Reloading Carry Ammo?

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
tomneal
Posts in topic: 2

Reloading Carry Ammo?

Post by tomneal »

Current thoughts on Reloading your own carry ammo for Texas carry?

9mm, 40S&W, 45ACP
I am low on carry ammo.

In the last 25 years, I've reloaded and shot between 100,000 and 200,000 rounds of match ammo. I count my match ammo by full ammo cans. If the count drops below 1, I reload match ammo until the low ammo problem is corrected.

I don't have enough carry ammo to shoot a few magazines through my carry guns.
Current prices are around 3 times my current inventory. When any is available.

Does any reload for carry?
Or
Is this a really bad idea?
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

Tex1961

Re: Reloading Carry Ammo?

Post by Tex1961 »

My opinion based on the political climate.. Probably not the best idea. An aggressive DA may decide that your just out to kill people since you reload and want the most deadly ammo you can make.... I think for the minimum amount saved, probably not worth the hassle... But I could be wrong and nothing ever comes of it... Was that fence riding or what.. :-)

Topic author
tomneal

Post by tomneal »

Thanks for the opinion.

I might use factory ammo for the first magazine and reloaded self protection ammo for "Zombie Apocalypse" and/or 2nd magazine.

I think the reloads may be fine in Texas but outside the state, may be iffy.

Is Austin part of Texas?
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

tomneal wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:26 am Thanks for the opinion.

I might use factory ammo for the first magazine and reloaded self protection ammo for "Zombie Apocalypse" and/or 2nd magazine.

I think the reloads may be fine in Texas but outside the state, may be iffy.

Is Austin part of Texas?
Haha... Yeah, I think Austin succeeded a while back.... Not a bad idea re. the second mag though....

Jose_in_Dallas
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

Tex1961 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:03 am My opinion based on the political climate.. Probably not the best idea. An aggressive DA may decide that your just out to kill people since you reload and want the most deadly ammo you can make.... I think for the minimum amount saved, probably not worth the hassle... But I could be wrong and nothing ever comes of it... Was that fence riding or what.. :-)
Agreed on this and have heard the same thing suggested for the same reason.

powerboatr
Posts in topic: 3

Post by powerboatr »

i have reloads in one of my carry pistols
i have a 1 in over 20k loaded that failed to fire properly (squib) i have a few not performed in my opinion to expected in fly quality

not sure why it matters if your in a situation that the da would look at your ammunition to see if its reloads or not?
i use pretty much 3 brands of cases, and at first glance of a case, i would press as how they would say it was a reload and caused "excessive" defense

i had never given this much thought

my load logs; if subpoenaed would show i load far from "super lethal" rounds i load as recommended by the powder company, based on bullet weight and expected pressures, usually a tad on the low side

but i could see a KAREN making a big deal

good questions for thought
thanks
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

I have handloaded carry ammo for some guns because I was not happy with the factory ammo available. If I ever have to justify it? I am not in law enforcement. I have a weapon to protect myself and my family in case of attack. I experimented with projectiles and powders until I identified a combination that was accurate and reliable in my weapon. I believe this load is the most effective at ending a threat to myself while providing the lowest risk to innocent persons in the vicinity.

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

i searched and could not find, but i am not perfect and could have missed it.

i could not find where its illegal to use reloaded ammunition in a personal defense firearm specifically in texas

is this a thing?
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

powerboatr wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:15 pm i searched and could not find, but i am not perfect and could have missed it.

i could not find where its illegal to use reloaded ammunition in a personal defense firearm specifically in texas

is this a thing?
It's not a thing in Texas' Penal Code. I believe that some states outlaw the use of hollow points for self defense, which is absolutely absurd, however I don't know of any that outlaw the use of reloaded ammunition.

I believe the 'argumemt' some would make is that an overly zealous prosecutor could present your reloading of self defense ammo as part of a 'guilty mind' thread to prejudice a jury against you. I personally think it's a moot point, & that the case 'should' hing upon 'was your use of force /deadly force justified under the penal code, or was it not'? (Ie, was your belief reasonable that it was immediately necessary to use deadly force to stop the predator from what they were doing, or was there a presumption of reasonableness under the penal code?). However, the Kyle Rittenhouse trial proved me wrong in that the prosecutor brought up some baloney about 'exploding ammunition' (Rittenhouse used ball ammo instead of hollow points/soft points, & the prosecutor attempted to argue that was somehow nefarious till the defense attorney smacked that line of thought down as ridiculous, & countered that the ammo wasn't 'explosive'....). So, my new opinion is that if you have a rabid prosecutor who relies on theatrics vs logic, it won't matter what kind of ammunition you use; the prosecutor 'could' attempt to paint you as an evil actor for using your God-given right of self defense by influencing a jury that is likely ignorant of firearms & terminal ballistics.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I don’t reload myself but in case of an emergency, all of my rounds become self defense ammo. To me it doesn’t matter if it’s factory or reload, FMJ or hollow point. If I need to shoot that much due to “apocalypse”, I’m throwing everything I have down range.
If I did reload, I wouldn’t have an issue reloading my carry ammo. It would seem to me that loads would/could be more precise than factory.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

Mike S wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:21 pm
powerboatr wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:15 pm i searched and could not find, but i am not perfect and could have missed it.

is this a thing?
It's not a thing in Texas' Penal Code. I believe that some states outlaw the use of hollow points for self defense, which is absolutely absurd, however I don't know of any that outlaw the use of reloaded ammunition.

I believe the 'argumemt' some would make is that an overly zealous prosecutor could present your reloading of self defense ammo as part of a 'guilty mind' thread to prejudice a jury against you. I personally think it's a moot point, & that the case 'should' hing upon 'was your use of force /deadly force justified under the penal code, or was it not'? (Ie, was your belief reasonable that it was immediately necessary to use deadly force to stop the predator from what they were doing, or was there a presumption of reasonableness under the penal code?). However, the Kyle Rittenhouse trial proved me wrong in that the prosecutor brought up some baloney about 'exploding ammunition' (Rittenhouse used ball ammo instead of hollow points/soft points, & the prosecutor attempted to argue that was somehow nefarious till the defense attorney smacked that line of thought down as ridiculous, & countered that the ammo wasn't 'explosive'....). So, my new opinion is that if you have a rabid prosecutor who relies on theatrics vs logic, it won't matter what kind of ammunition you use; the prosecutor 'could' attempt to paint you as an evil actor for using your God-given right of self defense by influencing a jury that is likely ignorant of firearms & terminal ballistics.
i like your remarks
my reloads are all round nose and fully jacketed they pretty much stay intact in soft objects and come apart on solid things.

i only reload pistol , my rifles i buy what i need because i dont go through much and ....i would have to buy another dillion :biggrinjester:

i tried reloading a few hollow points and was not happy in the process with my machine, juice was not worth the squeeze

my carry bullets in the 380 are normal pers defense rounds that swell upon impact of the object ".380 ACP, XTP HP," similar to these
they are legal, .
i saw the rittenhouse exploding bullets thing and about died

if they sell it at stores it has to be legal for carry ???

this is great discussion

Return to “Reloading Forum”