Polishing

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
longtooth
Posts in topic: 5

Polishing

Post by longtooth »

some of you guys use car polish for your brass.

What do you use & How much. As many of yall that like it, I am going to try it.

Thanks & :tiphat: seeya tonight after church.
LT
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Capt Roy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Polishing

Post by Capt Roy »

Longtooth...

I use one cap of Nu-Finish every other load in the corn media... I think it helps when resizing...

I like real clean brass.. I have two tumblers and run the brass a couple of hours in walnut and then a couple hours in corn with Nu-Finish..
Capt Roy
"If it doesn't work, read the instructions. If it still doesn't work, follow them!"
CHL Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor and Range Safety Officer

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

:iagree:

Same as above. 1/2 cap full of Nu-finish (every few cleaning sessions) and corn cob media.

Actually, I have two containers for my tumbler, if the brass is especially dirty (range pick-ups/other) then I run them through my container with 1/2 corn cob....1/2 80 grit aluminum oxide (it cleans them very quickly).

Then, I retrieve them and put them into the other container (100 % corn cob and Nu-finish), to put the final bright polish on them.

For my normal reloads I just use corn cob and a small amount of polish (it doesn't take a lot). If your media starts getting "clumpy" or feels oily....its time to change it (and back off of the polish some).
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

AggieMM

Post by AggieMM »

:iagree: x2

Hmm, but now I'm wondering if I'm using too much. :) I use a cap of NuFinish each polish cycle, but my media is 75% corncob, 25% crushed walnut. I've compared my finished product with friends who don't use NuFinish, and I've noticed two things. My cases appeared to be shinier, and felt more slick. I too think it helps with the reloading process.

Ryan

Topic author
longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Will get some Monday.
Thanks guys.
LT
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

AggieMM wrote::iagree: x2

Hmm, but now I'm wondering if I'm using too much. :) I use a cap of NuFinish each polish cycle, but my media is 75% corncob, 25% crushed walnut. I've compared my finished product with friends who don't use NuFinish, and I've noticed two things. My cases appeared to be shinier, and felt more slick. I too think it helps with the reloading process.

Ryan
Depends on how much media you are using, how many cases you are cleaning/polishing and if your media has been previously treated.

Initially, (new untreated media) you'll probably want to add a couple of caps full, run the tumbler for about 30 minutes BEFORE adding brass to allow time for the Nu-finish to coat the media (no clumps).

After the first treatment, I just add a 1/2 cap full every few cleanings. You can also use an old dyer sheet (used for anti-static) to help clean the media. I don't bother with that anymore, media is cheap...so when it gets dirty...I just change it.

dejadoo

Post by dejadoo »

Is this the right stuff (the liquid)?

http://nufinish.com/products_polish.html

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

dejadoo wrote:Is this the right stuff (the liquid)?

http://nufinish.com/products_polish.html
Thats the stuff (liquid).

Luggo1

Post by Luggo1 »

I use the Nu Finish everyone has said or Flitz, about a cap full every couple of loads. I also tear the dryer sheets into strip and use those two... spring fresh smelling brass....

Luggo

Gyrogearhead
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Gyrogearhead »

A couple of weeks ago I was cleaning out a corner of my garage and found a really old bottle of "Turtle Wax" car polish that I was going to put in the trash until I remembered some talk here about using car polish to clean brass. I put about a half a shot glass of the polish in the vibratory cleaner on top of the 50-50 mix of corn cob and wallnut shell and 400 45acp cases and let 'er rip for two hours. Brass came out looking like a shiney new car. :thumbs2: I was amazed at the difference compaired to just using the 50-50 mixture.

It does a really great job and I expect the wax coating will keep the brass from tarnishing while waiting in the "clean brass" box. The only downside is that now there is also a turtle wax coating on the inside of my cleaning machine. I don't think it will hurt anything to leave it in there for now but I'll keep watching to see if it forms an objectionable build up.
"With atomic weapons, as in many other things, knowing what to do isn't nearly so important as knowing what NOT to do." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer, 1946

Wisdom comes from reading the instructions. Experience comes from not reading them!

Topic author
longtooth

Post by longtooth »

This is working really good for me too. First time I tried this.
:tiphat: Thanks guys.

UpTheIrons
Posts in topic: 2

Post by UpTheIrons »

How does the car polish do compared to media that's been pre-coated with rouge? My Lyman Tufnut (walnut only - no corncob) is just about gone, so now's the time to try something new.
"I don't know how that would ever be useful, but I want two!"

Springs are cheap - your gun and your life aren't.

Griz44

Post by Griz44 »

How does the car polish do compared to media that's been pre-coated with rouge?
Function wise, there is little or no difference.
For the price of one bowl full of the commercially prepared stuff, I can have 25 bowls full of home brew. (Bird cage walnut and Nu-Finish)

Return to “Reloading Forum”