Just got back from AD/ND call

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
parabelum
Posts in topic: 1

Just got back from AD/ND call

Post by parabelum »

So the gentleman was loading his little NAA 22mag and in the process ended up discharging the round into his left hand (went through the crease between the thumb and index finger). Round went then into his left quad and exited posterior out the back almost by the back of the knee. Obliterated part of his thumb and has a nice ol exit wound with bone definitely compromised upon palpating /visual.
He apparently had it in full instead of half cocked and placed his hand in front of muzzle to load (those can be tricky, I have a pug), when he inadvertently squeezed the trigger.

He was surprised at the number “that little 22“ did. I told him, well ... it’s a 22mag...
Oh, he was sitting in the golf cart when that happened.

He will be ok, but lesson learned!

PUCKER

Re: Just got back from AD/ND call

Post by PUCKER »

Definitely a double Yowch!! I've got one of those little guys - it really is a pain to load (compared to a normal revolver)...I'm always super extra careful. :tiphat:

strogg

Post by strogg »

I can definitely see that happening. I have one of those too, and before I loaded live rounds into it, I practiced removing and installing the cylinder countless times. Those things are very easy to ND if you aren't paying attention.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Even .22 LR can do some damage and bounce around all sorts of ways. Believe me I know. :shock:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

Slightly off topic, but not really.

@Parabellum, Thank You for your service as a First Responder.

Same goes for all the others here that serve our communities. Stay safe, & stay awesome.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I have one. I didn't notice it being a huge issue loading and unloading, but it has been about a year since I last did. Will have to look at it again soon.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

puma guy wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:59 pm Even .22 LR can do some damage and bounce around all sorts of ways. Believe me I know. :shock:
:iagree:
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Excaliber »

When all 4 safety rules are violated, bad things happen more often than not.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Excaliber wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:08 am When all 4 safety rules are violated, bad things happen more often than not.
Some guns make it easier to break the rules than others and some guns are more tolerant than others.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Excaliber »

Liberty wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:54 pm
Excaliber wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:08 am When all 4 safety rules are violated, bad things happen more often than not.
Some guns make it easier to break the rules than others and some guns are more tolerant than others.
That is very true, and extra care is required when handling them.

The smaller they are, the more this applies.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Return to “Never Again!!”