For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Piney
Posts in topic: 1

Costs of reloading ??

Post by Piney »

Greetings--

We were just talking about getting a reloading setup the other day-- great thread and info ( as usual).

One of the questions that came up when were discussing this was the aprox cost per round. We both shoot 9mm. We get out to the range 2-3 times a week. We usualy shoot 150-200 rds each every time we go out so that's around 900-1k rds a week.

Considering reloading made sense, but we didn't know about how much a reloaded round costs. Obviously if we get out to the range 2-3 times a week, we've got time available to reload :-) so time and capmtail equipment costs arent an issue.

From what I read-- a reloaded 9mm round runs arond .08-.09 each. Accurate cost ? I can buy factory ammo (CCI or Win) for that.

What about other calibers ? Since we don't shoot/.buy .40 0r .45 (yet... Ya never know what Santa brings....)-- how do those costs play out ?

Thanks--

BobCat
Posts in topic: 1

Post by BobCat »

Depends on the bullet you load and whether you have a lot of saved brass.

I used to load a 125 g JSP from Wideners, that cost about $44 per thousand. That's almost 4-1/2¢ each.

Primers used to be about $15 per thousand, and Unique was about $12 per pound. That comes out to about 1.5¢ per primer, and 5.5 grains Unique (7000 grains per pound) about a penny. Not counting brass that comes to about 7¢ per round.

I quit loading 9 mm and shoot lots of Winchester white box. I have a large box of once-fired brass, for when the factory 9 mm gets expensive, and I go back to loading it. Meanwhile, it is truly worthwhile to load .45 ACP, and of course if you want a particular load (a match load or target load, or a special light load for introducing new shooters) - reloading is the only way to go.

Check Powder Valley or some other places on the web - e.g. Natchez, Midway, Graf & Sons - for current powder/primer prices. If you load lead bullets (many people do not like lead in 9 mm) that can save you some pennies per round.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Andrew
Retractable claws; the *original* concealed carry

Return to “Reloading Forum”