Any rifle reloading people would would give me an hour?

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Tex1961
Posts in topic: 3

Any rifle reloading people would would give me an hour?

Post by Tex1961 »

Just as the title says.. I just got my (new to me) Lee turret press over the weekend. The guy I bought it from helped set it up and ran me through reloading some 9mm. I've spend the last month or so scouring websites, articles, etc. on reloading. So between the two I think I've got a pretty decent head start.

My biggest issue is that I never really wanted to reload,, but since I went down the Milsurp road, I found that I needed to learn if I ever wanted to shoot any of the older calibers. 6.6 and 7.7 Jap.. 8mm, Carcano and more. While I think I have a decent knowledge base I would still love to talk to someone for a little while just to be sure I'm being safe, etc. Every time I think I know enough, I run across another article and I'm back to zero.

Thanks

Malawler
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Any rifle reloading people would would give me an hour?

Post by Malawler »

Too far away to give you an hour but will pass along a few things I`ve learned.
1. Don't try to make some super duper magnum round out of what was never intended.
Good solid low to mid range rounds will give you years of fun.
2. Find the best components you can. Most of those milsurp rounds you mentioned are still being made somewhere! Even if you can only buy loaded rounds. If you have to use surplus, thourouly inspect and discard ANY questionable cases.
3. Hang out at a range and find someone else shooting a classic. Chances are they will have stuff to share/sell in a caliber you need. Buy'em a beer or lunch and make a friend!
4. Have fun!! I firmly believe old guns if in good shape should be fired and appreciated.

Best of luck!

Topic author
Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Malawler wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:11 pm Too far away to give you an hour but will pass along a few things I`ve learned.
1. Don't try to make some super duper magnum round out of what was never intended.
Good solid low to mid range rounds will give you years of fun.
2. Find the best components you can. Most of those milsurp rounds you mentioned are still being made somewhere! Even if you can only buy loaded rounds. If you have to use surplus, thourouly inspect and discard ANY questionable cases.
3. Hang out at a range and find someone else shooting a classic. Chances are they will have stuff to share/sell in a caliber you need. Buy'em a beer or lunch and make a friend!
4. Have fun!! I firmly believe old guns if in good shape should be fired and appreciated.

Best of luck!
I'm very conservative on anything related to reloading. I've always had a very healthy respect and minor fear anyway, so no worries on that end. Many years in the firearms industry have allowed me to gain plenty of knowledge of components, etc. I've joined a reloading forum and gaining plenty of advice and knowledge. Of course YouTube has been great.

Now that I've loaded a few basic pistol rounds and shot them at the range, I'm starting to understand the fun of reloading. Yeah, I can buy milsurp rounds and even on occasion newly made stuff. But they want an arm and a leg. I passed on a nice French MAS a while back because I couldn't find any ammo for it. But the components are still out there.

Thanks for the reply, I'd still like to just sit down or chat with someone for a little while.

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

You're too far away or I'd help you out.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Tex1961 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:36 am Just as the title says.. I just got my (new to me) Lee turret press over the weekend. The guy I bought it from helped set it up and ran me through reloading some 9mm. I've spend the last month or so scouring websites, articles, etc. on reloading. So between the two I think I've got a pretty decent head start.

My biggest issue is that I never really wanted to reload,, but since I went down the Milsurp road, I found that I needed to learn if I ever wanted to shoot any of the older calibers. 6.6 and 7.7 Jap.. 8mm, Carcano and more. While I think I have a decent knowledge base I would still love to talk to someone for a little while just to be sure I'm being safe, etc. Every time I think I know enough, I run across another article and I'm back to zero.

Thanks
I am local and I will help you. I and a long time reloader and here is my YouTuble Channel as jump start for your quest. I reload for pistol, plinking ammo for rifle and for precision long range rifle too.
Just PM me.
https://www.youtube.com/@YERAFirearms
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Topic author
Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Beiruty wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:20 pm
Tex1961 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:36 am Just as the title says.. I just got my (new to me) Lee turret press over the weekend. The guy I bought it from helped set it up and ran me through reloading some 9mm. I've spend the last month or so scouring websites, articles, etc. on reloading. So between the two I think I've got a pretty decent head start.

Thanks
I am local and I will help you. I and a long time reloader and here is my YouTuble Channel as jump start for your quest. I reload for pistol, plinking ammo for rifle and for precision long range rifle too.
Just PM me.
https://www.youtube.com/@YERAFirearms
You sir. Are the man. I’ll send over a PM soon. I think we’re only a few minutes away from each other. I’m McDermott and Coit Rd area. Looking at your videos I think it was meant to be since I also have a Lee progressive press. Be warned if you come over, I will force you to look at all of my Milsurp rifles. 😂

Return to “Reloading Forum”