A great discovery for higher velocity 147 gr. 9mm loads.

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
K-Texas
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

A great discovery for higher velocity 147 gr. 9mm loads.

Post by K-Texas »

Another load we tested last Friday that had previously chrono'd 1092 FPS from the Canik TP9sa was with the Winchester 147 gr JHP that Midway sells at a very good price. From my SP's 5" M&P Mod 2 it chrono'd 1118 FPS. Depending on who you ask, that's the velocity of the speed of sound at sea level. Easily Super-Sonic at our range where elevation is around 1350'. We water tested it and average recovered dia was .633" with a mass of 144.8 grs. OACL was 1.142"/29mm. Expansion was fully symmetrical rather than petaled. That OACL might be a problem for some 9mm chambers. But when they arrived, I could tell that the ogive (nose shape) looked slender enough to maybe work in 9mm pistols with short throated chambers like the M&Ps and many others. It was plunk tested and fully seated in the M&P chamber which is kind of exciting in my book. The Canik can take loads longer than SAAMI spec, but my SP shoot 3 different M&Ps and an HK VP9.

If you have the Lyman 49th edition or their Pistol & Revolver III you can compare the data I used. Remember to work up from a start charge, or no higher than a mid-charge. The 7.4 gr load is .2 grs above what Lyman lists for the SPEER 147 gr TMJ at 7.2 grs that has a fairly short OACL of 1.115", and as mentioned, my loads are 1.142". If you need it, I wrote an article on finding the correct OACL for your bullet and your 9mm pistol at the Western Powders blog going back a few pages. So here's the thing about the slight increase in powder charge. A longer OACL certainly helps and lowers pressure a bit, but the 147 gr. TMJ load shows a tested pressure of 29,000 CUP while SAAMI Max Average Pressure, MAP, for the 9 x 19mm is 33,000 CUP/35,000 PSI. Two different test methods, so two different pressure values for standard pressure loads. For a load to jump 4000 CUP higher and into +P, it won't be because of a .2 gr increase of Accurate No 7.

I mentioned that I use Silhouette for my 124 gr defense loads in the thread I started about QAS in the general section. It's treated for low flash which is a must for defense loads. It does not, however, have the gas to push 147 gr. JHPs much over 1000 FPS. True Blue is another powder I use for the same reason where low flash is a natural characteristic of the powder. It, however, runs out of gas at around 1050 FPS where faster loads would put pressure into the +P category. Accurate No 7 was originally designed for heavy bullet 9 x 19mm loads and it excels at that. From 1092 - 1118 FPS I can tell you that recoil is more noticeable than the loads you normally shoot, but it is by no means brisk. The only defense cartridge I shoot that's subsonic will have .45 ACP stamped on the case rim. But that's me. The WIN 147 gr JHP is a very good bullet at an excellent price, and expansion should still be pretty decent if you load them at around 1000 FPS. ;-)
Anything that can be corrupted by man; will be corrupted.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want . . .

LeonCarr
Posts in topic: 1

Re: A great discovery for higher velocity 147 gr. 9mm loads.

Post by LeonCarr »

If you want to put safely put some "yeehah" in your 147 Grain 9mm Handloads, look at Vhitavhouri's load data for the 147 Grain Hornady XTP-HP with 3N37 or N105.

Please follow all safe reloading practices.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

Topic author
K-Texas
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Re: A great discovery for higher velocity 147 gr. 9mm loads.

Post by K-Texas »

Or 3N38! IIRC, 1206 FPS rom their 4" test barrel with the standard pressure charge. I've never had the opportunity to get any N105, but 3N37 was the powder I used when I got into Super-Sonic 147s about 20 years ago. One thing, however, concerning the 3N38 load. Guys that I've corresponded with for these type loads have told me that 3N38 will be heavily compressed with the 147 gr. XTP at 1.142" OACL. Bullets are likely to get deformed during seating. So either the load must lengthen, or the powder charge must decrease. Either will effect velocity accordingly.

AA#7 has also provided better accuracy than 3N38 while it's plenty capable of getting all the velocity you're likely to want or need. That particular comparison was done with a G34. And I'll remind anyone interested in such loads that slide velocity is the greater issue here. Go up at least 2 or 3# over the factory recoil spring weight. The fastest 147 gr. loads I've fired from the 4.47" Canik TP9sa (XTPs) was 1175 FPS. And that pistol is rated for +P ammo and carries a NATO spec. ;-)
Anything that can be corrupted by man; will be corrupted.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want . . .

Return to “Reloading Forum”