IN: Lafayette PD officer accidently shoots another officer

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 1

IN: Lafayette PD officer accidently shoots another officer

Post by ELB »

Been watching this play out on Indiana news for a couple days. Body cam footage has now been released. Wounded officer is alive, but keep hearing conflicting accounts about her condition.

Article:
https://defensemaven.io/bluelivesmatter ... SwBkWTthcI

Video:

Keep in mind, the bodycam vid you see below is from an officer who did NOT discharge his gun. There are three officers, the one whose camera provided the video below, the female officer in the video, and one off screen behind the door.

The three officers were searching a house with permission of occupant to verify a wanted person was not there. Occupant had a large dog which she put in a cage in the living room, then officers searched. Dog got out of the cage and the officers ran out of the house. That's when the female officer was shot.

USAF 1982-2005

carlson1

Re: IN: Lafayette PD officer accidently shoots another officer

Post by carlson1 »

He obviously violated at least one of the four safety rules. He had his weapon pointed in an unsafe direction with his finger on the trigger.

Sad.

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

The LPD shooting review board has determined that the shooting was an accident, WTHR reported.

“[It] was not negligence, carelessness or otherwise reckless behavior,” Lafayette Police Chief Patrick Flannelly said during a press conference. “It was accidental.”

What a crock........ it was negligence, and worse, it should be expected that that shooter have received training to prevent his negligence.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

carlson1 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:31 pm He obviously violated at least one of the four safety rules. He had his weapon pointed in an unsafe direction with his finger on the trigger.

Sad.
Rules 2,3, and 4 were all violated here.

The finding of no negligence is completely without merit.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

They all need better training. The one making the video was also searching with his finger on the trigger.

This video shows one of the reasons I dislike lights on pistols. He was using the pistol light as his flashlight while searching. I don't have a problem with having the pistol out while searching, but using it as your flashlight create extra danger that could be avoided. I was taught to keep the pistol in one set spot as I searched, using my weak side hand to move things and carry the light if needed. This keeps the pistol close to my body and pointed at what I am facing. Locking your elbow by your side also helps keep the target of your search from grabbing the pistol and getting control of it. Moving it as you search extends your arm and makes it easier for someone to grab it and take it from you.
Steve Rothstein

Return to “Never Again!!”