Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 2

MI: Man shoots kills his wife mistaking her for an intruder

Post by philip964 »

https://fox6now.com/2019/07/13/sheriff- ... -shot-her/

2:30 am.

Identify target.

Get your tactical flashlight and turn it on first.

Paladin

Re: MI: Man shoots kills his wife mistaking her for an intruder

Post by Paladin »

philip964 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:26 pm https://fox6now.com/2019/07/13/sheriff- ... -shot-her/

2:30 am.

Identify target.

Get your tactical flashlight and turn it on first.
:iagree:
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

LDP wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:41 pm That's a big problem I have with people having loaded firearms under their pillows, in night-stands etc.
The OODA loop might be very "loopy" when one is awoken from deep sleep, not allowing much time to process and think clearly.

Ever since we introduced a weapon to our bedroom, we agreed on SOP that one needs to account for the spouse before using the weapon.
I'd reach for the wife at the same time as I'm reaching for the weapon. I don't want any surprises.
It also helps that our dog sleeps with us. He'd at least alert us to an intruder (if not shred him to pieces in seconds).

R.I.P., Michigan wife.
I am frankly surprised no "negligent homicide" or similar charges have been filed.
The guy is an idiot. He also had a four year old in the house. It easily could have been the child walking around after having a bad dream. They should file charges on him for negligent homicide at the least. The whole thing is so darned ignorant it makes me wonder if there is not more to the story. Maybe he isn't that stupid. Maybe he is trying to get away with murder. :mad5

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 3

Post by crazy2medic »

I'll repeat a previous statement, who does not recognize their spouse's form in the dark? I seriously doubt anybody who claims "I didn't know it was my wife" REALLY? the fact she wasn't laying beside you in bed?
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

pushpullpete

Post by pushpullpete »

crazy2medic wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:02 pm I'll repeat a previous statement, who does not recognize their spouse's form in the dark? I seriously doubt anybody who claims "I didn't know it was my wife" REALLY? the fact she wasn't laying beside you in bed?
Some people are truly unprepared or grossly under prepared. I'm sorry for the family and hope this really was an accident.
My wife really likes cotton pjs so, recognizing her form in the dark....it's not her form. It's the way the material falls & could be anyone
that is her approx size or someone taller squatting down. I've taught myself when I wake to put on glasses, pick up light in right hand,
pistol in left & visually check for wife. Visually because once asleep she prefers not to be awakened by touch. One bloody nose 35+ yrs
ago was all the learning I needed. I make it a point to never turn on a light at night unless absolutely needed. It familiarizes you to the
shapes & shadows in your own space so you're more likely to notice when something isn't right. We have four dogs (totaling 245/250 lbs)
that sleep within the house. Each has their own favorite spot & will alert to the grandkids if they happen to be sleep walking w the
largest at 108 that sleeps about 8 ft away from me. If a BG is close I know I have precious seconds to protect my loved ones.
Training & practice, you can't do too much.

:txflag: :patriot:

oljames3
Posts in topic: 1

Post by oljames3 »

This is a tragic story that plays out way too often.
In our hosue, we have at least one automatic night light in each room. No children. Streamlight PolyTac and S&W M&P (in Safariland ALS) on the nightstand. I'm not in any hurry to clear my house.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

pushpullpete wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:01 pm
crazy2medic wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:02 pm I'll repeat a previous statement, who does not recognize their spouse's form in the dark? I seriously doubt anybody who claims "I didn't know it was my wife" REALLY? the fact she wasn't laying beside you in bed?
Some people are truly unprepared or grossly under prepared. I'm sorry for the family and hope this really was an accident.
My wife really likes cotton pjs so, recognizing her form in the dark....it's not her form. It's the way the material falls & could be anyone
that is her approx size or someone taller squatting down. I've taught myself when I wake to put on glasses, pick up light in right hand,
pistol in left & visually check for wife. Visually because once asleep she prefers not to be awakened by touch. One bloody nose 35+ yrs
ago was all the learning I needed. I make it a point to never turn on a light at night unless absolutely needed. It familiarizes you to the
shapes & shadows in your own space so you're more likely to notice when something isn't right. We have four dogs (totaling 245/250 lbs)
that sleep within the house. Each has their own favorite spot & will alert to the grandkids if they happen to be sleep walking w the
largest at 108 that sleeps about 8 ft away from me. If a BG is close I know I have precious seconds to protect my loved ones.

We have 4 big dogs and several terriers, two of the big dogs a black lab about 60lbs and a shepherd mix she's pushing 70lbs, those two are a force to be reckoned with, the other two,a yellow lab 70lbs and the Chocolate lab he's 105lbs, they are an unknown, the terrier their hearing is amazing, I believe they could here my neighbor sneeze if he was outside, my wife she sleeps hard, doesn't wake up easy, as for me all my years of firefighting I don't sleep hard at all and I don't wake up groggy, my P14 is cocked and locked on the nite stand, two spare 14rd mags and my tactical flashlight, if my wife did get up in the middle of the night it would wake me up, plus the dogs wouldn't alert! If it was a stranger the terrier would hear them outside, and definitely if they tried to break in and they would go nuts!
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

crazy2medic wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:43 pm

We have 4 big dogs and several terriers, two of the big dogs a black lab about 60lbs and a shepherd mix she's pushing 70lbs, those two are a force to be reckoned with, the other two,a yellow lab 70lbs and the Chocolate lab he's 105lbs, they are an unknown, the terrier their hearing is amazing, I believe they could here my neighbor sneeze if he was outside, my wife she sleeps hard, doesn't wake up easy, as for me all my years of firefighting I don't sleep hard at all and I don't wake up groggy, my P14 is cocked and locked on the nite stand, two spare 14rd mags and my tactical flashlight, if my wife did get up in the middle of the night it would wake me up, plus the dogs wouldn't alert! If it was a stranger the terrier would hear them outside, and definitely if they tried to break in and they would go nuts!
Dogs are an awesome alarm system, not to mention the big ones may handle the problem all on their own! :cheers2:
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Paladin wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:00 pm

Dogs are an awesome alarm system, not to mention the big ones may handle the problem all on their own! :cheers2:
I would be willing to bet that dogs run off as many potential criminals as alarm systems do.

pushpullpete

Post by pushpullpete »

Dogs are great. Feed them & treat them well and you will get unconditional love in return. Ours are for protection but are family too.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:12 pm
Paladin wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:00 pm

I would be willing to bet that dogs run off as many potential criminals as alarm systems do.
My son took care of two neighbor dogs at their house for a
week while the neighbors were out of town. A Shih Tsu and a Rottweiler. He asked about a key and they said, a keys isn’t necessary, we don’t lock the doors.

J.R.@A&M
Posts in topic: 1

Post by J.R.@A&M »

We also have a terrier task force.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

J.R.@A&M wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:19 pm

We also have a terrier task force.
Then I suspect at sometime you have encountered THE TERRIER BARRIER! Where by you seek to get close to your spouse and find out the terrier has placed themselves in the intervening space!

Return to “Never Again!!”