TX: DPS trooper’s 3 yo injured by gun.

So that others may learn.

Moderators: Keith B, Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

Post Reply

Topic author
philip964
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 9892
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:30 pm

TX: DPS trooper’s 3 yo injured by gun.

#1

Post by philip964 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:51 pm

https://www.click2houston.com/news/dps- ... ounty-home

We can all be thankful the child is alive. We hope and pray for a full recovery.

Got to be locked up. Keys kept always on your person.

Kids are curious and smart as the dickens.


dlh
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:16 pm

Re: TX: DPS trooper’s 3 yo injured by gun.

#2

Post by dlh » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:56 am

Wonder if there will be charges under the access statute?
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 25283
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: TX: DPS trooper’s 3 yo injured by gun.

#3

Post by The Annoyed Man » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:23 am

Some of the commenters on that page are idiots.
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy
My dream is to have lived my life so well that future generations of leftists will demand my name be removed from buildings.

User avatar

oljames3
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 3249
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:21 pm
Location: Elgin, Texas
Contact:

Re: TX: DPS trooper’s 3 yo injured by gun.

#4

Post by oljames3 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:02 am

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:23 am
Some of the commenters on that page are idiots.
Some? TAM, you are being too kind.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA Distinguished Life Member (Disabled Vet), TSRA, NAR L1

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 25283
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: TX: DPS trooper’s 3 yo injured by gun.

#5

Post by The Annoyed Man » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:44 pm

oljames3 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:02 am
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:23 am
Some of the commenters on that page are idiots.
Some? TAM, you are being too kind.
I tried to err on the side of mercy. :mrgreen:
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy
My dream is to have lived my life so well that future generations of leftists will demand my name be removed from buildings.


LDP
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 422
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:15 pm

Re: TX: DPS trooper’s 3 yo injured by gun.

#6

Post by LDP » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:54 pm

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:44 pm
I tried to err on the side of mercy. :
If we show mercy to idiots, we will soon see the ramifications .... nm ... too late ... carry on.


baseballguy2001
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: TX: DPS trooper’s 3 yo injured by gun.

#7

Post by baseballguy2001 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:46 pm

There will be no charges, no disciplinary action, nothing. Some LEO's are just as negligent when it comes to firearm safety as anyone else.
7.30.08 -- Plastic in hand (99 days)
04.01.18--2nd Renewal
05.05.18-- Plastic


srothstein
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 4183
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: Luling, TX

Re: TX: DPS trooper’s 3 yo injured by gun.

#8

Post by srothstein » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:56 pm

baseballguy2001 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:46 pm
There will be no charges, no disciplinary action, nothing. Some LEO's are just as negligent when it comes to firearm safety as anyone else.
I doubt that nothing will happen. While he is eligible for criminal charges (and should be charged if the DA has ever accepted charges against a non-LEO citizen in the same circumstances) I doubt that will happen. I do disagree with this law for citizens also though.

But DPS is notoriously political. Their officers get disciplined, including fired, for anything that makes DPS look bad. I think there will be discipline against the trooper for this reason.

But I also want to point out that one of the reasons I disagree with the law on access is that there is nothing anyone can do to a good parent more than the guilt he will do to himself for the incident. I have no reason to believe that the trooper is not a good and caring parent in this case. Having an injured child caused by his negligence will bother him, just as it would bother most parents.
Steve Rothstein

User avatar

WildBill
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 17011
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:53 pm
Location: Houston

Re: TX: DPS trooper’s 3 yo injured by gun.

#9

Post by WildBill » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:09 am

srothstein wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:56 pm
baseballguy2001 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:46 pm
There will be no charges, no disciplinary action, nothing. Some LEO's are just as negligent when it comes to firearm safety as anyone else.
I doubt that nothing will happen. While he is eligible for criminal charges (and should be charged if the DA has ever accepted charges against a non-LEO citizen in the same circumstances) I doubt that will happen. I do disagree with this law for citizens also though.

But DPS is notoriously political. Their officers get disciplined, including fired, for anything that makes DPS look bad. I think there will be discipline against the trooper for this reason.

But I also want to point out that one of the reasons I disagree with the law on access is that there is nothing anyone can do to a good parent more than the guilt he will do to himself for the incident. I have no reason to believe that the trooper is not a good and caring parent in this case. Having an injured child caused by his negligence will bother him, just as it would bother most parents.
:iagree: :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

User avatar

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 17534
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Friendswood, TX
Contact:

Re: TX: DPS trooper’s 3 yo injured by gun.

#10

Post by Charles L. Cotton » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:18 pm

srothstein wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:56 pm
baseballguy2001 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:46 pm
There will be no charges, no disciplinary action, nothing. Some LEO's are just as negligent when it comes to firearm safety as anyone else.
But I also want to point out that one of the reasons I disagree with the law on access is that there is nothing anyone can do to a good parent more than the guilt he will do to himself for the incident. I have no reason to believe that the trooper is not a good and caring parent in this case. Having an injured child caused by his negligence will bother him, just as it would bother most parents.
I agree and this is why charges are almost never filed (TPC §46.13).

Chas.

User avatar

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 17534
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Friendswood, TX
Contact:

Re: TX: DPS trooper’s 3 yo injured by gun.

#11

Post by Charles L. Cotton » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:22 pm

The article gives no details whatsoever. It doesn't say who owned the gun or who failed to secure the gun. It doesn't even say the gun was not secured. It probably wasn't but how it was accessed was not addressed in the article.

I do hope some folks are some day held to the standard they set for others.
Chas.

Post Reply

Return to “Never Again!!”