Anyone tried this bullet lube?

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Don2
Posts in topic: 7

Anyone tried this bullet lube?

Post by Don2 »

Was just about to buy a bullet/lead BHN tester when I noticed they also sell bullet lube.
They say its great, but was just wondering if anyone has used it and care to comment.
You out there AndyC....I bet you have tried it? Just a guess.... ;-)

http://www.lbtmoulds.com/lube.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Let me know.

Don2

Topic author
Don2

Re: Anyone tried this bullet lube?

Post by Don2 »

Yea George, that was my first choice and I did make some.
But getting lazy I guess.

Andy, thats the guy.
He says his lube is great ( heard that one before) but its only about $3 a tube vs $6-$7 brand name stuff???
Not as cheap as cheap as White label lube...But them guys are hard to get in touch with and only take mail order or pay-pal which I do not use any more.....I bet they are VERY busy these days ( getting close to elections again like last time..!! )

But after reading more on his site, I noticed he does not take credit card orders either....HHHmmmmmm

Oh well...I'll just keep crawling along like I've been doing. I still have 4 tubes of RCBS bullet lube and a few tubes of Lyman stuff in stock. I'm not running out yet, just trying to keep ahead...If I ever get all my extra lead melted and poured in ingots...I may be running very low on lube..!

Ok, Thanks and make sure you take care of that new RED machine you've been holding hands with... :thumbs2:

Don2

APynckel
Posts in topic: 1

Post by APynckel »

I also make my own. Lanolin and 99% anhydrous isopropryl alcohol.
NRA Lifetime Member

Topic author
Don2

Post by Don2 »

APynckel wrote:I also make my own. Lanolin and 99% anhydrous isopropryl alcohol.
YES it's good stuff and it does work well to lube brass. The problem I had was finding 99% iso where I live...I know I can find it online, but found it in the big city of Huntsville while I was there. ;-)

Don2

NcongruNt

Post by NcongruNt »

APynckel wrote:I also make my own. Lanolin and 99% anhydrous isopropryl alcohol.
What proportions of lanolin and IPA do you use for this?
NRA Member
TSRA Member
My Blog: All You Really Need

Topic author
Don2

Post by Don2 »

NcongruNt wrote:
What proportions of lanolin and IPA do you use for this?
This is how mine was made.
http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm#Sizing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don2

EconDoc

Post by EconDoc »

Is that bullet lube or resizing lube? There is a difference, you know. Resizing lube is for use on cases before they go into the resizing die. Bullet lube is for applying to cast bullets before they are loaded into a round. Your recipe looks more like resizing lube to me.
Sauron lives and his orc minions are on the march. Free people own guns.

Topic author
Don2

Post by Don2 »

EconDoc wrote:
Is that bullet lube or resizing lube? There is a difference, you know. Resizing lube is for use on cases before they go into the resizing die. Bullet lube is for applying to cast bullets before they are loaded into a round. Your recipe looks more like resizing lube to me.
Yes, he was talking about sizing lube, I was talking about bullet lube...But its ok....I didn't mind ;-)
There are very few conversations here these days....I'll take what I can get. :headscratch

Do you make any of the above lubes?
To me, it's just an extension of reloading. And may I say it's one of many extensions available....You can get caught up in too many and loose sight of the original idea.
I know because I have wondered into several areas of reloading and need to get back to basics. Plus...It costs a lot of money to get all the needed tools. Thats one reason I was wanting to make my own lube and save a few bucks.
I have made some of the lubes, I just run out of time and funds to experiment properly. And bees wax is hard to find in my area, only on the Inet so far and shipping adds a lot to the costs..plus shipping wax in the summer in TEXAS is not the best time...even some of the web sites tell you that.

Thanks
Don2

mr surveyor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mr surveyor »

since it's officially approved to throw in sizing lube chat....... I've been mixing one part Lee Case Lube (from the tubes) to 4-5 parts alcohol (and I used plain old 70-whatever percent rubbing alcohol) in a cheap utility kitchen spray bottle. Just shake well before use and it works well. I put the brass in a quart or half gallon zip-lock bag, give them 3-4 good squirts of lube, zip the bag and rattle 'em around for a bit and they're all good to go. You don't have to wait for them to dry, and you don't have to size them wet..... it don't matter. I use the same bag over and over, and often just shoot a couple squirts into the bag before I drop in the brass as there's always plenty of lube residue left in the bag.

Using nothing but carbide dies now (only loading .38, .357mag and .44mag), I don't case lube much any more.
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

Topic author
Don2

Post by Don2 »

mr surveyor wrote:since it's officially approved to throw in sizing lube chat....... I've been mixing one part Lee Case Lube (from the tubes) to 4-5 parts alcohol (and I used plain old 70-whatever percent rubbing alcohol) in a cheap utility kitchen spray bottle. Just shake well before use and it works well. I put the brass in a quart or half gallon zip-lock bag, give them 3-4 good squirts of lube, zip the bag and rattle 'em around for a bit and they're all good to go. You don't have to wait for them to dry, and you don't have to size them wet..... it don't matter. I use the same bag over and over, and often just shoot a couple squirts into the bag before I drop in the brass as there's always plenty of lube residue left in the bag.

Using nothing but carbide dies now (only loading .38, .357mag and .44mag), I don't case lube much any more.
Heck, it doesn't really matter what we talk about as long as it's reloading ;-)
Is the Lee case lube your talking about really called Lee Resizing Lube #90517 in a 2oz tube ? Is it white'ish cream looking?
If so, I have a few tubes of it and have not really tried it yet. It was part of a big "Box-O-stuff" I bought at a garage sale.
If thats it, I just may try that as a spray lube too....70% alcohol Hmmm..Never tried it but have used 91 and 99%. I'm sure you just have to shake it more often, no big deal.

I find that even with carbide dies, a little lube helps. Even the older instructions with the carbide dies mention that. Granted...you do not need much or even any, but it does make it size easier especially with bigger brass with more surface area. :fire

38/357 is my favorite, there are many different loads you can make with them from shot shells to a million bullet types ( well almost ) ..........

Thanks for the tip.
Don2

mr surveyor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mr surveyor »

Don

Yep....Lee Resizing Lube. And the alcohol I was referring to is plain old household rubbing alcohol. I'm not sure of the actual "percent", but it works fine for lube. And, I agree that even with carbide dies that a tiny bit of lube can help. If you just want a "tiny bit" of lube, you can cut your lube in the spray bottle to 1 part in 6 or seven. Even the "watered down" alcohol evaporates pretty quick and leaves a well distributed "tiny bit" of lube on the brass.

I should clarify something about sizing them "wet". It works just as well as waiting for them to dry, BUT.... I single stage all my sizing/expanding first and have all my available brass ready for a "loading session" at a later date (if I've used wet lube). I wouldn't prime and powder them "wet".

surv
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

Topic author
Don2

Post by Don2 »

mr surveyor wrote:Don

Yep....Lee Resizing Lube. And the alcohol I was referring to is plain old household rubbing alcohol. I'm not sure of the actual "percent", but it works fine for lube. And, I agree that even with carbide dies that a tiny bit of lube can help. If you just want a "tiny bit" of lube, you can cut your lube in the spray bottle to 1 part in 6 or seven. Even the "watered down" alcohol evaporates pretty quick and leaves a well distributed "tiny bit" of lube on the brass.

I should clarify something about sizing them "wet". It works just as well as waiting for them to dry, BUT.... I single stage all my sizing/expanding first and have all my available brass ready for a "loading session" at a later date (if I've used wet lube). I wouldn't prime and powder them "wet".

surv
GREAT...I'll have to try that soon since I have a few tubes just collecting dust ;-)
I've just noticed that when using carbide pistol dies it made them feel like they were sizing easier with a little lube. No big deal if you have some spray lube handy...just spray and your on your way...Hmmm..That rhymes, guess I'm a poet and didn't know-et :mrgreen:

Thanks for the INFO.
I'll add this to my "Reloading" folder on my hard drive...( It's getting pretty BIG )

Don2

Return to “Reloading Forum”