Considering reloading

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
bauerdj
Posts in topic: 1

Considering reloading

Post by bauerdj »

I am considering getting into reloading and need information. I have reloaded shotshells in the past, also .30 - .30 using a hand die many years ago. I had been shooting 9MM exclusively and there was little incentive to reload, within the last three months I have added .45 ACP, 38 Spec., and 380 Auto to my collection and the economics on all of these are much more in favor of reloading.

I am real new to reloading other then the hand die I used 30 years ago. I need to know what equipment I will need and how expensive it will be. Also what is a necessity to start and what is optional and can be added later.

I will probably start out with the .45 ACP and 38 Spec., the 380 is touchy on what ammo I use and probably not the caliber to start out on. (The savings on reloading 380 would be pretty high as 380 Auto ammo seems to be overpriced)

Would appreciate any info I can get. Also is there a good market in used reloading equipment? It would be nice to be able to get most or all of what I need in a package and also save some money.

Don't know that it matters but for info I will only be reloading 'hardball' target ammo at least for the forseeable future.

Dave B.

DustinB

Post by DustinB »

Well I bought a full used kit at a gun show complete with a toolbox for just under $400. Here's what I would recommend getting when just starting out:

Single Stage or Turret Press - I suggest Lee
Powder Measure - I suggest Lyman
Hand Priming Tool - I suggest Lee
Powder Scale - Any will do, but a digital would be a real timesaver
Brass Tumbler - Not absolutely necessary but you will want one for easy cleaning
Sets of Dies for .45ACP and .38 Special - I suggest Lee
Bullet Loading Tray
Good Dial Caliper or Digital Caliper - Don't buy a cheapo, you want accuracy here
Good Reloading Manual - Many recommend Lyman

With all of this stuff I can load 100 .40 S&W rounds in exactly 50 minutes, so whether you need to load faster or not will make your choice on a press I listed or something more expensive like a progressive. All of this stuff will get you reloading in minutes. You can check places like midwayusa.com and natchezss.com for pricing. If a gun show is comeing up you might want to write down some prices and checkout what the gunshow has. Later you will probably want the following:

Case Trimmer
Deburring/Chamfer Tool
Kinetic Bullet Puller

I would imagine all of the first listed stuff could be had for around $350 give or take a bit.

Also don't forget brass, bullets, powder, and primers of course.

If you are wanting used equipment you can checkout ebay or your local paper or search around the net. For your brass ebay is pretty good place to get decent once fired brass. I would get powder, bullets, and primers locally. The hazmat and shipping fees really add up. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask.

No4Mk1

Post by No4Mk1 »

Really great advice above. All I would add to that is the following:

The best video I have seen that explains the basics of reloading is "Reloading 1 - Basic-Intermediate" put out by the Varmint Hunters Association. You can find it here.

http://www.lockstock.com/prodinfo.asp?number=VARV1

A bargain investment at $10 and will give you a really good idea on how to get started.
The beauty of Grace is that it makes life not fair.

http://www.guncollectorsforum.com

Amy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Amy »

I think you will really like reloading, I know I do, and now I have 5 presses with all the goodies that go along with them, 2 powered case trimmers, an electronic powder dispenser, which is pretty neat, and too much other stuff to mention.

Are you into Lee Enfields? I have a MK1 no. 4 I'm looking to sell and it's in very nice condition.

a.
Amy Lewis
PGB Superior Cast Bullets
Ranger, Texas
(254) 433-9073

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Loaders, looks like we may have a an excellent resourse here. Charles helps us w/ legal advice. Our LEO's w/ the enforcement ?'s. Carl & I help w/ the Word, txinvestigator & El Gato, (several others too) w/ training, Amy, what are your fees for advice on our loading q's & problems? :shock:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Amy

Post by Amy »

longtooth wrote:Loaders, looks like we may have a an excellent resourse here. Charles helps us w/ legal advice. Our LEO's w/ the enforcement ?'s. Carl & I help w/ the Word, txinvestigator & El Gato, (several others too) w/ training, Amy, what are your fees for advice on our loading q's & problems? :shock:
Fees? LOL! I'm happy to help anyway I can. I know I had a lot of questions when I started out, and a lot of good people helped me get started.

a.
Last edited by Amy on Tue May 09, 2006 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amy Lewis
Ranger, Texas
(254) 433-9073

gene

reloading

Post by gene »

Go for it I think you will enjoy reloading everbody i know that reloads likes doing it.

Amy

Post by Amy »

I'd like to add one thing here, it's been my observation of the years of handloading that meticulous case prep is the best edge you can give yourself at the firing line.

a.
Amy Lewis
Ranger, Texas
(254) 433-9073

CaptDave

Post by CaptDave »

All of the above is excellent advice.

I did it a little different though. A couple of years ago when I realized I was -and would be- burning up mucho ammo since I had recently taken up IDPA, I knew I needed to "roll my own".

So, I did some research and asked a bunch of questions and decided to "start with the loader I was going to end up with". Which turned out to be the Dillon 550B. An excellent and very poplular machine that will turn out a lot of rounds without getting too costly or complicated (relatively speaking). List is around $350.00 base price, but you WILL be adding more goodies to it (ie: more $)- probably at the time you order it.

Some good deals can be found on these though, through people who are either moving up - or out of reloading.

Good Luck
"An armed society is a polite society"

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

CaptDave wrote:All of the above is excellent advice.

I did it a little different though. A couple of years ago when I realized I was -and would be- burning up mucho ammo since I had recently taken up IDPA, I knew I needed to "roll my own".

So, I did some research and asked a bunch of questions and decided to "start with the loader I was going to end up with". Which turned out to be the Dillon 550B. An excellent and very poplular machine that will turn out a lot of rounds without getting too costly or complicated (relatively speaking). List is around $350.00 base price, but you WILL be adding more goodies to it (ie: more $)- probably at the time you order it.

Some good deals can be found on these though, through people who are either moving up - or out of reloading.

Good Luck
CaptDave has an excellent post. If you decide to go that route your welcome to come over and give my dillon a test drive. It's set up for .45ACP. From another post It seems that your just down the road.

Return to “Reloading Forum”