ND - some blood

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Mike S
Posts in topic: 1

Re: ND - some blood

Post by Mike S »

Ouch!

In addition to corrective actions #1 & #2 that the guy pointed out (buying a holster that's actually made for the particular firearm, & not getting complacent), I'd add

#3: Actually LOOK at the holster and ensure the re-holstering is free of any obstructions that can interact w/ the trigger...

Hopefully he escaped w/o any femur or major vascular damage.

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Ouch

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

It can happen to anyone.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

AndyC wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:18 pm People asked and he said he wouldn't need surgery - dude got VERY lucky.
A friend who was a Pasadena cop when I worked in the ER negligently shot himself in a similar manner and ended up with exactly this wound. He didn’t need surgery either, but he did get a blooming wound infection from all the bits of holster and pants material that was blown into the wound. The round in that case was a .38 Special +P.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 3

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

GOOD GOLLY! That had to hurt!

Chaparral

Post by Chaparral »

This could have been any one of the many modern, striker-fired, pistols without thumb safeties, but if anyone ever asks you what the term “Glock leg“ means, just show them this picture.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Exactly why I watch my gun all the way into the holster. I don’t practice reholstering without looking, simply because, in a SD situation, my gun will be in my hand, until I am completely satisfied, there are no further threats. If the police arrive, they are not going to ask me to re holster.
I am also not a fan of straps on holsters, they do tend to get in the way, and can create the exact situation, described in the OP. I have thumb break on one holster and I don’t even consider re holstering without, holding the thumb break out of the way with my off hand, and watching throughout the process.
I have heard people extoll the virtue of being able to re-holster without looking, and how quickly they can do so, but as I’ve said before, I’ve never heard of anyone winning a gun fight by being the first one with their gun, back in their holster. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Jusme wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:57 pm Exactly why I watch my gun all the way into the holster. I don’t practice reholstering without looking, simply because, in a SD situation, my gun will be in my hand, until I am completely satisfied, there are no further threats. If the police arrive, they are not going to ask me to re holster.
I am also not a fan of straps on holsters, they do tend to get in the way, and can create the exact situation, described in the OP. I have thumb break on one holster and I don’t even consider re holstering without, holding the thumb break out of the way with my off hand, and watching throughout the process.
I have heard people extoll the virtue of being able to re-holster without looking, and how quickly they can do so, but as I’ve said before, I’ve never heard of anyone winning a gun fight by being the first one with their gun, back in their holster. JMHO
This is the way.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

flechero

Post by flechero »

I was taught to reholster "slowly and reluctantly"

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

Jusme wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:57 pm Exactly why I watch my gun all the way into the holster. I don’t practice reholstering without looking, simply because, in a SD situation, my gun will be in my hand, until I am completely satisfied, there are no further threats. If the police arrive, they are not going to ask me to re holster.
:iagree: yup.

Reholster slowly, with both hands, clear any cover garments. Also not a fan of holsters with straps and or doohickeys.

On the upside he appears to have missed his knee!
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

ELB

Post by ELB »

Russell wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:47 pm This does not appear to be .45, and definitely does not appear to be hollow point.
I treated a guy who shot himself in the thigh with a .40 Speer Gold Dot hollow point that fully expanded and the exit hole was no bigger than what was in the picture. Maybe less. Skin is pretty elastic. We know the bullet fully expanded because he picked it up off the floor and showed it to us when we arrived. Seeing that it had expanded was his first indication that he shot himself -- he thought he just made a loud noise because he didn't feel a thing...at first.
USAF 1982-2005

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Agreed that watching the gun during holstering is an asset. Gabe Suarez is known for taking gun handling risks that some people are extremely uncomfortable with, and even Gabe recommends watching the gun during holstering.

For myself, I also have a strong appreciation for manual safeties, but I practice enough with manual safeties that using them is automatic. I don't even put thought into operating them.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Never Again!!”