So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 1

TX: DPS trooper’s 3 yo injured by gun.

Post by philip964 »

https://www.click2houston.com/news/dps- ... ounty-home

We can all be thankful the child is alive. We hope and pray for a full recovery.

Got to be locked up. Keys kept always on your person.

Kids are curious and smart as the dickens.

dlh

Re: TX: DPS trooper’s 3 yo injured by gun.

Post by dlh »

Wonder if there will be charges under the access statute?
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Some of the commenters on that page are idiots.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:23 am Some of the commenters on that page are idiots.
Some? TAM, you are being too kind.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

oljames3 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:02 am
The Annoyed Man wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:23 am Some of the commenters on that page are idiots.
Some? TAM, you are being too kind.
I tried to err on the side of mercy. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

baseballguy2001

Post by baseballguy2001 »

There will be no charges, no disciplinary action, nothing. Some LEO's are just as negligent when it comes to firearm safety as anyone else.
7.30.08 -- Plastic in hand (99 days)
04.01.18--2nd Renewal
05.05.18-- Plastic

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

baseballguy2001 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:46 pm There will be no charges, no disciplinary action, nothing. Some LEO's are just as negligent when it comes to firearm safety as anyone else.
I doubt that nothing will happen. While he is eligible for criminal charges (and should be charged if the DA has ever accepted charges against a non-LEO citizen in the same circumstances) I doubt that will happen. I do disagree with this law for citizens also though.

But DPS is notoriously political. Their officers get disciplined, including fired, for anything that makes DPS look bad. I think there will be discipline against the trooper for this reason.

But I also want to point out that one of the reasons I disagree with the law on access is that there is nothing anyone can do to a good parent more than the guilt he will do to himself for the incident. I have no reason to believe that the trooper is not a good and caring parent in this case. Having an injured child caused by his negligence will bother him, just as it would bother most parents.
Steve Rothstein

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

srothstein wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:56 pm
baseballguy2001 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:46 pm There will be no charges, no disciplinary action, nothing. Some LEO's are just as negligent when it comes to firearm safety as anyone else.
I doubt that nothing will happen. While he is eligible for criminal charges (and should be charged if the DA has ever accepted charges against a non-LEO citizen in the same circumstances) I doubt that will happen. I do disagree with this law for citizens also though.

But DPS is notoriously political. Their officers get disciplined, including fired, for anything that makes DPS look bad. I think there will be discipline against the trooper for this reason.

But I also want to point out that one of the reasons I disagree with the law on access is that there is nothing anyone can do to a good parent more than the guilt he will do to himself for the incident. I have no reason to believe that the trooper is not a good and caring parent in this case. Having an injured child caused by his negligence will bother him, just as it would bother most parents.
:iagree: :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

srothstein wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:56 pm
I agree and this is why charges are almost never filed (TPC §46.13).

Chas.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

The article gives no details whatsoever. It doesn't say who owned the gun or who failed to secure the gun. It doesn't even say the gun was not secured. It probably wasn't but how it was accessed was not addressed in the article.

I do hope some folks are some day held to the standard they set for others.
Chas.

Return to “Never Again!!”