move to Texas.

bigtek
Banned

Post by bigtek »

Lewis then contacted police to ensure the firearms were legal. Police agreed to do so and found that the guns were in compliance with Massachusetts laws.
Among other things, I think this means the firearms were stored in a manner that complies with Massachusetts law.

https://goal.org/storage-and-transporta ... achusetts/
Deck the halls with nitroglycerin
Fa la la la la la la la la!
Strike a match and see who's missin'
Fa la la la la la la la la!

Return to “Never Again!!”