Need help on deciding what to get.

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
KinnyLee
Posts in topic: 13

Need help on deciding what to get.

Post by KinnyLee »

So, I've decided on a Dillon XL 650, but other than the media seperator and tumbler, what else do I need? Here is what I'm planning to get so far.

650 Only Strong Mount @ $ 35.95

Casefeed Assembly - Large Pistol (650/1050) @ $ 189.95

Powder Check System - 650/1050 only @ $ 62.95

Low Powder sensor @ $ 39.95

One in. Bench Wrench w/Five 1 in. Lock Rings @ $ 7.95

Dillon 45 ACP/GAP 3-die carbide set @ $ 55.95

Dillon XL 650 in 45 ACP @ $ 479.95

Any other help is appreciated. :cool:

Norm Lee
Posts in topic: 1

What else?

Post by Norm Lee »

I'd argue that the low powder sensor is far from a necessity.

Might even forego the powder check system, but that system does provide a certain warm and fuzzy.

You need a couple of manuals. One should be Lyman's.

You'll need a scale. I like the Pact BBK. Digital.

Recommend a primer flip tray and a few exter primer filler tubes.

The 650 is an excellent choice.

Cheers,

Norm

Topic author
KinnyLee

Post by KinnyLee »

Hi Norm. Thanks for responding. Taking off the powder sensor and adding a flip tray and tubes. I'm looking into digital scales. Do you think I will need a caliper as well?

dws1117
Posts in topic: 3

Post by dws1117 »

KinnyLee, +1 to what Norm Lee posted. Especially a good scale. I've no experience with the digitals but the RCBS balance beam scale has worked very well.

The primer flip trays are handy.

More primer magazines aren't a necesity but very handy.

Dial calipers are a good thing to have.

There's more but my brain is tired. I'm sure others will have more.

Topic author
KinnyLee

Post by KinnyLee »

Thanks DWS! You think it's okay with just a triple beam balance?

Topic author
KinnyLee

Post by KinnyLee »

Update on the list so far.

Eliminator balance-beam scale @ $ 49.95

Dial Calipers non-D @ $ 28.00

4 Large Primer Pickup tubes @ $ 16.95

Primer flip tray @ $ 13.95

650 Only Strong Mount @ $ 35.95

Casefeed Assembly - Large Pistol (650/1050) @ $ 189.95

Low Powder sensor @ $ 39.95

One in. Bench Wrench w/Five 1 in. Lock Rings @ $ 7.95

Dillon 45 ACP/GAP 3-die carbide set @ $ 55.95

Dillon XL 650 in 45 ACP @ $ 479.95

LOL, the credit card company is going to love me. I still haven't looked at the media seperator and tumbler yet. So much for being on a budget. :grin:

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

Yes Kinny the triple balance beam scale is fine. The Dillon scale and the RCBS scales are both made by Ohaus. The bases have different shapes and color, but the working are the same on both. It seems very accurate and it's easy to use.

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

Also, here is a tip that can save yourself a few minutes while batch loading. Preload several primer tubes. I've built myself a tube holder. It is a small piece of 4x4 with several holes drilled that are slightly larger that the tube diameter. This will hold the tube upright and it'll be quick to grab one and reload the primers when the warning sounds.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

You're going to love the 650. I'll let you in a little experiment I've run on the case feeder. I use the large pistol disk for everything from 38 super through 45's and it works just fine. I also have the small rifle disk, but I haven't loaded any rifle calibers on the 650 yet.

Chas.

Houston1944

Post by Houston1944 »

I also do not believe the Low Powder sensor is worth 40 bucks. I went from a 550 to a 650 5 years ago and have never failed to notice when I was low on powder. I do recommend the Powder Check System. It's just low cost insurance that's worth the one time price. I have one for all of my 650 setups. The "bench wrench" is the only product I have ever purchased from Dillon that was truly worthless. I threw mine in the trash. Maybe they have improved it since then but if not then I would drop it from the list. I use standard toolbox wrenches for my changes and adjustments.
Dial or digital calibers are not a luxury, they are a necessity.
The roller bar handle is nice but you can always add it later. With the "ball" handle I would recommend you slip a thick sock over the ball. It will keep you from getting blisters in the palm of your hand when you first start loading.

DustinB

Post by DustinB »

If you have the money and time is important to you I would go with a $100 RCBS digital scale. It will save you lots of time and headaches setting your charge. I absolutely hate waiting for beams to settle down.

CaptDave

Post by CaptDave »

Congratulations on starting with the reloader you would have ended up with! :thumbsup:

And, since you asked, IMO, I would pass on the Powder Check system. At first I too thought "cool" one less thing to worry about. However, you need to visually check each and every case for powder and I think the powder check system would lead to complacency in that regard.

Start with the roller handle, 'cause you're gonna end up with it anyway.

Must have the primer early warning system if it's not already included with 650. (I'm out of state right now, so I don't have a copy of the "Blue Press" handy to double check).

Not sure what all comes std. with the 650, but you'll want bins that mount to the strong mount that will hold your bullets on one side and loaded ammo on the other. Don't forget boxes to stow the finished products in.

Have fun!
"An armed society is a polite society"

Topic author
KinnyLee

Post by KinnyLee »

Hi CaptDave! Thanks for the advice. I think there is a package that includes the strong mount, roller handle, and bullet tray. I'll check into that. I never did see a early primer warning system. I'll look into it again. :cool: And I've been saving boxes from the ammos I've bought so I think I'm good for now. :lol:

Topic author
KinnyLee

Post by KinnyLee »

Houston1944 wrote:I also do not believe the Low Powder sensor is worth 40 bucks. I went from a 550 to a 650 5 years ago and have never failed to notice when I was low on powder. I do recommend the Powder Check System. It's just low cost insurance that's worth the one time price. I have one for all of my 650 setups. The "bench wrench" is the only product I have ever purchased from Dillon that was truly worthless. I threw mine in the trash. Maybe they have improved it since then but if not then I would drop it from the list. I use standard toolbox wrenches for my changes and adjustments.
Dial or digital calibers are not a luxury, they are a necessity.
The roller bar handle is nice but you can always add it later. With the "ball" handle I would recommend you slip a thick sock over the ball. It will keep you from getting blisters in the palm of your hand when you first start loading.
Thanks for the advice Houston and Dustin. :smile:

seadawg221
Posts in topic: 2

Post by seadawg221 »

I have been "thinking about" getting back into reloading again and the same set-up you are wanting is what I am considering. After my KABOOM experience I would definately go with the Powder Check System.

I highly recommend a digital scale. Working with a balance bean scale in my opinion is very slow especially when using a powder like Bullseye and you are only using 5 grains of powder.

When you get your system and get it set up I sure would like to come over and see how it all works.

I had the Sqaure Deal B and although it worked very well it was a little slow. If you get a chance you can go over to T's Ammo in Texa City and they will give you a little tour of of their facility...its really cool and they use lot's of Dillion equipment.

Return to “Reloading Forum”