Police Officer Mishandles Gun And Shoots Another

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Police Officer Mishandles Gun And Shoots Another

Post by bblhd672 »

Officer who fired fatal shot charged with involuntary manslaughter; he and victim were playing with a gun, charge says
https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/cri ... -top-story

I don’t understand the charge of involuntary manslaughter. He deliberately pointed a loaded weapon at another person and pulled the trigger. One of us would be charged with murder.
Still stinks that something else was going on and is being covered up.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 2

Post by crazy2medic »

^^^^^^this!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

bblhd672 wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:01 am Officer who fired fatal shot charged with involuntary manslaughter; he and victim were playing with a gun, charge says

I don’t understand the charge of involuntary manslaughter. He deliberately pointed a loaded weapon at another person and pulled the trigger. One of us would be charged with murder.
Trust the newspaper to get it wrong. There is no such charge in Texas as involuntary manslaughter. It is either murder or manslaughter or criminally negligent homicide. The difference is in the mental state. If you intended to kill or knew you would, it is murder. If the act was reckless, it is manslaughter. If it was through negligence, it is criminally negligent homicide.

In this case, the DA probably could not prove the intent to kill, but playing Russian Roulette like this is clearly reckless. The knowingly part is a possibility, but the jury could be sympathetic and not see it. A case for manslaughter should be such a lock that there is only a question of sentencing left.
Steve Rothstein

Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Lynyrd »

TimLanders wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:30 pm Officer charged: https://defensemaven.io/bluelivesmatter ... vfEDmujcg/
:shock: I wonder if they were drinking?
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

srothstein wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:30 am
bblhd672 wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:01 am Officer who fired fatal shot charged with involuntary manslaughter; he and victim were playing with a gun, charge says

Trust the newspaper to get it wrong. There is no such charge in Texas as involuntary manslaughter. It is either murder or manslaughter or criminally negligent homicide. The difference is in the mental state. If you intended to kill or knew you would, it is murder. If the act was reckless, it is manslaughter. If it was through negligence, it is criminally negligent homicide.

In this case, the DA probably could not prove the intent to kill, but playing Russian Roulette like this is clearly reckless. The knowingly part is a possibility, but the jury could be sympathetic and not see it. A case for manslaughter should be such a lock that there is only a question of sentencing left.
Involuntary manslauther for Missouri is just manslauther in Texas.
Involuntary manslaughter
565.024. 1. A person commits the crime of involuntary manslaughter in the first degree if he or she:
(1) Recklessly causes the death of another person;
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Sounded like murder to me. Only one person was pulling the trigger, and wasn’t pointing it at himself.

Plus not respinning after each trigger pull is not gambling.

Topic author
carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

philip964 wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:12 pm
Wow that is a great thought. Each squeeze of the trigger reduced your chances (even though stupid) by a long shot. I don’t understand the charge.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

carlson1 wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:19 pm
philip964 wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:12 pm
Wow that is a great thought. Each squeeze of the trigger reduced your chances (even though stupid) by a long shot. I don’t understand the charge.
Once they finish the investigation they can, and probably will, indict for murder.
I think if there were not LEO involved there would already have been a murder charge.
Most of the stories I read call it "Russian Roulette" which it clearly was not.
NRA Endowment Member

RSX11

Post by RSX11 »

Here's a theory - maybe the two officers handling the gun thought it was inoperative, and were goofing on the 3rd officer, to get a rise out of him. And unfortunately, they were wrong.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

RSX11 wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:22 pm Here's a theory - maybe the two officers handling the gun thought it was inoperative, and were goofing on the 3rd officer, to get a rise out of him. And unfortunately, they were wrong.
Yep, that's one theory.
NRA Endowment Member

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Keith B wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:45 am Involuntary manslauther for Missouri is just manslauther in Texas.
Thanks. I don't know why i was thinking it was in Texas. I apologize for blaming the media for not paying attention when they were, in fact, correct this time.
Steve Rothstein

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

philip964 wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:47 pm This whole story is sad weird and tragic all at once.

Imagine your chief of police in St. Louis. Jobs hard enough on a regular day.
Well, if he has employees who go home to goof off, shortly after punching in at work, instead of actually working, he either knows or there's a serious breakdown in accountability and management in the organization.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

So maybe I need some Reynolds Wrap but this sounds like a hit to me.
Psalm 91:2

C-dub
Posts in topic: 4

Post by C-dub »

SQLGeek wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:46 pm So maybe I need some Reynolds Wrap but this sounds like a hit to me.
I also had similar thoughts at first, but the more I think about it the more I consider it is what I was hoping it wouldn't be. I'm beginning to think it is mere utter stupidity, but am still open to the idea that there is more to it than just that.

And people wonder why we question their contention that only LE should have guns in certain places. Then something like this or the back flipping FBI agent or a certain "professional" DEA agent come along. :roll:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

I wonder why the three of them were at the apartment at 1AM when the two men were on duty and not supposed
to be outside of their patrol area.
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “Never Again!!”