FL: Father kills son in law accidentally with one shot from .380

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 1

Re: FL: Father kills son in law accidentally with one shot from .380

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I have been watching this thread since the original posting. The father in law has got to be having some serious difficulties with this. His daughter must be crushed. My SIL and daughter have been together now for almost ten years counting dating time. I love him like a son and could never forgive myself if I did something like this. I feel awful for that whole family.

My SIL and daughter both have keys to my house. They always knock anyway but just a couple weeks ago I was feeling bad and had fallen asleep on the sofa. They had not heard from me in awhile so he used his key. I woke up as he was opening the door. I instantly knew it was one of them because the door was not being kicked down. My reason for telling this is that my daughter jokingly said something to him about me waking up and shooting him. These things happen but I think it is more likely if the shooter is a bit trigger happy. I learned long ago to be sure of my target before pulling the trigger for this very reason. After spending my life with two kids and then teens in the house, I am automatic about being sure of who it is I am shooting at. Inside or outside my home.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Oldgringo »

Shot his SIL,eh? I wonder how his daughter feels about this?

flechero

Post by flechero »

LDP wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:37 pm
K.Mooneyham wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:58 am However, on the face of the incident, it would seem to violate the 3rd Rule of Firearms Safety: Always Be Sure Of Your Target And What Is Behind It. I'm wondering if the "startle response" got the best of him because the 4th Rule says: Keep Your Finger Off The Trigger Until Your Sights Are On The Target.
This gross violation of rules #3 and #4 has me wondering whether the FIL is such a perfect shot or whether he just got un/lucky to hit the bullseye.
I always thought that gun owners were all responsible and smart people. Until I got my CHL and observed some fellow applicants. I am more scared than before now.

R.I.P., SIL.
And I hope the FIL will dig deep now and learn some basic safety rules and train frequently for proficiency.
I'll politely disagree. The guy may have been better trained than any of us and may have followed all the rules. The sil was supposed to be overseas and who knows for how long. (his appearance could have changed, beard, haircut, etc.) The sil tried to scare him to death in a jump out of the bushes, split second, simulated attack, late at night... had he waited to "interview" the attacker, as some seem to think, he should have he would be dead, if it hadn't been his sil.

He hit his target in the midst of an attack. Sad as the outcome turned out to be, he performed as we all train to. Had his "attacker" been ANYONE else, everyone here would be singing his praises about being cool under pressure and hitting com while being attacked.

So yes, it's a horrible accident... and it was 100% preventable and 100% caused by the dead guy. I pray for the FIL and his daughter, as their lives are forever changed, based on the poor choices the sil made.

Perfect circumstances rarely, if ever exist. :tiphat:

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

flechero wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:20 am
LDP wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:37 pm
K.Mooneyham wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:58 am However, on the face of the incident, it would seem to violate the 3rd Rule of Firearms Safety: Always Be Sure Of Your Target And What Is Behind It. I'm wondering if the "startle response" got the best of him because the 4th Rule says: Keep Your Finger Off The Trigger Until Your Sights Are On The Target.
This gross violation of rules #3 and #4 has me wondering whether the FIL is such a perfect shot or whether he just got un/lucky to hit the bullseye.
I always thought that gun owners were all responsible and smart people. Until I got my CHL and observed some fellow applicants. I am more scared than before now.

R.I.P., SIL.
And I hope the FIL will dig deep now and learn some basic safety rules and train frequently for proficiency.
I'll politely disagree. The guy may have been better trained than any of us and may have followed all the rules. The sil was supposed to be overseas and who knows for how long. (his appearance could have changed, beard, haircut, etc.) The sil tried to scare him to death in a jump out of the bushes, split second, simulated attack, late at night... had he waited to "interview" the attacker, as some seem to think, he should have he would be dead, if it hadn't been his sil.

He hit his target in the midst of an attack. Sad as the outcome turned out to be, he performed as we all train to. Had his "attacker" been ANYONE else, everyone here would be singing his praises about being cool under pressure and hitting com while being attacked.

So yes, it's a horrible accident... and it was 100% preventable and 100% caused by the dead guy. I pray for the FIL and his daughter, as their lives are forever changed, based on the poor choices the sil made.

Perfect circumstances rarely, if ever exist. :tiphat:
I agree. The split-second attack apparently from very close range after knocking on the door and hiding changes the dynamic of "threat target identification." That said, it obviously would have been better, though not legally required, not to open the door if he didn't see or recognize who was knocking.

Chas.

eyedoc

Post by eyedoc »

This reminds me of an incident back in junior high school. One halloween, a couple of guys dared another guy to walk down a path in the cemetery at night. He accepted the challenge, but one of the other guys was hiding behind a tombstone. When he walked by the tombstone, the prankster jumped out to scare him. The scared guy slugged the prankster and ran off screaming. The prankster was knocked out and got a broken nose for his troubles. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Return to “Never Again!!”